Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Default The Perfect Ending

This year was one of those rare years where lady luck smiled upon me.
I resolved to hunt hard, long and often, and to pass on meat bucks in the faint hope of harvesting a good buck. All this despite having several years of failing to connect and going home with tag soup. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend several days in the field throughout November and I passed on numerous whitetails over the course of the season. As the season drew to a close I wondered whether I would regret not shooting one of the many "decent" whitetails that had passed by my blind. On the final day of the season it was cold, windy and nothing was moving. At noon I texted my buddies that in many ways this had been the best season ever, hunting frequently, seeing lots of deer, holding out and continuing the quest. The only way to improve on the season would be to finish it off with a bang on the last day. At 330 pm it was looking pretty bleak as I hadn't seen a hair since opening light. I decided to leave my blind for the last hour and enjoy the final moments of the season trying some still hunting instead of sitting. I slowly ambled along a ridge bordering a bog when I caught a glimpse of something flashing in the bog. Antlers! Sure enough a "decent" buck was walking out of some thick willows in the bog! Unfortunately he has seen me at the same time I saw him and he was onto me. He stared at me (from 400 yards) but didn't bolt, just stood there unsure as to what I was. I stood there frozen for what seemed like an eternity (probably only 5 minutes) when he heard something close to him and turned his gaze away. I took the opportunity to drop down out of sight and contemplated my next move, Based on the wind direction and ridge alignment I guessed (hoped) that he would circle around to my left and possibly offer me a shot. There was a small gap in the bog about 275 yds from me that he would walk through if I guessed correctly. I laid my pack on the ground, assumed a prone shooting position and waited. 15 minutes later his head entered my field of view, followed by shoulders and finally a full broadside. I aimed for just behind the front shoulder, took a deep breath and squeezed off. The familiar "kawump" echoing back told me it was a good hit. I walked down the ridge and found him laying there, dead in his tracks. The perfect ending to perfect season, hunt all year, see lots of deer, pass them up for more hunting and shut it down in the last hour. Maximum hunting! He wasn't my biggest buck by a long shot but he is an interesting one. Narrowish rack, not much mass but 6 points on one side and 7 on the other. Colour me happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5727.jpg (75.3 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5728.jpg (45.2 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5729.jpg (38.3 KB, 558 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Congratulations on a full season of hunting and a sweet finish to boot! Well done!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM

Nicely done. Congratulations.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Very nice buck.....congrats and thanks for posting your hunt
Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Congratulations thanks for posting the story. 12 years ago I got a buck which played out very similar to yours it was like going back in time.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Nice one!! And Thanks!

What a great way to end the season. Loved the write up! I felt like I was living the hunt right along with you!

P.S. The OP (Antelope Whisperer) took me out hunting when I was just a kid. Being that no one in my family hunted and sensing that it was something that was of interest to me, I was invited to join him for a hunt to see if it was something I would like. Needless to say it was and over the next many years the Antelope Whisperer along with with his group of loyal hunting companions welcomed me along on almost every hunting trip they took. I learned a ton about hunting and even more about life from these gentlemen. A privilege that I promised myself to pass along given the chance.

I just spent this past summer guiding in the Yukon with my son (his first year as a wrangler) watching him learning and living out his passion for hunting and the outdoors. And this past week my second son joined me on the primitive weapons season hunt at Camp Wainwright where we hunted and successfully harvested a great whitetail buck together. These are great life experiences that would not have played out had I not been given this opportunity as a kid. Never underestimate the ripple effects and the positive impact you can have when you introduce someone to hunting and the camaraderie of the hunting community.

Thank you AW!

Last edited by GrtWht; 12-04-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Great ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtWht View Post
What a great way to end the season. Loved the write up! I felt like I was living the hunt right along with you!

P.S. The OP (Antelope Whisperer) took me out hunting when I was just a kid. Being that no one in my family hunted and sensing that it was something that was of interest to me, I was invited to join him for a hunt to see if it was something I would like. Needless to say it was and over the next many years the Antelope Whisperer along with with his group of loyal hunting companions welcomed me along on almost every hunting trip they took. I learned a ton about hunting and even more about life from these gentlemen. A privilege that I promised myself to pass along given the chance.

I just spent this past summer guiding in the Yukon with my son (his first year as a wrangler) watching him learning and living out his passion for hunting and the outdoors. And this past week my second son joined me on the primitive weapons season hunt at Camp Wainwright where we hunted and successfully harvested a great whitetail buck together. These are great life experiences that would not have played out had I not been given this opportunity as a kid. Never underestimate the ripple effects and the positive impact you can have when you introduce someone to hunting and the camaraderie of the hunting community.

Thank you AW!
Great tribute Grtwht.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Well done - to you both!