Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 PM

Default So - who here has had Covid ??

Not sure if this has been brought up or not ??

What say you, survivors ??

I personally don't know anyone that's had it - or at least admitted to it.

I'd personally like to take an antibody test, as I feel like my family has been "sick" twice since this whole ordeal started - although we typically get sick more with seasonal colds/flu..so who knows ??

Can you get an antibody test done ?? Would be kinda beneficial in a sense, if the virus has already run its course. Could quit hiding out on AO like a internet ninja and mingle like a Pringle.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:54 PM

I felt a bit off, but at most it was a Covid 16, maybe a low 17.

I got better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-07-2020, 10:58 PM

I know people in 7 countries on 4 continents. I have dozens of family members in Italy. My wife has dozens of family members in Portugal, and to a lesser degree, France. Through my work I daily talk to people across North America, but mostly Canada.
I don't know anyone, who directly knows anyone, who has tested positive.
Just lucky I guess...
Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 PM

I don't know anyone that has officially tested positive. We have had a couple guys at work that have had a tickle in their throat and have taken full advantage of mandatory paid vacation but oddly no word if they even tried to get tested...

Oh well, more overtime for me lol...
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 PM

My girl was sick in March and I had a touch but attributed it to a flu or something. I don't know anyone that has had it but the Bonnyville, NE AB has had very few cases. The last time I paid attention was seven and all got better.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 PM

So just which covid 19 virus do you think you now have immunity to? The virus has mutated, and the evolved strain seems to be more virulent than the 1.0 version.

That is the problem with immunity. Recovered people are getting sick again, when they should have antibodies. So why are the antibodies not protecting the recovered people?

The Governor of New York is perplexed because 66 % of recent cases where people who were self isolating. In other words, the precautions did not matter.

It seems that the scientists have no answers, but for much of the world, there is no massive infections / hospitalizations like the worst case scenario projections expected.

All that we can do is to start to go back to normal, with some serious precautions being taken if someone seems to be ill.

Local hotspots will still emerge as super carriers walk among us completely loaded up with virus, but suffering no effects as they spread the virus amongst us.

However, we cannot continue in this current state of isolation and panic. The World has to move forward, or very quickly the Government infrastructure delivering all this free money will collapse taking down the whole Society.

While energy is cheap and plentiful, it is meaningless for Society to continue.

If the necessary producers of our food supply cannot deliver the basic food we need because no one is working at production, processing, and distribution, what will happen when the crops are not planted and harvested?

All the "Tru dough" in the world will not make a difference.

We all will still end up paying for these self isolation measures in the fall, and it will not be paying off a massive Government Debt.

Just look at what Russia went through in the mid 2000's when 3 successive droughts wiped out Russia's strategic food reserves, driving world grain prices to $19 for a bushel of Canola, and $12 for wheat in 2008.

This time around it will not be drought, it will be the after shocks of the virus on the supply chain. There will not be the ready shipping of cereal and oil seed crops to meet the world demand, even if there is sufficient production.

Drewski
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I felt a bit off, but at most it was a Covid 16, maybe a low 17.

I got better.
Were you speaking moistly too?
Old 05-08-2020, 12:31 AM

A girl I have been chatting with on online dating told me she tested positive.
She currently has it.

She felt 'off' and slept a whole day before she went and got tested. Says her nose is congested. She isn't deathly ill. She is working from home.

Great Aunt's sister and husband got Covid. They live in New York.
Sister ended up dying from it. She is in her late 70s or 80s I think.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:19 AM

I know five people in red deer who tested positive for it.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:00 AM
Banned

The fellow who works with me in my department.... his aunt in NY died from it about 4 weeks ago.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
The fellow who works with me in my department.... his aunt in NY died from it about 4 weeks ago.
But was is the main factor or a contributing factor? Did she have other issues? I’m starting to think that a lot of these so called Covid deaths are misconstrued now at this point... #bringbackmygym
Old 05-08-2020, 06:59 AM

Add the AB together app on your phone, it will tell you when you get to close to a positive person, I think, I don't know anybody that has covid, don't want to either.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I know five people in red deer who tested positive for it.
Of course, there are the docs who attended a curling bonspiel and were exposed. I'm told, one case has shown up at the hospital. We had two cases in the county, both listed as recovered. God is hitting the City people. Seems the people at the lower spectrum of the economic ladder are being hit the hardest and doing the spreading as a result. They have to work.

Grizz
Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 AM

Lost my Uncle to it a couple weeks back!
Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 AM

Wink Oooh, right in the feels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
God is hitting the City people.
They can't figure out why it was still spreading in the highly populated areas, even after social distancing rules were implemented.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corona virus NYC is killing itself.jpg (69.6 KB, 304 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-08-2020, 07:42 AM

In January the wife and i were so sick with all the symptoms. I have never felt so sh-tty in all my live. I couldn’t believe the fever i was running.
I went through 3 rounds of antibiotics.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:49 AM

My dad and step mom had it, they're both almost 70. He's diabetic, high blood pressure, various other issues from living a hard life and being a retired trucker. They both recovered 100% about a month ago. He's in a great mood now, wants to buy a new truck.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:06 AM

Because of my wife's job and another family member with "troubles" I figured one of them would get it and drag it home to the rest of us but if it happened we didn't notice.
I know one person that currently has a cold. It non family. Its probably just a normal cold but who knows. It doesn't sound bad.
My daughter and I are all stuffed up with allergies like we are every year this time of year.
Yesterday I cancelled an uncovid related appointment at the children's hospital in Calgary.
I was scared that if one of us coughed up there that they would all freak out.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
In January the wife and i were so sick with all the symptoms. I have never felt so sh-tty in all my live. I couldn’t believe the fever i was running.
And what did your Dr say it was?

I ask because the wife and I had something similar that the Dr said was not the flu but a viral infection. He put both of us on a heavy regimen of antibiotics as well and sent me in for chest x-rays. I believe many may have had covid already but just weren't properly diagnosed with it early on because it was still virtually an unknown virus.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:40 AM

A cousin and his wife had it. They both work at the High River plant. Not TFW's. They have worked there most of there working life.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
A cousin and his wife had it. They both work at the High River plant. Not TFW's. They have worked there most of there working life.
Were they "asympotatic" or were they actually "sick"?
Old 05-08-2020, 09:20 AM

A fellow that I know from Regina and trap shoot with died of covid 19, however having said that he did have underlying health issues which I am sure contributed.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Lost my Uncle to it a couple weeks back!
Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Were they "asympotatic" or were they actually "sick"?
They both had very mild cases. Mostly just under the weather a bit for a time as i understand. They are back at work now,having been cleared to go back after quarantine.

Last edited by cranky; 05-08-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
But was is the main factor or a contributing factor? Did she have other issues? I’m starting to think that a lot of these so called Covid deaths are misconstrued now at this point... #bringbackmygym
No pre-existing conditions. Late 50's. Went into the hospital with difficulty breathing and then turned into full blown pneumonia. Passed within the week.
Most people will have mild symptoms, you can make all the excuses you want...but Covid is killing people.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:54 AM

My cousin early 40's, a nurse in BC had it and recovered.
Wife's co-worker mid 30's female had it and recovered. My wife was laid off a week before this happened and it was a while ago now so no contact with the person, but we were concerned for a few days around here for sure. (Edmonton)

Worst is my best friend since Jr high, (50) had a heart attack, refused to go to the hospital as he was terrified of getting the virus there. People in his workplace had it, they were shut down and he was temporally at home, got called back to work, and was super stressed out about it.

He had heart attack symptoms at home 2 weeks ago, wife and son told him to go to the hospital, (wanted to call him an ambulance) he refused, 45 minutes later he died in the back yard. Hindsight is 20/20, but we all feel he'd be alive if he could have gotten treated at the initial heart attack.
Sucks big time we can't have a funeral for this great guy, husband, father, hockey coach, friend to many.

I'm 50. Work is shut down. We'll get by. I appreciate everyone doing whatever they can to flatten the curve. I don't want this thing. I'm trying to stay in shape to give my lungs the best chance of fighting it if I do get it.
I wear a mask when out at a store if only to respect the people working in there.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
My sledding friend the same, kicked him in the arse for a solid 2 weeks. Not covid, just this nasty new strain of the flu that hits some real hard.

My aunt had a good friend pass from"covid" She was 95, in a care home and on oxygen for a year already. Covid finished her off but in reality, she was near death already. That's the only case I know of in my circle of friends and family.

Last edited by Sooner; 05-08-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM

I heard on the radio yesterday there are only about 80 people in the hospitals in Calgary with it. Most of the infected I guess are at home fighting it off so I assume the majority have milder symptoms.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
I heard on the radio yesterday there are only about 80 people in the hospitals in Calgary with it. Most of the infected I guess are at home fighting it off so I assume the majority have milder symptoms.
This is true.
One of my clients (a surgeon at the Mazankowski Heart Centre in Edmonton) has said that they have many empty beds and that we need to start doing elective surgery's again. He feels how quickly Alberta reacted and put measures in place is what has kept the numbers low in Alberta...but that it did the job and now we need to get things back to a semblance of normalcy again.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks!