Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 05:54 AM

There is a loophole

I know a guy that owns a large maintenance company he fly's the company jet to his house in Mesa stays for a week, on returning to Canada his wife has to quarantine 14 days he doesn't pilots are exempt he goes back to work on Monday like normal.

All you need is a company plane and a pilot license
Old 10-20-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
That same story was circulating around here too about a neighbor who has a place in Kalispell, exact same story almost word for word. Turned out to not be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I heard an apparently true story that a Canadian drove to the US from Canada. At the border, they told the agent that they had a place in the USA, it was affected by flooding and they had to go deal with the mess. They had to give their address and when they go there, Homeland Security was waiting and demanded a tour. When it was clear that the flood had not happened, they apparently got deported, with no ability to travel to the US for 5 years.
This is a true story. I know who they are and where they are from. Not worth it to try to fool customs officers. They'll also be red flagged for life, which will make travelling a royal pain.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
There is a loophole

I know a guy that owns a large maintenance company he fly's the company jet to his house in Mesa stays for a week, on returning to Canada his wife has to quarantine 14 days he doesn't pilots are exempt he goes back to work on Monday like normal.

All you need is a company plane and a pilot license
Not really a loophole . Most commercial carriers have been deemed "essential service"and have been crossing the border since this whole thing started with no restrictions .
Old 10-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Went on WestJet online .... they have 1 flight per week from YYC, can fly down to Palm Springs on Thursday and get a few rounds of golf in & celebrate the Presidential election for $526.00. Wonder how many people are planning to fly south?

D

Old 10-20-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Snowbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
This is a true story. I know who they are and where they are from. Not worth it to try to fool customs officers. They'll also be red flagged for life, which will make travelling a royal pain.
I don’t feel sorry for them in the least. What make them feel that they are more entitled than everyone else? I heard that they received a substantial monetary fine as well. True or not, I do not know.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman View Post
As far as I can tell, Westjet flights to Mexico are still a go.
I know several people booked....website lets me search flights and book??
only swoop is going right now
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
The story I referred to was NOT true. But it sure circulated around for a few weeks.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Went on WestJet online .... they have 1 flight per week from YYC, can fly down to Palm Springs on Thursday and get a few rounds of golf in & celebrate the Presidential election for $526.00. Wonder how many people are planning to fly south?

D

Insurance aside , you would need 2 weeks at home when you get back which is probably ok since the weather sucks but do you know if you have to isolate in the usa when you get there ?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:14 PM

no quarantine in usa, or at least Washington and Montana where I flew into last week.
FYI....Gas in great falls was 2.00 a gallon or 2.60 cdn
were at like 4.20

Must be going to our FREE healthcare or likely the refineries are
getting all their money back from march and april prices.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
no quarantine in usa, or at least Washington and Montana where I flew into last week.
FYI....Gas in great falls was 2.00 a gallon or 2.60 cdn
were at like 4.20

Must be going to our FREE healthcare or likely the refineries are
getting all their money back from march and april prices.
So.... you flew into washington then came home and flew to montana and came home ?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM

Interesting article from Snowbird's Travel Association. Didn't give it much thought, but if WestJet cancel all flights to Palm Springs, while I'm enjoying a cold one at the pool, it sure would be a long walk home.

D.

Should Canadian Snowbirds Travel This Winter?

Edit: ... link opened up my account, had to delete it.

Link to website ... it's free to join, open your own account.

https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/featu...s-and-services

Snowbirds currently fall into three camps when it comes to this all-important issue:

1.) Those who have already decided they are going to spend the winter somewhere warm no matter what.

2.) Those who have already decided they will stay home in Canada and skip this season.

3.) The majority of snowbirds, who are still undecided and taking a wait-and-see approach as they weigh the pros, cons and risks and closely follow the Canada/U.S. border closure, government advisories and how the COVID situation in their preferred winter destination evolves.

In addition to safety concerns, there are some other limitations and potential issues to consider:

1.) There are currently fewer flights operating than normal, so flight availability may be an issue.

2.) Airlines have significantly cut back on the number of destinations they are servicing, including some snowbird destinations.

3.) Direct flights that were available prior to COVID-19 may no longer be available, which means you may have to connect through a U.S. airport to get to your destination.

4.) Flight schedules are unreliable, with many flights being rescheduled or cancelled because they don’t have enough passengers.

The governments of those destinations that have opened their borders to tourists could impose strict travel restrictions suddenly, should they experience an increase in cases of COVID-19. International transportation options could be reduced significantly, making it difficult for you to return to Canada.

There are no plans to offer additional repatriation flights. Should you decide to travel despite our advisories, know that you might have to remain abroad longer than you expected.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-21-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:18 PM

WestJest sent this note out this morning ....

We’re excited to announce that the Canadian and Alberta governments are launching a new rapid COVID-19 testing pilot program. Effective November 2, Albertans and eligible travellers on non-stop flights returning from international destinations to Calgary International Airport may only be required to quarantine at home for as little as 2 days.

This means that getaway you’ve been craving is possible. And since Calgary is our home, we have more flights to sunny destinations than any other airline in Alberta. Discover all of the places you can escape to this winter.

Find out more about Alberta’s new COVID-19 rapid test pilot program and reduced-day home quarantine. Check out their website for more info.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
We’re excited to announce that the Canadian and Alberta governments are launching a new rapid COVID-19 testing pilot program. Effective November 2, Albertans and eligible travellers on non-stop flights returning from international destinations to Calgary International Airport may only be required to quarantine at home for as little as 2 days.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-t...lers-1.5156296

Fingers crossed they won't cancel our tickets for December
Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
WestJest sent this note out this morning ....

This means that getaway you’ve been craving is possible. And since Calgary is our home, we have more flights to sunny destinations than any other airline in Alberta. Discover all of the places you can escape to this winter.

Find out more about Alberta’s new COVID-19 rapid test pilot program and reduced-day home quarantine. Check out their website for more info.
Definitely sounds promising. That’s what had been holding us back. A quick 7 day holiday turns into 3 weeks off of work when you factor in quarantine time. Here’s an article with a little more info.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/natio..._NcmF79RZ3ZAMY
Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
My insurance provider informed me that my coverage is only good if l leave the country for work . Vacations are no longer covered . I think that is going to be the biggest hurdle , getting travel insurance . Therefore , winter activities are back on the table for us .
Here is the real catch. Some insurance companies will give you no coverage due to COVID-19. Those that will probably have a way of getting out of covering you. I have read the fine print on a couple and they have a clause that says you are covered providing you have not had......... and the list is long. Any of these numerous illnesses will void your coverage if you come down with Covid-19 and need a hospital stay in the US.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Insurance aside , you would need 2 weeks at home when you get back which is probably ok since the weather sucks but do you know if you have to isolate in the usa when you get there ?
Depends where you go. right now Nevada, Arizona and California. at least. are open.

Grizz
Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Here is the real catch. Some insurance companies will give you no coverage due to COVID-19. Those that will probably have a way of getting out of covering you. I have read the fine print on a couple and they have a clause that says you are covered providing you have not had......... and the list is long. Any of these numerous illnesses will void your coverage if you come down with Covid-19 and need a hospital stay in the US.
Most of those conditions would void your insurance regardless of Covid. Just ask any aging snowbirds why they stop going south.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

no Cayo Coco Cuba this year

Gonna wait until things get a little more under control....can go right now for a month dirt cheap....maybe Feb?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Most of those conditions would void your insurance regardless of Covid. Just ask any aging snowbirds why they stop going south.
No. The list is much more inclusive now.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Definitely sounds promising. That’s what had been holding us back. A quick 7 day holiday turns into 3 weeks off of work when you factor in quarantine time. Here’s an article with a little more info.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/natio..._NcmF79RZ3ZAMY
Good first step! Rapid testing and results will be one of the most important tools in getting the travel industry and economy up and running again.