Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Guess what we had ordered in tonight

Deep fried snake in sweet and sour sauce? And your fortune cookie read "toodleoo roundeye."
Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 PM

I am hoping they have a blow out vacation sale package to China once it all cleans up.

Lots of cool history in China and one of the safest places to visit these days.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-27-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I still have memories of how high tensions got in the flu shot lines several years ago.

And you’re not alone in wondering about those excavators.
The excavator video is always a loop of the same or similar overhead shots. Spreading dirt. Not trying to over think this but has anyone seen an updated aerial view of the new hospital sites? I’ve watched the same excavation video 12 times in 4 days but no updates.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:15 PM

Every day I go out I buy more provisions.

Prepare people. Prepare.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
The excavator video is always a loop of the same or similar overhead shots. Spreading dirt. Not trying to over think this but has anyone seen an updated aerial view of the new hospital sites? I’ve watched the same excavation video 12 times in 4 days but no updates.
Me too, but what do you expect. This is China. You see what the CCP lets us see. Gotta love communism.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
The picture in this article is showing the progress.

Don't think all those excavators aren't on standby though.. or already digging a pit next to the quarantine hospice being built..

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dail...four-days.html

Last edited by JareS; 01-27-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 PM

A one day 65% jump in cases in China.

It will be interesting if we will see an exponential growth in cases now.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-28-2020, 12:43 AM

it's the flu.......... google how many die in canada each year from the regular flu.....And the people dying in china are the old and the weak. just like they do here.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
A one day 65% jump in cases in China.

It will be interesting if we will see an exponential growth in cases now.
There were nearly 7,000 more cases suspected and awaiting confirmation, according to the commission.
They have run out of testing supplies in many places

But who am I to say, just an ex-welder fear monger...
Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
it's the flu.......... google how many die in canada each year from the regular flu.....And the people dying in china are the old and the weak. just like they do here.
This is not just the flu.... jebus! Why does there have to be so many of you ostriches with their head in the sand! Look at the pace this is growing at. With it, comes mutation, increased mortality and virulal efficiency. Also it is not just the old and weak. It covers all age groups now, from infants, to middle aged, and the elderly. The deaths show up mostly as elderly people because of predisposed weakness. But those affected, some of whom are practically on their death bed, but not dead, therefore not reported, run the entire spectrum

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-28-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm honestly not that worried personally. More worried globally as where this could go, and consequences socially and economically. I know they have the genome sequenced, which is great! But it is also highly mutagenic. Trying not to lose people in details, but this is an RNA virus. Using human DNA to replicate. 97% of DNA is technically considered junk. When mutations happen, generally nothing happens, because you have a 97% chance of it occurring in the non-coding region. The high replication and transmission rate makes the chances of a mutation supercharging this virus (already announced by China's minister of health) very real.
I’m not worried yet either, but keeping an eye on it. For sure it could mutate and become stronger. I’m cautious using the current numbers though as were not sure of the source, or how it’s transmitted.

Edit: Just to add to this thought. While I think our health risk is still relatively low. The economic impact could be substantial. China shutting down for any prolonged period will undoubtedly throw us into a recession. Right now people should be positioning themselves for this possibility, reducing their debt load and stock piling money.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 01-28-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
This is not just the flu.... jebus! Why does there have to be so many of you ostriches with their head in the sand! Look at the pace this is growing at. With it, comes mutation, increased mortality and virulal efficiency. Also it is not just the old and weak. It covers all age groups now, from infants, to middle aged, and the elderly. The deaths show up mostly as elderly people because of predisposed weakness. But those affected, some of whom are practically on their death bed, but not dead, therefore not reported, run the entire spectrum
Question for bloopbloob……………..I suspect there is no coincidence that outbreaks like this happen in areas with this density of people..? Something's bound to latch on...….or am I off base?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 AM

It’s made in China. Shouldn’t last long...
Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Question for bloopbloob……………..I suspect there is no coincidence that outbreaks like this happen in areas with this density of people..? Something's bound to latch on...….or am I off base?
High population density for sure plays a huge role. The transmission rate over here would be much lower, except for large population dense cities like NY, Toronto or Vancouver in Canada, but even then, it would still be lower than in China. If this hits India, which it probably has, hold on to your tinfoil hat.... A case here, a case there, in developed countries, is certainly manageable, but you have to act quickly. China is beyond repair.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-28-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
It sounds like it more because of what they eat. They eat bats which was believed to be the source of SARS. This new virus is close to SARS genetically is my understanding, and most likely came from an animal they ate. Now due to the close proximity of everyone in China, it will be hard to contain.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-28-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It sounds like it more because of what they eat. They eat bats which was believed to be the source of SARS. This new virus is close to SARS genetically is my understanding, and most likely came from an animal they ate. Now due to the close proximity of everyone in China, it will be hard to contain.
5000 people (so far) did not eat bats and get sick. One person did, the virus had a mutation making it able to jump over to be able to infect humans. That virus went trans species, and been going from there. Now humans are infecting humans. We do not have a natural immunity to this, as it has just created itself in this form. 2019-nCoV - stands for novel CoronaVirus ("novel" means 'new') and there is no vaccine.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-28-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It’s made in China. Shouldn’t last long...
Bahahaha!

Oh boy, chicken little would find his fan club on this thread, lol.

Of all the stuff that’s going on in the world right now, this snake flu is a ways down the list of things to worry about. I only set aside about 15-30 minutes a day for worrying and right now my list of things to worry about is filled up, I’ll have to leave this one for other members to worry about.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 AM

Interesting thread. I think you can learn a lot about personality types on a thread like this. Just sayin.

H1N1

Sars

Ebola

I'm still coughin and fartin.

Life insurance is topped up.

Wife will be better off if I'm the first to go in Canada.

At this point, I'm more nervous about the Oilers game against the Flames tomorrow night
Old 01-28-2020, 07:09 AM

With many people staying home to minimize exposure, I would expect some great deals on vacations to many destinations.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Interesting thread. I think you can learn a lot about personality types on a thread like this. Just sayin.

H1N1

Sars

Ebola

Life insurance is topped up.

At this point, I'm more nervous about the Oilers game against the Flames tomorrow night
Agreed. Some special people out there.... Hoping I'm not one of them...
Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 AM

"At this point, I'm more nervous about the Oilers game against the Flames tomorrow night"

SNS,

The transfer and infection rate of "Oilers Fever" is very localized, and the symptoms rarely evolve into a Stanley Cup.

Unless the Team has suffered a "Novel Mutation" the symptoms rarely last longer than April of any year.

The infection does cause lasting injury to one's wallet, one's ego, and general frustration for missing out on Netflicks for the time spent watching the desperate efforts of a terminally ill coaching technique.

Oilers Fever is a seasonal disorder, which has been known to re surface every year in November. It seems that the carriers of Oilers Fever are extremely immune to reality, which is why it is so hard to treat, or even understand.

Drewski
Old 01-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

H1N1

Sars

Ebola

Can I have first dibs on your 30-06, Fudd hat, and suspenders ? I'm nearing an age where I'm not as fashion conscious or caring about what others say about me.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
"At this point, I'm more nervous about the Oilers game against the Flames tomorrow night"

SNS,

The transfer and infection rate of "Oilers Fever" is very localized, and the symptoms rarely evolve into a Stanley Cup.

Unless the Team has suffered a "Novel Mutation" the symptoms rarely last longer than April of any year.

The infection does cause lasting injury to one's wallet, one's ego, and general frustration for missing out on Netflicks for the time spent watching the desperate efforts of a terminally ill coaching technique.

Oilers Fever is a seasonal disorder, which has been known to re surface every year in November. It seems that the carriers of Oilers Fever are extremely immune to reality, which is why it is so hard to treat, or even understand.

Drewski

But, can the disease be transmitted by close contact with turtles? Asking for my friend Zack.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 AM

Tell Zack that "Oilers Fever" seems to be a Psychiatric condition.

It is being considered for the re write of the DSM6 under "Delusional Disorders".

Treatment protocols include watching more fishing and hunting videos on YouTube.

Drewski
Old 01-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Around 3500 per year

This could hit 3500 a week

Multiply that x 52

It could hit 3500 a day

Multiply that x 365

Why aren't people getting this?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-28-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Around 3500 per year

Multiply that x 52

It could hit 3500 a day

Multiply that x 365

What should we be doing?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
5000 people (so far) did not eat bats and get sick. One person did, the virus had a mutation making it able to jump over to be able to infect humans. That virus went trans species, and been going from there. Now humans are infecting humans. We do not have a natural immunity to this, as it has just created itself in this form. 2019-nCoV - stands for novel CoronaVirus ("novel" means 'new') and there is no vaccine.
It’s hard to say for sure how it started at this point which is why I’m optimistic. If this was all from one source and spread to family, then hospital staff, then patients through direct contact we’ll be able to get a handle on it. If it was spread through airborne transmission we should be seeing more cases pop up outside of China with the amount of people who’ve been exposed to it now.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Around 3500 per year

Multiply that x 52

It could hit 3500 a day

Multiply that x 365

Because right now it’s all speculation based on a small sample size, and unreliable numbers. It also doesn’t account for any improvement in screening, or medical interventions. Also need the demographics to understand who is dying, and how they’re being infected. You know the old line there’s lies, damn lies, and statistics. Yes, the numbers look bad, but without context they mean nothing.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
But, can the disease be transmitted by close contact with turtles? Asking for my friend Zack.
My friend Mathew should be more worried about it jumping from close contact with Neanderthals. Lol
Old 01-28-2020, 08:37 AM

Just a few news clips from today so far. Travel to and from China is starting to grind to a halt now.

Germany confirms first human transmission of coronavirus in Europe
A German man who tested positive for the strain of coronavirus sweeping across China was infected by a work colleague, officials said on Tuesday, in what is believed to be the first human transmission in Europe, AFP reports.
The man had not visited China but a Chinese work colleague who was in Germany last week had started to feel sick on the flight home on 23 January, said Andreas Zapf, the head of the Bavarian state office for health and food safety.

Reuters reports:
The WHO said a case in Vietnam involved human-to-human transmission outside China and a Japanese official has said there was a suspected case of human-to-human transmission there, too.

The recent reports would now bring to a total of three confirmed cases – in Vietnam, Japan and Germany – who have not visited China but only been in contact with cases from China. The fact that person to person transmission is occurring outside of China is not too surprising. The Vietnamese case was reported by WHO and he was in contact with his sick father who had returned from China. The Japanese case was a tour bus driver who had driven around two groups of Chinese tourists and the German cases had attended a work-based training event also attended by a woman who only became ill two days later during her return to China two days later. The German case is most worrying because if the Chinese woman was indeed asymptomatic at the time of the training session it would confirm reports of spread before symptoms develop making standard control strategies less effective.

State television quoted Xi as saying:
The virus is a devil and we cannot let the devil hide. China will strengthen international cooperation and welcomes the WHO participation in virus prevention … China is confident of winning the battle against the virus.

The last clip should give great comfort to everyone lol. Go Xi.