Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Buying licenses online in the field

So someone I know is explaining to me that they got their tags in the mail and that they can buy their licenses online in the field I think he was trying to tell me that he could shoot something and then buy a tag I told them that it's probably not the way it was meant to be and that would be illegal and there's got to be some fail safe for that reason does anyone know thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
So someone I know is explaining to me that they got their tags in the mail and that they can buy their licenses online in the field I think he was trying to tell me that he could shoot something and then buy a license I told them that it's probably not the way it was meant to be and that would be illegal and there's got to be some fail safe for that reason does anyone know thanks.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:49 PM

I bought a fishing license on our way to Canmore from Fairmont. It was very convenient. I looked more like a fool with a whip than a fly fisherman, but I still bought the license before we were there. I can see how people can take advantage of this like you mentioned. It might go from buying the tag only because you saw something you wanted to shoot, to shooting something and then maybe buying the tag afterwards.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
So someone I know is explaining to me that they got their tags in the mail and that they can buy their licenses online in the field I think he was trying to tell me that he could shoot something and then buy a tag I told them that it's probably not the way it was meant to be and that would be illegal and there's got to be some fail safe for that reason does anyone know thanks.

I’ve had this convo a few times myself with people and you definitely could do that,just need a printer in your vehicle and within a few secs have the printed license in your possession. If the whole online thing takes over then you wouldn’t need the paper copy anymore. But then there will be a time line stamp so I guess unless you could prove you actually purchased the license before you shot then it still would be legal.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:01 PM

I've had this discussion a few times too, its not as easy as you think. You have to enter the tag number to buy a license and the license is time stamped. You can buy them from anywhere but you can't buy them as the CO's rolling up, they'll know whats up. lol
Old 10-18-2020, 03:08 PM

You don’t need a printer. You need blank tags and an Alberta relm app. Decided today to actually kill a doe as my son was with me (I don’t normally buy Supp tags). I had a couple blanks, purchased the license and shot the deer 20 mins later. Very convenient.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:38 PM

You totally can do it.

Download the alberta relm app, there is a section for ordering blank tags that’ll have them shipped to your house.

Then, if you have reception, you can buy the tag using the app and the number from one of the “blank” tags.

I still do it old school and buy the tag for a specific animal before I head out. I wonder if the system was meant to be used this way or this is just a loophole?

Think about it, legally the tag is the first thing that should be applied when harvesting an animal. It’d be next to impossible to prove that the animal was shot before the tag was purchased.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
You totally can do it.

Download the alberta relm app, there is a section for ordering blank tags that’ll have them shipped to your house.

Then, if you have reception, you can buy the tag using the app and the number from one of the “blank” tags.

I still do it old school and buy the tag for a specific animal before I head out. I wonder if the system was meant to be used this way or this is just a loophole?

Think about it, legally the tag is the first thing that should be applied when harvesting an animal. It’d be next to impossible to prove that the animal was shot before the tag was purchased.
It’s a huge loophole of you are dishonest yes. Digital tags are what I champion. Once “folded” it cannot be revered. Caught without a digitally “folded” tag and you’re in hot water. It would eliminate harvest reporting too. It’s a no brainer and hopefully a change that will happen one day
Old 10-18-2020, 04:55 PM

Well I guess if some honest Hunters have thought of this, the the unethical Hunters already know about it.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:55 PM

A simple solution would be for a 24 hours wait period before the purchased licence is valid.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You don’t need a printer. You need blank tags and an Alberta relm app. Decided today to actually kill a doe as my son was with me (I don’t normally buy Supp tags). I had a couple blanks, purchased the license and shot the deer 20 mins later. Very convenient.
I apologize I thought having the whole blank tag part of this convo was obvious. What I was getting at was just the printed license portion of the two pieces. I personally have had grief over the relm app for proof so was simply stating until all officers are following the app you just need a printer in your truck to get that copy of your license in paper.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A simple solution would be for a 24 hours wait period before the purchased licence is valid.

Yup. This is the case with some tags in BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
I apologize I thought having the whole blank tag part of this convo was obvious. What I was getting at was just the printed license portion of the two pieces. I personally have had grief over the relm app for proof so was simply stating until all officers are following the app you just need a printer in your truck to get that copy of your license in paper.
New this year your allowed to have electronic proof of licensing
Old 10-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
No need to apologize.
The relm app electronic licenses are now accepted
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You totally can do it.

I 100% do not believe that this is the intended way of the online system to be used. The funds raised by purchasing Tags, Draws, WIN Cards, Wild Life Certificate, etc.. whether or not you harvest an animal, goes back into the conservation and wild life management (after the government takes there "share" of course...) Thats at least thats what I tell myself If/When I don't fill a certain tag that season When in doubt chalk it off to helping Conservation and Wild Life Management haha.

However, I agree with walking buffalo with having a 24 hour waiting period for validation as the online system could be useful for those in remote areas were a convenience store that sells tags isn't readily available or if your out on a hunt and find yourself on some animals you didn't expect to see (and manage to have reception). But one thing is for sure, if there's a way for un-ethical hunters to use the system to their advantage.. They will, however that being said, its not the CO's first rodeo, they can see when the tag was purchased and can typically tell how long an animal has been dead for (especially if they watch you harvest the animal.)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That would be a good solution. Otherwise a person can shoot the animal, buy his license before even approaching the animal, and then tag the animal and appear to have done things legally. Unless an officer was present and watching, the person would never get caught.
On the other hand, it would have been convenient for a friend last year, who I took to another friends place to shoot a mule deer. We were glassing from the truck, saw a whitetail buck, and could not attempt a stalk because he didn't have a whitetail license. Had he had tags with him, he could have purchased his license with his phone, and we could then have attempted a stalk.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 AM

No matter what rules and laws are in place, there will always be those that want to "game" the system . This will never change
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No matter what rules and laws are in place, there will always be those that want to "game" the system . This will never change
Cat
Very true, but we should try not to make it too easy for them.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:10 AM

One thought on this subject is "how will it effect government hunting generated revenues?" if hunters start buying tags on a "need" basis rather than a "hope to harvest" basis, won't that cut down on the number of tags sold? Many tags go unused in a season but it would seem that digital licensing would reduce the numbers not folded. I'm sure this will be addressed in the near future.
In areas without digital communication it would not be an issue because any tag would have to be pre-purchased.
I also agree with a 24 hour pre-purchase plan.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
You totally can do it.

unless they got eyes on and walk up as you fumble with your phone....eitherway there are going to azz clowns out there attempting to illegally hunt....sad but that's just the way it goes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Very true, but we should try not to make it too easy for them.
Ease of breaking rules does not matter too some, they will actually work harder at breaking rules than following them.
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Ease of breaking rules does not matter too some, they will actually work harder at breaking rules than following them.
Cat
And sadly enough, that is also true. All that we can do is to try and keep the people that are generally honest , from stepping over the line.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:30 PM

So something needs to be done about this! Who would you contact even to bring up this flaw.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:55 PM

All they need to do is say you have to buy the tag 24 hours before shooting the animal.
I thought of this a long time ago it’s bin like this for a few years now. It is not illegal to buy the tag and then shoot it but it is if you shoot it and then buy the tag. I alway buy all the tags every year before I go. But it would be easy enough to see something and then decide sure I’ll send the money and get a tag. The only way to control people taking advantage of this is to give a 24 hour rule. It would be impossible to prove if you bought the tag first and then shoot or shot first and buy after because you would have the tag in hand when walking up to the animal there’s no way to prove how long ago you shot unless they are watching you. Or in rifle season I guess they could hear the shot and document the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
So something needs to be done about this! Who would you contact even to bring up this flaw.

I would suggest Jason Nixon (Minister of Environment and Parks) if you want to advise someone as to this loop hole. A 24 hr delay would work. Hard to get around that.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM

This might stir the pot, but, why does everyone here care so much if a person purchased a tag just before or just after taking an animal?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I bet the money the government receives from tag purchases goes into general coffers.(same location the carbon tax you pay for goes into) How many of you purchased tags and never filled them in the past? Kind of felt like a tax didn't it... The government keeps taking more, taxing more; someone show me how this has translated into improved hunting opportunities and game management. Maybe I am just unaware.

Sure, impose a 24hr rule, but let's see the income generated from outdoorsmen and women go to good use, for a change.

Last edited by ab_hunter; 10-19-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
This might stir the pot, but, why does everyone here care so much if a person purchased a tag just before or just after taking an animal?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I bet the money the government receives from tag purchases goes into general coffers.(same location the carbon tax you pay for goes into) How many of you purchased tags and never filled them in the past? Kind of felt like a tax didn't it... The government keeps taking more, taxing more; someone show me how this has translated into improved hunting opportunities and game management. Maybe I am just unaware.

Sure, impose a 24hr rule, but let's see the income generated from outdoorsmen and women go to good use, for a change.
I could care less if someone buys the license just before they harvest an animal. but buying it after the harvest is poaching.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post

Because enforcement of non licensed poachers would be an impossible task. All it would take is someone not buying a license, killing an animal, "forgetting" to buy the tag (which in your world would be ok) depositing in the freezer and getting out there and killing another. Pre-purchased licensing is the only way to keep some semblance of accountability.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
makes sense......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-19-2020, 07:37 PM

Not a concern of mine

If someone shoots a deer and then buys the tag, at least he bought the tag. Yup he did it in reverse order, but he bought a tag.

Beats the hell out of someone else shooting 10 moose without a license just because they can