Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If u can find even you wallet card or a copy of your high school transcript AHEA will issue you a current numbered cert. That is what I did in 2016 when I needed proof to get a hunting license in Hawaii and I passed mine in 1969 and all I had was the wallet card because I took mine at the Edm Fish and Game office on tower road in edmonton. Never put the number on the Alberta system as I have had a license since then and didn't need to prove I had passed the course or that I had been an instructor for years.
So I took the test at a F&W office back around 2002 ish, I was young and moving around lots and never did receive any paperwork for it. Likely ended up in the wrong mailbox after I'd moved or something, but I could use my WIN to buy licences. Now I'd like to try and track that number down, any way of doing that?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And a person could be charged for up to ten years of holding licenses while not eligible. But given the 2010 date more than that isn't possible.
I do know a person that got charged for applying for NFLD moose for several years after he moved to Alberta, and he was charged for every year he applied. That cost him thousands of dollars.
All of the provinces and territories should get together and cross reference the data
I’d like to see them dish out some fines to the guys that were hunting multiple provinces/territories as residents
Old 10-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
All of the provinces and territories should get together and cross reference the data
I’d like to see them dish out some fines to the guys that were hunting multiple provinces/territories as residents
I would like to see that as well, but there is at least one situation where you can legally hunt as residents in two provinces. If you were born in Nova Scotia, and you still own property there, you are considered a resident, no matter where you actually reside.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
No kidding. They’d actually have to care though....
Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 PM

Default F&w in the wrong

I have a friend who ran into this before and he's been hunting since the 97. Fish and wildlife dont know there own regulations, its always a cash grab when it comes to them. She can easily get off that one, and she should call the crowns office in the area she got the ticket and talk to them so that she can get that hold lifted.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, or 2) has not, prior to April 1, 2010, met Alberta first-time hunter criteria, or 3) has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere.
She's previously held a license, and it was prior to April 1, 2010... She could fight this on her own & win, no lawyer needed.
Not much to "interpretate" there...
Old 10-19-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post

My read is that if you held a hunting license in Alberta or elsewhere before 2010 you are not a first time hunter, ergo not required to have completed a course.
Exactly...

Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Would taking it again raise any red flags for those of us that have no proof?
I'm considering taking it again for the $70 but not sure if that would make them think I didn't have it.

I took mine in grade 8 or 9 and the school closed down after that.
Not sure how I could go about getting the number again.
I know the principal that taught it is still in town, wonder if he could sign something for me?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I'm considering taking it again for the $70 but not sure if that would make them think I didn't have it.

I know the principal that taught it is still in town, wonder if he could sign something for me?
In one sense, it could be seen as trying to cover something up after the fact, but it could also be seen as making an extra effort to comply.
I have never taken the course, even though my father taught the course after I left home. But since I have held licenses since 1972 in four provinces and two states, I definitely am not legally required to take the course. I have been drawing tags in Alberta since the 1980s, and I have registered elk, cougar and sheep over 20 years ago, so I doubt that I would ever be questioned about this. I guess they could scan my sheep and look up the registration to prove that I held a license long before the first time hunter restrictions came into effect.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
When I got my WIN card back in 2009 I think you had to check a box on the application that said something like you had taken a hunter safety course or held a hunting license in another province.

I got mine in Ontario so I checked the box, never needed to prove anything. seemed like a pretty big loop hole.
I took mine in Ontario as well and you had to turn in your paper saying you'd passed in order to get your first license. That was the "proof". You can email them and they will send you the Hunters Ed number which I have entered into my WIN account.

On the OPs situation, while it might be a bit greasy to lure her in, in the end if a person knows they are hunting without having passed the required course, it's on them. As for the "first time hunter" angle, the actual act will define what that means legally, and you can be sure it doesn't mean "as long as you got away with it once you're okay."

Take the course - I've hunted a long time and I still wouldn't object to taking the course again every few years.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:

The province should have a record of it and a number attached to it. Try emailing.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I took mine in Ontario as well and you had to turn in your paper saying you'd passed in order to get your first license. That was the "proof". You can email them and they will send you the Hunters Ed number which I have entered into my WIN account.

On the OPs situation, while it might be a bit greasy to lure her in, in the end if a person knows they are hunting without having passed the required course, it's on them. As for the "first time hunter" angle, the actual act will define what that means legally, and you can be sure it doesn't mean "as long as you got away with it once you're okay."

Take the course - I've hunted a long time and I still wouldn't object to taking the course again every few years.
Having looked over the course manuals my father had, and questioning a couple of friends who recently took the course, I see absolutely no value in taking the course a second time, let alone every few years. I would rather see a questionnaire on recent regulation changes in order to purchase your Wildlife Certificate , just to bring more attention to the regulation changes, that many people never pay any attention to.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
The province should have a record of it and a number attached to it. Try emailing.
I would not count on the Government having the records, they have not been able too find other records when asked .
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
This exact reason is why I took the course again! Back in 1993, I took a hunters ed course through my school in our outdoor ed class. When I called AHEIA, they told me that there were no records prior to when they started storing the certificates electronically. I retook the course because I had no proof of completing the course previously.
Same here, I did the course in grade 7 but had no proof. I never worried about it as I knew I was just one of many in Alberta who’s records were lost when administration of the course transferred from F&W to AHEIA. When I wanted to get a BC license a couple years ago I ended up doing the course online as quickly as possible because I needed that certificate number.

I was not overwhelmed. This is such a simple course I have little sympathy for an adult that can’t handle it.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
I haven’t had any problems so far, it’s been 2 seasons.

Quote:
From what I was told there are no records previous to AHIEA taking over the course delivery which I think was some time in the 90s.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Same here, I did the course in grade 7 but had no proof. I never worried about it as I knew I was just one of many in Alberta who’s records were lost when administration of the course transferred from F&W to AHEIA. When I wanted to get a BC license a couple years ago I ended up doing the course online as quickly as possible because I needed that certificate number.

I was not overwhelmed. This is such a simple course I have little sympathy for an adult that can’t handle it.
I think we both realize this is almost never the case, so grow up. It has to do with forking over money for absolutely no good reason. We are all forced to do this far too much, none of us wants to do it voluntarily.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:

They will have the record you took it... I took mine in 1987 never got a number back then. I contacted AHEIA and sent a copy of my card and certificate and they reissued a current card and cert with a number.

LC
Old 10-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Default Win

Haven't Win cards been around much longer than 10 years?
The old wording was definitely different than this 2010 wording...
Old 10-19-2020, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Full Curl Earl;4251151]Haven't Win cards been around much longer than 10 years?
The old wording was definitely different than this 2010 wording...[/QUOT

When I started instructing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education Program in 1993, we presented the course, gave the written exam and issued the student a signed card indicating they had successfully passed the course. That was it. As far as records go, I doubt there were any kept.
As I recall, completing the course was mandatory in order to obtain a first time Hunting license, even at that time.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I think we both realize this is almost never the case, so grow up. It has to do with forking over money for absolutely no good reason. We are all forced to do this far too much, none of us wants to do it voluntarily.
You would think so however I’ve heard people grumbling and talking about retakes so I’m not so sure about that.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
You would think so however I’ve heard people grumbling and talking about retakes so I’m not so sure about that.
Do you hear the voices right now?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Do you hear the voices right now?

Lol, no I Only hear the voices when I forget my hat.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They will have the record you took it... I took mine in 1987 never got a number back then. I contacted AHEIA and sent a copy of my card and certificate and they reissued a current card and cert with a number.

LC
You sent them your record as you still had your card. I strongly doubt AHEIA themselves had record of you taking the course.

Not saying what you did isn't worth noting. If you need a number to hunt out of province it is good to hear that they will honor your original card and certificate that didn't come with a number.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 AM

I took mine in the early '90's. Was able to challenge the multiple choice test at the local F&W office. Received my pass and applied for draws and bought licences ever since.

However, Early 2000's, My girlfriend at the time wanted to hunt, so I did what many have said, I checked the box for her when getting the WIN. All looked good, received the WIN card in the mail. Thought we had it be beat. That fall when we went to purchase her license, she was ineligible. In the end, had to take the course in order to hunt
Old 10-20-2020, 08:10 AM

The fact this is being discussed with over 4 pages tells me it needs a revamp on the clarity.
Greasy possum yes.
Should of just made her take the test.(if she even is supposed to. Which sounds like she doesn’t need to).
She’s gonna have trust issues with law enforcement now.
Trying to do the right thing and gets stepped on.
Sad.
If I was the officer taking the call I’d commend the young lady for wanting to abide and seeking the answers. Then make her do the test(if she even has to).
Instead of lumping her in basically the same category as criminals.
So sad. This Should be more of a discretionary call on the officers part.
He failed imo.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
You sent them your record as you still had your card. I strongly doubt AHEIA themselves had record of you taking the course.

Not saying what you did isn't worth noting. If you need a number to hunt out of province it is good to hear that they will honor your original card and certificate that didn't come with a number.
I have heard from others if you know the year you took it and the name of the instructor they can confirm the details.

LC
Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And a person could be charged for up to ten years of holding licenses while not eligible. But given the 2010 date more than that isn't possible.
I do know a person that got charged for applying for NFLD moose for several years after he moved to Alberta, and he was charged for every year he applied. That cost him thousands of dollars.
The problem is she still hasn't qualified as a first time hunter in the province. Until she takes the course or legally hunts in another province/state she's in violation of the law. So when it says "has not prior to April 1, 2010, met Alberta first-time hunter criteria", it doesn't apply to her, as she never met the requirement.

Now whether she needed a fine or not could be open for debate, but she's pretty clearly in the wrong. Personally I would have gave her the ticket and told her if she went and took the course I'd void it.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-20-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have heard from others if you know the year you took it and the name of the instructor they can confirm the details.

LC
Yea, I heard its pretty easy to get your number. I think I'll get mine just to have it on file. Used to have the old card around here somewhere, but its disappeared over the years.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Scenario. Who’s in the wrong?

“Hunter” has never taken the hunters Ed course. She has purchased licences annually back to 2008. Someone on Facebook tells her she’s hunting illegally for not having the course. The hunting regs say only a “first time hunter” needs the course and by their own definition she is not a first time hunter, so wouldn’t require it. Hunter calls the Smoky Lake F&W office to inquire, and Mr. Possum Cop tells her to go in person the next day to discuss in person (red flag). She goes in the next day and Tree Cop gives her a $120 ticket for holding/applying for a licence while ineligible. He takes it a step further and voids her purchased 2020 deer tag and freezes her AlbertaRELM account until she passes a hunters Ed course. Who’s in the wrong?
Would be ironic if she was the one who shot the hunter in the tree stand by Fairview lol.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:31 PM

She ****ed up period. Knowing she hadn’t taken to the course. The course is MANDATORY and ALWAYS has been. I know I don’t want people out there who HAVEN’T taken the course. What’s to argue? We ALL want to be safe and the ONLY way to ensure that is by taking the training. As far as I’m concerned people shouldn’t be able to “just take the test” at a sports and leisure show. What a joke that is. Any RESPECTABLE hunter takes the course that takes weeks!!