Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 05:40 PM

Default Dog Trainer

HI

I was wondering if anybody know of other places to train your dog on pheasants or chukars besides Wessex.

I heard there was a place by Duchess and Nanton, but I can't see find any listing on information on these places.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:46 PM

Talk to Rob at Whitewolf Birds, out in Langdon, currently has both chukars and pheasants. whitewolfbirds@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2022, 06:34 PM

Default dog training

Sadly, Harold Fukuda from Coulee Game Birds has passed away. He is likely the one around the Duchess/Patricia area that has been mentioned. He was always my go-to guy for training.
One of the Marthaller girls with Mosquito Creek Game Birds is an up and coming dog handler. Have had a few of my dogs go there with them, and everyone has been positive with the results. They are based out of Nanton.

Last edited by oldgutpile; 09-08-2022 at 06:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-09-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Sadly, Harold Fukuda from Coulee Game Birds has passed away. He is likely the one around the Duchess/Patricia area that has been mentioned. He was always my go-to guy for training.
One of the Marthaller girls with Mosquito Creek Game Birds is an up and coming dog handler. Have had a few of my dogs go there with them, and everyone has been positive with the results. They are based out of Nanton.
Damn, i have hunted adjacent to his property for 20 plus years. Terrible news.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:40 AM

Default Harold

Harold's nephews are still doing released hunts, so Coulee is still an active company, just unfortunately not with Harold around. Harold was often referred to as the "dog whisperer". He took on dogs that some of the large kennels returned to the owners as "hopeless" and made good working dogs of them all.
Dogs were the passion in his life.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:40 AM

Default Our last year

We are doing live bird training on chukars since august 15th so there are less than 200 remaining. We will start with pheasants probably october 1st. The business has been very good to us for 30 years but I have a boat and motor that often doesn't see water from year to year and a 5th wheel mostly covered in the yard. Time to travel and we cant do that with 1000 chicks in the barn from April to july. A few folks are waiting for equipment and even pens til this season is over and the rest will probably be auctioned next spring. Thanks for your patronage, many that started as clients became friends.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
We are doing live bird training on chukars since august 15th so there are less than 200 remaining. We will start with pheasants probably october 1st. The business has been very good to us for 30 years but I have a boat and motor that often doesn't see water from year to year and a 5th wheel mostly covered in the yard. Time to travel and we cant do that with 1000 chicks in the barn from April to july. A few folks are waiting for equipment and even pens til this season is over and the rest will probably be auctioned next spring. Thanks for your patronage, many that started as clients became friends.
USE THIS GUY FOR SURE

Neighbor sent his very unruly pointer and they fixed em up big time.

Can't go wrong
Old 09-09-2022, 03:20 PM

I am wondering is the training goal to get the dog you have introduced to birds? If so a cheaper alternative might be pigeons. On the other hand, if your dog has some experience with birds like pheasants and knows when to whoa, reasonable recall, and listens to you in the field. Another suggestion would be to head to some of the release sites that have opened up. Pick some days during the week, and as long as there are some birds around , you should be able to see how your dog does on birds in the field.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
I am wondering is the training goal to get the dog you have introduced to birds? If so a cheaper alternative might be pigeons. On the other hand, if your dog has some experience with birds like pheasants and knows when to whoa, reasonable recall, and listens to you in the field. Another suggestion would be to head to some of the release sites that have opened up. Pick some days during the week, and as long as there are some birds around , you should be able to see how your dog does on birds in the field.

I’d respectfully disagree about using release sites as a training grounds during hunting season. I know of an individual who was training his dogs at a release site, and not hunting. Others reported him, and he was charged. Can’t member for certain, but those sites are paid for and supported by our licence fees. The fine may have been for interfering with lawful hunting, though I could be wrong. It’s a fine line, but I’d call a CO first just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:14 PM

Default Sns2

If you are training a dog at a release site you are hunting. Definition is chasing looking for, worrying any bird or animal. Don't have to be carrying a gun to hunt
Old 09-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
If you are training a dog at a release site you are hunting. Definition is chasing looking for, worrying any bird or animal. Don't have to be carrying a gun to hunt
I know the guy. He was carrying a starter’s pistol and got charged. A complaint was made and the CO was waiting for him when he arrived at the truck. As you know, just because a charge is laid, it does not mean it is valid or deserved. Next time I run into him, I will ask him exactly what went down.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know the guy. He was carrying a starter’s pistol and got charged. A complaint was made and the CO was waiting for him when he arrived at the truck. As you know, just because a charge is laid, it does not mean it is valid or deserved. Next time I run into him, I will ask him exactly what went down.
If it was at South Plain, there were many complaints about him interfering with other people's hunts.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:22 PM

Well if he has a gamebird and pheasant license and his dog is ready to get some real bird work, I don't have a problem with it. In my opinion you have to get real time training with the dog at some point
In the field. Think of it as on the job training.😉
Old 09-09-2022, 06:34 PM

Even if you dont have a real gun running a dog training on birds on a release site means you must have a hunting license and pheasant tag. Hunters on a shooting preserve do not required a license because the shooting preserve has the ground release license to cover all shooters. Chukars don't require any license for training and shooting year round in alberta as long as you have landowner permission
Old 09-10-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If it was at South Plain, there were many complaints about him interfering with other people's hunts.
It was South Plain.