Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 PM

Default Amazing trees.

Photographer Beth Moon captures some amazing pics of the oldest, biggest and rarest trees around the planet. Most of Alberta's trees seem like scrub brush comparatively.

https://bethmoon.com/portraits-of-time/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-22-2020, 01:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Amazing photos.

There are places in Alberta that might have trees worthy of inclusion in that album.

I've heard of trees that were found in Wood Buffalo Park that took two trips to haul out with a conventional log truck.

My brother did timber cruising up there. He told of seeing trees over 15 across at the stump.

Over along the Alberta Saskatchewan border there are sand dunes where skeletons of ancient trees can be found poking out of the sand.

Those are the places I know of, there are probably others.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 01:34 AM

Cool post!

Trees are truly remarkable organisms.

Keg, yup. There are giants out there. I know of a spruce out in Kananaskis that’s 10-12’ at the base. Aspen nearing 3’ in the same area.

I had the honour of maintaining Calgary’s second largest tree over the last 5 years of my career. I called her Charlotte and she was an old stubborn bitch that did everything possible to thwart the best of my intentions. I love her to this day still. Something about the ones who play hard to get I suppose. Lol.

The city’s largest, and designated heritage tree is almost double her size. An absolute beast.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 AM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;4252981]Cool post!

I called her Charlotte and she was an old stubborn bitch that did everything possible to thwart the best of my intentions. I love her to this day still. Something about the ones who play hard to get I suppose. Lol.

Tree

-------------------

Hahaaa ! Nice... Heck of a picture

** Beast **
Old 10-22-2020, 06:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Cool post!

Keg, yup. There are giants out there. I know of a spruce out in Kananaskis that’s 10-12’ at the base. Aspen nearing 3’ in the same area.

I had the honour of maintaining Calgary’s second largest tree over the last 5 years of my career. I called her Charlotte and she was an old stubborn bitch that did everything possible to thwart the best of my intentions. I love her to this day still. Something about the ones who play hard to get I suppose. Lol.

The city’s largest, and designated heritage tree is almost double her size. An absolute beast.

Tree

That is amazing!

I love the way you talk about "her". Your passion for your work is so evident.

When I was young one of my favorite things to do was to carve things using pieces of bark from Black Poplar trees. Populus balsamifera
Around home the biggest trees would have bark three or sometimes four inches thick.

Then one day someone found a piece of that bark along the river that was close to eight inches thick. The preacher carved a ship from that piece.

I've wondered for years how big that tree was and where it was. The biggest black poplar I ever saw was only about 30" across the butt and had bark no more then 4 1/2" thick.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 06:27 AM

There was a cottonwood that grew in what is now called 'Beaver Dam Flats' . . . . It had been hit by lightning at some time, and burned out hollow, still standing. Five of us stood inside it. This was in the early sixties.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:48 AM

Alberta's limber pine don't get big but there is one in the Crowsnest Pass that is estimated to be between 1150 and 1450 yrs old. Almost all of the Porcupine Hill's big douglas fir were logged off pre-war but there is a few 4-5+ footers left. I ran across a old cut doug stump years ago that I stepped off to be just short of 10ft across.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:48 AM

I have a great little book called “Alberta Trees of Renown” that has loads of remarkable trees in it.

A pdf of it is available here:

https://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/download-pdf/24292
Old 10-22-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That is amazing!

When I was young one of my favorite things to do was to carve things using pieces of bark from Black Poplar trees. Populus balsamifera
Around home the biggest trees would have bark three or sometimes four inches thick.

Then one day someone found a piece of that bark along the river that was close to eight inches thick. The preacher carved a ship from that piece.

I've wondered for years how big that tree was and where it was. The biggest black poplar I ever saw was only about 30" across the butt and had bark no more then 4 1/2" thick.
Commonly known as "Bams" right Keg? lol

We used to cut rotten ones. Bottom would be hollow. Placed a 2-3 foot piece standing in a fire pit. Once hot, flame came out of there like a tiger torch. Very neat.

OP- great pictures!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:51 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Commonly known as "Bams" right Keg? lol
Yup, my dad used to call them Bam-a-gillids. He had a bit of a maritime accent.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 07:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
I have a great little book called “Alberta Trees of Renown” that has loads of remarkable trees in it.

A pdf of it is available here:

https://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/download-pdf/24292
I would love to see that but my puter won't show a lot of pages.
I get "404 error, permission denied" when I try that link.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 AM

Well then, obviously, you’re on a government blacklist. :-)

Try via a browser search. Use:

Alberta trees of renown: a honour roll of Alberta trees

You should see this link at the top of most searches:

https://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications?id=24292

Quote:

Canadian Forest Service Publications
Alberta trees of renown: a honour roll of Alberta trees. 1986. Alberta Forestry Association, Edmonton, Alberta, Revised. 32 p.

Year: 1986

Available from: Northern Forestry Centre

Catalog ID: 24292

Language: English

CFS Availability: PDF (download)
It really is a great little publication worth forwarding to others!
Old 10-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Cool post!

Tree

Yes trees Are amazing. My father had 2 degrees in forestry and could tell you everything there was to know about what seemed to be every species known to man and he talked about them the same way you do. Every hunting, canoeing, or fishing trip became a guided info tour versus the original goal. He was an Ontario boy and used to tell us what we have on the prairies are not trees compared to the eastern maple oak, etc. His opinions of the BC and Alberta forestry practices were not for the faint of heart.

I've never seen the California redwoods but I've known awe walking through Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. Its like they talk to you. Calm you. Very therapeutic. Along the north east coast of the US, driving through Connecticut and Massachusettes is pretty amazing as well.

Some of the most majestic I've seen in Alberta are along the southern side of Slave Lake where highway 33 north of Swan Hills intersects with Hwy 2 near Kinuso. They just seem to be bigger in that area.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Well then, obviously, you’re on a government blacklist. :-)

Try via a browser search. Use:

Alberta trees of renown: a honour roll of Alberta trees

You should see this link at the top of most searches:

https://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications?id=24292

It really is a great little publication worth forwarding to others!
LOL I guess so!

It's my browser, this machine won't run windows 7 or 10 and firefox won't update if you don't have windows 7 or 10.
Because of that many pages including search results return a 404 error.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Try Duck Duck Go.

Based on the name how could outdoors enthusiasts not embrace it.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM

TreeGuy. Any guess how old that tree is? For some reason I always wonder how old giant trees are and what they have ‘seen’ in their years.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM

We were in Mexico last year In Bucerias, And they took down a tree in a lot. A couple pieces left, The thing was huge! Not sure why?
Old 10-22-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I've never seen the California redwoods but I've known awe walking through Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. Its like they talk to you. Calm you. Very therapeutic.
The Cathedral Grove trees have been past their prime for the last 40 years. Sadly many of them come down every year.
There is an island in the Nimpkish River that has trees that big and they are still vibrant and growing. Douglas fir.

Have gone down the 'Avenue of the Giants' (32 miles) on a motorcycle a few times. Worth doing if you're down that way.

Found a small grove of Lodgepole pine a few years ago. There's one specimen that will go into the BC Big Tree book. It should tape out to be the second largest in the province. A RPF will have to confirm my measurements. This tree is dying, as the wind has broken the crown off, and there's nothing green below the break.

Left my home on the prairies and went right to work in the bush. Logged for 43 years. Miss the prairies . . . . sometimes.

This is a good thread. very informative. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Heritage Tree Foundation

Excerpt:
“ Our book; Heritage Trees of Alberta (Publication date June 2007) provides botanical, ecological, historical and cultural information on specific trees. It will feature Heritage Tree locations on maps arranged according to the Tourist Destination Regions.”

http://www.heritagetreefoundation.com/
Old 10-22-2020, 07:26 PM

There is a company there that will make tables, furniture, etc. out of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
We were in Mexico last year In Bucerias, And they took down a tree in a lot. A couple pieces left, The thing was huge! Not sure why?
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM

I’m a bit of a Tree Nerd. I will forget details of family vacations but will remember the trees. Years ago I was on a small forest fire south of Fort McMurray above the breaks of the Athabasca River. We landed along the River and hiked up to the breaks. It was tabletop flat and fairly sandy. We walked through an amazing stand of white spruce. The trees were 3 ft diameter on the stump and 35m tall. One of the most amazing forests I have seen in Alberta.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 PM

I would think for a new resort or condo, coming in?
Quote:
Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Which is great, except in a few years the live edge fad will disappear and tables made from 500 year old trees will end up in landfills.

Anyone see much mahogany, teak, etc being used anymore?

Quote:
Tropical forests overexploited by unsustainable logging -- ScienceDaily
“Widely hailed as a renewable natural resource, tropical timber from old-growth tropical forests is selectively logged worldwide at an unprecedented scale. A new study reveals that once prime tropical hardwoods -- such as Brazilian cedars, ipe (Brazilian walnut), and rosewood -- have been logged, they do not grow back to commercial levels and are at risk from disappearing altogether.“

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0713152143.htm

Last edited by KinAlberta; 10-22-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:56 PM

Default Amazing trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That is amazing!

Thanks buddy.

It’s the Plains Cottonwood that really develop the truly thick bark.

Years ago, Reeves asked me for some as his wife is a carver. It took a couple of years, but I was finally able to get ahold of a big truckload that Ironbrew took to the ‘Pinto Whisperer’. Lol. A year later, I was incredibly honoured to receive this. Good people. Mrs Reeves is unbelievably talented. It sits proudly on my mantle to this day.

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 10-23-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 AM

Hey BB. Charlotte is a poplar that lives within 500 yards of the Elbow River. She drinks more than a thousand roughnecks combined. Lol. Age is difficult to ascertain in such situations, but she’s certainly flirting with the century mark.

Tree

Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Thanks buddy.

It’s the Plains Cottonwood that really develop the truly thick bark.

Years ago, Reeves asked me for some as his wife is a carver. It took a couple of years, but I was finally able to get ahold of a big truckload that Ironbrew took to the ‘Pinto Whisperer’. Lol. A year later, I was incredibly honoured to receive this. Good people. Mrs Reeves is unbelievably talented. It sits proudly on my mantle to this day.

Tree

Oh WOW!

I can almost smell the wood, such a distinctive fragrance!

I'm sure it adds a whole other dimension to what is already amazing art.

I kinda wish I had continued to carve. I'd never have been that good but it sure was satisfying.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 06:43 AM

Planted a bunch of plains cottonwoods at the cabin. Someday they will be amazing trees.

Love northwest poplar too but rarely see them planted anymore. They get too big I guess. Not good in the city where growth eventually squeezes every green space.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:26 AM

What is happening to the Alberta aspen ?
Whole groves of it look very sick. Noticed it west of Longview heading to the Kananaskis . . .
Old 10-23-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
What is happening to the Alberta aspen ?
Whole groves of it look very sick. Noticed it west of Longview heading to the Kananaskis . . .

Cytospora Canker being transmitted by boring beetles.

https://planttalk.colostate.edu/topi...451-cytospora/

Tree

Old 10-23-2020, 11:06 AM

I just got a small bam/black poplar on trap line north of Edson, it is only 6 foot diameter. Canfor took out a lot of old growth spruce west of Kegs country, lot of them were 3 footers, not many left now. West Fraser logging lodge pole pine off our line. Most AO members have a dick longer than width of most trees they cut.