Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 09:44 PM

Default Zeiss Conquest HD5 review/help

Hey everyone, I've tracked down a zeiss hd5 3-15x42 that seems to be in great condition. It would be replacing a vx3i on my 300win. The guy is asking $750 (which seems like a fair price from anything else I can see). Anyone have one of these? What do you love/hate about it? Good price or should I try and talk him down? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 09:53 PM

I currently own four HD-5 scopes, and I have owned up to seven at one time. They are clear, bright, track well and hold zero, I have no complaints at all. All of mine have the locking
target turrets which I prefer to any other target turrets.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
Hey everyone, I've tracked down a zeiss hd5 3-15x42 that seems to be in great condition. It would be replacing a vx3i on my 300win. The guy is asking $750 (which seems like a fair price from anything else I can see). Anyone have one of these? What do you love/hate about it? Good price or should I try and talk him down? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
What VX3i are you planning on replacing with the Zeiss? Both are very good glass, unless you were switching for a different recital or magnification range I don't think one glass is better then the other.

Price is asking seems fair.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
What VX3i are you planning on replacing with the Zeiss? Both are very good glass, unless you were switching for a different recital or magnification range I don't think one glass is better then the other.

Price is asking seems fair.
3.5-10x40 duplex for rz800. I actually prefer duplex reticle, just needing a different eye box as I'm always having to stretch my neck forward.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
3.5-10x40 duplex for rz800. I actually prefer duplex reticle, just needing a different eye box as I'm always having to stretch my neck forward.
That sounds like a mounting problem
Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That sounds like a mounting problem
Yeah I'm going to fool around with it a bit tomorrow before pulling the trigger. I have it set back about as far as I can already though.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to fool around with it a bit tomorrow before pulling the trigger. I have it set back about as far as I can already though.
If you can't get the proper eye relief at any magnification, try a different mounting system. If you find that the eye relief changes with magnification, go with a scope with constant eye relief.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you can't get the proper eye relief at any magnification, try a different mounting system. If you find that the eye relief changes with magnification, go with a scope with constant eye relief.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Price is right. The reticle is a little coarse but that's the only complaint I would have.

WC
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM

I've had that size for several years now and have been very happy. I haven't had any issues. I have the Rapid Z reticle which I like but is a little more visually confusing. I am still tempted by a custom turret for longer distance shooting however.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:07 PM

Just make sure it’s not a counterfeit.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I own four Zeiss scopes. Two with Z Plex 600 reticles and two with duplex reticles. With some research and experimentation you can determine a power setting and load that will correlate to the hold over values built into the Z 600 reticles. To me this is far superior to simply guessing or estimating hold over for shots beyond 200 yards. Personally I would go with the Z800. By the way, I think the price being asked for the Zeiss is excellent.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I own four Zeiss scopes. Two with Z Plex 600 reticles and two with duplex reticles. With some research and experimentation you can determine a power setting and load that will correlate to the hold over values built into the Z 600 reticles. To me this is far superior to simply guessing or estimating hold over for shots beyond 200 yards. Personally I would go with the Z800. By the way, I think the price being asked for the Zeiss is excellent.
This^^^^
I have the same scope the OP has with Rapid Z 600. It’s so fast acquiring targets greater than 200 yards. I shot a doe in the heart on Sunday at 300. No hold over, such a breeze
Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 AM

I have one on my .300. Bought new on SALE $1400.00. So the price is very fair. No dialing just range aim and shoot. Also the ballistic calculation app is very accurate. Just need to enter bullet and velocity.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:54 AM

i have a 5-25x50 that i will ikely be looking at selling after the season also if interested PM me.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:51 PM

I have the exact scope you mentioned (along with another Zeiss or two) - no issues whatsoever. Nice and clear, bright and holds very well.

I'd say between that the Vx3 series - you are really splitting hairs at that point. Very comparable in my opinion - I have a few Vx3's as well.

You won't be disappointed in that price - I'm pretty sure I paid a little more for mine on sale at Prophet River a few years ago - so if it's in good shape - I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Just make sure it’s not a counterfeit.
Never ran across that - doesn't surprise me - but never heard of that on rifle scopes specifically.

Is there a way to tell? just curious ........ luckily all of my glass was purchased new through a reputable dealer or retailer - but curious.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Never ran across that - doesn't surprise me - but never heard of that on rifle scopes specifically.

Is there a way to tell? just curious ........ luckily all of my glass was purchased new through a reputable dealer or retailer - but curious.
Lots of fake scopes! Not simple to tell. The zeiss conquest mc reticle is one quite often.
Many fake leupold Mark 4.

Easiest way is look at the box as usually they seem off. Second easiest call and verify the serial number.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Many have lighted reticles when the maker doesn’t normally make them.