Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Lawyer to probate a will

Does anyone know of a lawyer that probates a very simple will for a reasonable set price. Not interested in paying a percentage. If I cannot find something reasonable I will do it on my own.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-30-2020, 01:48 PM

do it on your own, the documents are somewhat easy to fill out

the probate folks in the courthouse used to reject the application a few times rather than going through and pointing out all the defects in the application at once

Now ther is a probate manual that guides you through the process

cost and availability of the manual can be had by calling 4222200 and asking for probate clerks if you are in the red deer north part of the province
Old 01-30-2020, 01:56 PM

Or skip it all together. Depending on the situation it could also be a good option.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Or skip it all together. Depending on the situation it could also be a good option.
Cannot skip it, bank will not release the funds. I have time so if I cannot find a lawyer to do it, I will do it myself.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-30-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Cannot skip it, bank will not release the funds. I have time so if I cannot find a lawyer to do it, I will do it myself.
Hey

You are way too smart to need a lawyer for that

I did it 8 years ago. And im a farkin half wit
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Had that problem, a letter from my lawyer advising Probate was not necessary, solved that.

Grizz
Old 01-30-2020, 05:17 PM

Don't know your details but my mom passed 4 yrs ago. She had less than 20 grand in the bank. Did not have to probate.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 PM

It would help if we knew where you are located.

The more of the work you do the less it costs the Estate for Legal Fees.

Sometimes Probate is easy, sometimes not. I have had Estate files that quickly turned into litigation files because of unresolved family issues.

Too many times I have heard a family member say I could take it all as long as that $&(@@ does not get a cent.

God how I love people.

Drewski
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 PM

It also depends where the will is/must be probated. If my mother had still been living in BC when she passed, probate fees would have been 10X what they are here in Alberta.

Vic
Old 03-07-2020, 04:21 PM

So I picked up the grant of probate from the court house yesterday. Spent about 12 hrs on it, it was pretty intimidating to get an inch thick doc from the queens printer but I muddled my way through.Most of it was redundant and if I had to do it again Im sure I could do it in under 4hrs the second time. I doubt a lawyer's office would spend more than a couple of hours on it, and I would have had to do all the leg work. I got three quotes, they were all the same, 4250 plus incidentals, so I saved a wack of cash.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 PM

Thats a really high price. My Father's probate was about $2200. We had used this lawfirm for decades though.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:03 AM

Well I guess someone has to pay for their law school education. $800 an hour. Thing is you cannot prove the hours they actually worked. Must be a regular set up charge. They will charge you an hour for only talking 15 min on the phone. Ya I would try and do it myself if I had to. My time is real cheap by the hour
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
Thats a really high price. My Father's probate was about $2200. We had used this lawfirm for decades though.
Our quotes were 2250 base and then 1% of the estate. I did some snooping online and that price is what is recommended for Alberta by some lawyers association.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 AM

No matter how you look at it there is lots of work for someone to do when you die.
I guess that is why some estates pay a fee to the people involved in settling the matters.
The more people you can get to help settle a death and estate the better.
For me the lawyer was worth it but the banks were the problem. The banks seem to have lots of power over the estate but as the banker said they have had problems in the past so now they want you to use a lawyer and get everything correct.
I know some people have the patients to do the estate on their own but not for me.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:33 PM

Some outfits in Alberta charge $2200 + 1% of estate value and others charge only based on hours. For a simpler estate paying by the hour will save you a lot if you're not planning to do it yourself.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Default Lawyer to Probate will

If you live in the MD of Foothills or South Calgary areas here is a suggestion for anyone who needs a estate probated or wills. He charges 1500(includes everything) except court fees which is usually $525 in Alberta here is his FB link as well as instagram.
https://www.facebook.com/BMRetiredLawyer
https://www.instagram.com/bmmo.bile/
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Lawyer to Probate will

If you live in the MD of Foothills or South Calgary areas here is a suggestion for anyone who needs a estate probated or wills. He charges 1500(includes everything) except court fees which is usually $525 in Alberta here is his FB link as well as instagram.
https://www.facebook.com/BMRetiredLawyer
https://www.instagram.com/bmmo.bile/
Edit/Delete Message
Quote:

Last edited by milneh; 10-22-2020 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added details
Old 10-22-2020, 10:28 AM

court fees which is usually $525 in Alberta

Compared to the rest of the country, that is cheap, but don't count on it for long , given our present government.

Grizz