Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Advice for burbot?

Headed out for a four day fishing trip this week and I'm excited to try to catch my first burb. Anyone have lure or presentation advice? I've heard big jig heads with minnows or other bait, slammed into the bottom to get their attention, and then let it sit on the bottom or just off the bottom?

Any advice would be appreciated, I've read some articles online but the more info the beter. Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

My nickles worth. Have one dead stick with a treble and even a stinger loaded with minnows. Keep it right on the bottom or an inch above. Make sure the bottom is sandy/muddy/gravel, NOT grassy. Check it every 10 min or so because a lot of times you can have one on but they haven't set off bell. Don't have to be in very deep water when spawn is on. 15-20' is fine.
A fair sized jig head tipped with a minnow. My favourite color is white or bright orange/yellow. bounce off bottom to stir up a cloud. then let it lie still for awhile on bottom or inch above. They are very active after dark. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:38 AM

If you have a camera, it will definitely help. Orient your camera, looking down, a few feet under the ice, so you can see bottom and your jig.

I find that the Owner football jigs work great, the hooks are deadly sharp. Tip them with smelt or minnow, and pound bottom with it. When you see a burb swimming by, smack bottom with it. The burb will likely turn toward it, using their lateral line, they detect vibration very well and use it like radar to find your jig. Keep pounding bottom until they find it.

They are pretty slow this time of year, so it's best to give them a few seconds to eat it, once they find it. If you set the hook too early, you will miss the fish.

Good luck out there, and happy burbin'
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM

I catch a ton at gull lake dead sticking a big smelt on a treble just off the bottom in 4-6 fow. I would also try a green jig with a blade on it tipped with a minnow its been working well.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the tips, can't wait to try them out! I do have a camera and will try that out. I'm kind of surprised with all the fishing I've done I haven't caught one while going after other species, but I haven't been to many lakes that are well known for them and we are usually gone by dark.

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM

You can sent up a tip up and lay big bait on the bottom, I've caught more burbs on tip ups with the bait on the bottom then suspended above, however I recommend using a circle hook, they would inhale our quick strike rigs deep Ultimately killing them, we did keep them to eat so it was ok then, but I won't use rigs anymore like that for burbs... I wouldn't be happy with myself if I landed a trophy that way only to kill it...

Good luck

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM

The jig and minnow with intermittent pounding of the sand/mud is a great tip. Agreed.

I have also caught quite a few Burbs on a small rattlin' rap with a minnow ..... same technique.

It pretty cool to watch them slowly slide into an ambush spot a few inches from your bait and suddenly, without warning spring into life and engulf your bait ..... pretty cool to watch on the camera. Sometimes they bury themselves and burrow toward your bait taking minutes to sneak up on it.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The jig and minnow with intermittent pounding of the sand/mud is a great tip. Agreed.

I have also caught quite a few Burbs on a small rattlin' rap with a minnow ..... same technique.

It pretty cool to watch them slowly slide into an ambush spot a few inches from your bait and suddenly, without warning spring into life and engulf your bait ..... pretty cool to watch on the camera. Sometimes they bury themselves and burrow toward your bait taking minutes to sneak up on it.
X2
I haven't witnessed a burb strike on camera yet but I've caught a few just covered in mud
Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM

Don't know if cray-fish are legal bait in Alberta, but the few I've seen have been crammed full of them
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Don't know if cray-fish are legal bait in Alberta, but the few I've seen have been crammed full of them
Crayfish are not legal to use for bait in AB.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Might be a stupid question, but do the underwater cameras work in the dark?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Might be a stupid question, but do the underwater cameras work in the dark?

Some have lights on them, not sure if they all do.