Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 04:22 PM

Default Bath tub drain removal?

Plumbing question for you. My bathtub drains on both of my bathtubs need to be replaced. They are corroded enough that the normal tool for removal just broke the drain strainer tabs. I googled the how to and was guided to buy a drain extraction tool. Very similar to this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Superior-05255.../dp/B00C0M7DVA

I bought one today and it is slightly too large at 1.5". I did measure before I bought and thought it was close, should have measured twice. I can't find a 1 1/4" or slightly smaller one so asking if anyone has any other ideas for removal?

I bought the pop up type plug for replacement thinking they are a great idea, any advice on what I should replace that will stand up?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:40 PM

Chisel and hammer used on the drain flange, CAREFULLY. Should loosen up after a half turn or so. I've also resorted to a small side grinder a couple of times.

Grizz
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM

I use a Rigid tool for installing the tub drains, not sure if it will work for you if the crosshairs have broken off.
Rigid 57003 is the part number.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
I use a Rigid tool for installing the tub drains, not sure if it will work for you if the crosshairs have broken off.
Rigid 57003 is the part number.
Can also use the handles of rubber coated pliers if a person is on a red neck budget, lol.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 PM

I use a Ridgid Model 342 internal wrench. Sometimes it does not do the trick. I have taken apart many old brass tub drains by using either a Dremel tool or a type of small circular saw blade with fine teeth like a hacksaw blade that installs in an arbor that chucks into your drill.

Other times, when access permits, I'll sawzall some relief cuts in the bottom piece and then split it. Or cut off most of it so you're not cutting into the tub and then chisel out the thin remaining piece.

After I have the new waste and overflow assembled and nice and tight, I will apply some silicone around the bottom drain and at the overflow. Don't try silicone before assembling these pieces as the gaskets will slip and slide around and sometimes even pop right out. And use a quality kitchen and bath silicone as they contain a mildewcide.

One redneck 'that''ll do' way is to put some linesman's pliers into the tub strainer and then apply torque to those with a crescent wrench.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:32 PM

Also doesn't hurt to warm it up a bit around the inside of the collar with a heat gun or similar.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Hire a plumber.
Those guys are awesome.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Hire a plumber.
Those guys are awesome.
like I have a leak . suspect tub . caber I may be in touch
Old 10-21-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
like I have a leak . suspect tub . caber I may be in touch
I'll be on some unscheduled days off, my service van needs service itself. The thing seems to have lost 3rd gear, so off it goes for warranty. I suspect a new transmission will be in order. I don't think the dealers have their mechanics diving into transmission internals, generally component-changing seems to be how things go these days.

As much as I want to get to the work I've presently got waiting, it'll be like an unscheduled 'snow day' and I'll try to make the most of it
Old 10-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Last one I wrestled with gave way using a channel lock plier and big ol screw driver lever.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'll be on some unscheduled days off, my service van needs service itself. The thing seems to have lost 3rd gear, so off it goes for warranty. I suspect a new transmission will be in order. I don't think the dealers have their mechanics diving into transmission internals, generally component-changing seems to be how things go these days.

As much as I want to get to the work I've presently got waiting, it'll be like an unscheduled 'snow day' and I'll try to make the most of it
Nope. Not gonna happen.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I would recommend Brock at National on 14th . Solid shop
Old 10-22-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
I would recommend Brock at National on 14th . Solid shop
My Sprinter is on warranty so it will be going to Mercedes for them to make good on, though I do like to support small business, being one myself.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
One redneck 'that''ll do' way is to put some linesman's pliers into the tub strainer and then apply torque to those with a crescent wrench.
Done that lol
Old 10-27-2020, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the help! Left the hot water on for five minutes and used the internal rigid tool with help from a pipe wrench and they came loose.