Do you have the Bluetooth model?
Old 08-11-2020, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Do you have the Bluetooth model?
No I have the previous generation
Optically they are superior to my Leica HD-B’s
To my eyes at least. It could be that they are the 56mm objectives compared to 42’s
If I sell my two other pairs I’ll upgrade to the new ones
I decided to upgrade my spotter this year and went with the btx system
All I can say is wow

It’s a shame that these companies can’t come up with anything new
I’m joking
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM

I have the Leica HDB 3000 10X42 RF binos and I am very happy

and satisfied
Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
I have the Leica HDB 3000 10X42 RF binos and I am very happy

and satisfied
Are the the Bluetooth ones?
Bluetooth connect ability is going to be the future
Old 08-12-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
No I have the previous generation
Optically they are superior to my Leica HD-B’s
To my eyes at least. It could be that they are the 56mm objectives compared to 42’s
If I sell my two other pairs I’ll upgrade to the new ones
I decided to upgrade my spotter this year and went with the btx system
All I can say is wow

It’s a shame that these companies can’t come up with anything new
I’m joking
I have the bluetooth 10x42 and the older generation the 10x45. I like the bluetooth function. Seemed silly at first but it won me over. I'm thinking of up grading my Diascope 15-56x65 to the Harpia. The only down side for me is the huge objective on it.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:31 AM
Banned

keep the best bino's for you coming discussion going AO

i'll bite on this bluetooth revolution for a little side discussion, how does this win you over, what are the benefits, hunting or target practice? i'm struggling with the concept as the simplest/less steps etc. always the king of set ups for hunting, and it doesn't matter how complicated you want to make target/range work, i'm seeing critters walking over the hill by the time you've consulted all this gear, and let the app tell you what to do next etc. assuming the phone is still turned on with all the cold and laying in the snow etc. ready to make your shot?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
keep the best bino's for you coming discussion going AO

i'll bite on this bluetooth revolution for a little side discussion, how does this win you over, what are the benefits, hunting or target practice? i'm struggling with the concept as the simplest/less steps etc. always the king of set ups for hunting, and it doesn't matter how complicated you want to make target/range work, i'm seeing critters walking over the hill by the time you've consulted all this gear, and let the app tell you what to do next etc. assuming the phone is still turned on with all the cold and laying in the snow etc. ready to make your shot?
Pretty simple
You don’t have to fiddle around inputting data when they are all Bluetooth connected
Kestrels are Bluetooth
Rf binos are blue tooth
Scopes are going to be Bluetooth

Playing around from binos to rangefinders eats precious seconds
Big bucks and bulls don’t get big by being stupid
You might only have a couple seconds before they are gone
Old 08-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have the bluetooth 10x42 and the older generation the 10x45. I like the bluetooth function. Seemed silly at first but it won me over. I'm thinking of up grading my Diascope 15-56x65 to the Harpia. The only down side for me is the huge objective on it.
That’s why I went swaro
Total customizability With their modular system
I have 2 lenses, the btx Eyepiece and the magnifier
Can add the atx later if I want
I have the same spotter as you do, and I can tell you that there is a noticeable improvement. The ZEISS is nice, but this is next level. You do pay for it though. I don’t know what the next step after this could be, but these companies keep improving things continually. Im sure the Harpia is on par with the swaro optically. The different coatings between manufacturers definitely affects how you see things. I find the leicas very flat, where the ZEISS and swaros tend to make animals in particular, pop and stand out. Much easier to pick out an ear or a horn of animals that are partially hidden. But that’s just me.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty simple
You don’t have to fiddle around inputting data when they are all Bluetooth connected
Kestrels are Bluetooth
Rf binos are blue tooth
Scopes are going to be Bluetooth

Playing around from binos to rangefinders eats precious seconds
Big bucks and bulls don’t get big by being stupid
You might only have a couple seconds before they are gone
how and where is the adjustment made? i need a little more info in the steps from ranging to the shot itself
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
how and where is the adjustment made? i need a little more info in the steps from ranging to the shot itself
Look at the revic from gunwerks
Old 08-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Banned

ok

revic is a 3 lb scope with kestrel built in, batteries required although can still function basic if they die, lots of buttons, any rangefinder will give your initial input, you manually range, dial to that range and the revic with all the pre-programming ahead adjusts you to that range with all the atmospheric built in, it's got a level, it gives wind hold points, quite a display in that scope good lord, does not scream hunting at all

question is where does this start to make sense for hunting? ie; past what yardage and conditions?, because for under 800 yards where most would stay for hunting anyway...not seeing the point? target stuff sure, they talked about prs competition and knowing gunwerks they aren't even getting excited until past 800 yards etc. so guessing this is something they market for shooting 800 yards and beyond, extreme long distance hunting/shooting

the zeiss rangefinding bino in 42mm is a 2 lb gadget with a battery, does the kestrel calculations also so a little redundant to run with a revic but even by itself for different rifle/scope set ups it corrects and tells you what to dial/hold for, initial set up via bluetooth and smartphone for all the profiles, cartridges/guns you may want pre-programmed, so as i understand this you need to make sure you've got the appropriate profile selected before you leave the truck, again, i'm seeing this tech only useful for shooting well past 800 yards and maybe not at all applicable to hunting, but also good if you like to own and shoot many different rifles long? actually trying to think of justifications for this, this will get left on the wrong profile and cost a critter i'm sure, like a scope without a zero stop on dial up often gets left on the wrong rotation losing a quality opportunity, now have both together lol, twice the amount to go wrong or mess up

would not consider any of this for hunting inside 800, one battery in a simple rangefinder is as complicated as you should strive for in hunting, and that can be found in tiny handheld piece of quality gear at 6.5 oz, a scope as light as 3/4 lb (maybe a bit lighter) with zero lock turret and dial up to 800 yards, turret matched with actual collected data and corrected for middle range of elevation/temps you will hunt, will keep you in kill zone (within a click, two max) out to 800, no need for complexity of bluetooth, more batteries, wifi, lbs and lbs of gear, what to set things for before you leave the truck, worry about batteries while days into hunts during colder weather, busy displays and reticles etc. tape a little wind data to side of scope and that's unbreakable, bombproof and weighs nothing, range dial, hold for wind if needed, shoot, no weight penalties, no extra crap to go wrong or die, hunting formula, fast, simple, light

any argument that you need to hurry for any shots past 500 yards is not an argument lol, so it doesn't take much to slide a little cheat data strip anywhere for when you wan't to play longer than what you can dial to in one rotation, most set-ups will easily dial to 600 in one rotation, fast high bc stuff will go 800 easy, so if you want to play past 800 just bring the data, it weighs nothing compared to all this gear being mentioned

if your range finder can give true horizontal you're all set, that's all it would be need to do outside of giving the straight line distance, if it can mod for the elevation/pressure that's ok too for the really long shots over 7-800 might get you 1 or 2 clicks more accurate even though you'd be in kill zone anyway

it's interesting sure, great for target stuff, way too much for hunting, that's a lot to do or remember even stepping out of the truck

0-800 hunting, you cannot beat a quality bino, simple quality handheld rangefinder, simple no battery dial scope with zero stop and speed dial turret matched to actual drop data collected and corrected to middle range of elevation/temps you hunt and a bit of wind hold data on side of stock or eyepiece, nothing is faster, nothing is lighter, nothing is simpler...that's hunting set up

after 800 yards, fill your boots with this stuff as far as your bank accounts will let you and your legs, horses, trucks, can carry you

heck the most useless piece of gear i carry when hunting is a smart phone, out of service most of the time so don't forget to put on airplane mode or turn off otherwise dead battery, and can't handle the cold either, barely get a few pictures out of it as soon as it comes out of the pocket and away from the skin, can't be in outside pocket of coat either...inside coat or pants up against skin for heat, definitely not in your pack, it's one of the least reliable pieces of gear i've ever carried while hunting, don't even rely on it for field photo's because of that, still have to carry the digi-cam, still need to keep it close to body but at least it will stay on and do photo's for long enough once animal is down in colder weather

i'm sorry i looked into this, i had a feeling what i'd find, nothing useful for hunting haha, but now at least i know
Old 08-12-2020, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok

revic is a 3 lb scope with kestrel built in, batteries required although can still function basic if they die, lots of buttons, any rangefinder will give your initial input, you manually range, dial to that range and the revic with all the pre-programming ahead adjusts you to that range with all the atmospheric built in, it's got a level, it gives wind hold points, quite a display in that scope good lord, does not scream hunting at all

question is where does this start to make sense for hunting? ie; past what yardage and conditions?, because for under 800 yards where most would stay for hunting anyway...not seeing the point? target stuff sure, they talked about prs competition and knowing gunwerks they aren't even getting excited until past 800 yards etc. so guessing this is something they market for shooting 800 yards and beyond, extreme long distance hunting/shooting

the zeiss rangefinding bino in 42mm is a 2 lb gadget with a battery, does the kestrel calculations also so a little redundant to run with a revic but even by itself for different rifle/scope set ups it corrects and tells you what to dial/hold for, initial set up via bluetooth and smartphone for all the profiles, cartridges/guns you may want pre-programmed, so as i understand this you need to make sure you've got the appropriate profile selected before you leave the truck, again, i'm seeing this tech only useful for shooting well past 800 yards and maybe not at all applicable to hunting, but also good if you like to own and shoot many different rifles long? actually trying to think of justifications for this, this will get left on the wrong profile and cost a critter i'm sure, like a scope without a zero stop on dial up often gets left on the wrong rotation losing a quality opportunity, now have both together lol, twice the amount to go wrong or mess up

would not consider any of this for hunting inside 800, one battery in a simple rangefinder is as complicated as you should strive for in hunting, and that can be found in tiny handheld piece of quality gear at 6.5 oz, a scope as light as 3/4 lb (maybe a bit lighter) with zero lock turret and dial up to 800 yards, turret matched with actual collected data and corrected for middle range of elevation/temps you will hunt, will keep you in kill zone (within a click, two max) out to 800, no need for complexity of bluetooth, more batteries, wifi, lbs and lbs of gear, what to set things for before you leave the truck, worry about batteries while days into hunts during colder weather, busy displays and reticles etc. tape a little wind data to side of scope and that's unbreakable, bombproof and weighs nothing, range dial, hold for wind if needed, shoot, no weight penalties, no extra crap to go wrong or die, hunting formula, fast, simple, light

any argument that you need to hurry for any shots past 500 yards is not an argument lol, so it doesn't take much to slide a little cheat data strip anywhere for when you wan't to play longer than what you can dial to in one rotation, most set-ups will easily dial to 600 in one rotation, fast high bc stuff will go 800 easy, so if you want to play past 800 just bring the data, it weighs nothing compared to all this gear being mentioned

if your range finder can give true horizontal you're all set, that's all it would be need to do outside of giving the straight line distance, if it can mod for the elevation/pressure that's ok too for the really long shots over 7-800 might get you 1 or 2 clicks more accurate even though you'd be in kill zone anyway

it's interesting sure, great for target stuff, way too much for hunting, that's a lot to do or remember even stepping out of the truck

0-800 hunting, you cannot beat a quality bino, simple quality handheld rangefinder, simple no battery dial scope with zero stop and speed dial turret matched to actual drop data collected and corrected to middle range of elevation/temps you hunt and a bit of wind hold data on side of stock or eyepiece, nothing is faster, nothing is lighter, nothing is simpler...that's hunting set up

after 800 yards, fill your boots with this stuff as far as your bank accounts will let you and your legs, horses, trucks, can carry you

heck the most useless piece of gear i carry when hunting is a smart phone, out of service most of the time so don't forget to put on airplane mode or turn off otherwise dead battery, and can't handle the cold either, barely get a few pictures out of it as soon as it comes out of the pocket and away from the skin, can't be in outside pocket of coat either...inside coat or pants up against skin for heat, definitely not in your pack, it's one of the least reliable pieces of gear i've ever carried while hunting, don't even rely on it for field photo's because of that, still have to carry the digi-cam, still need to keep it close to body but at least it will stay on and do photo's for long enough once animal is down in colder weather

i'm sorry i looked into this, i had a feeling what i'd find, nothing useful for hunting haha, but now at least i know
Gotta give you credit.... you’re persistent 🤣
Old 08-12-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Gotta give you credit.... you’re persistent 🤣
Lol! 😉
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Banned

it amazes me that we can get things so dialed down, find simple solutions first, often the first solutions the best...then in true human fashion, we invent a bunch of problems which require even more solutions to rectify and a snowball effect of epic proportions, then we call it the next best tech and so advanced and charge up the whazzoo for it, then fanboy follow it etc. etc. endless entertainment, good lord do i shake my head, but i'm certainly not surprised

can you imagine a 3 lb scope on a 6 lb sheep rifle, to kill everything well inside 600 yards, now that is freakin hilarious, "hi sir, would you like a little rifle to go with your telescope?"

i'm sorry but that scope and all the other tech that goes with it would need to do a lot more than solve a bunch of problems that it created in the first place...i'm thinking massage with happy ending type stuff, at the very least massage my feet after the hike in while cooking my dinner

not a chance in heck i'm packing 5 lbs of extra battery powered crap for seconds of work, my sleep stuff and accommodations are 5 lbs all up fer cryin outloud, all my optics/tripod about 5 lbs (binos/rangefinder/tripod/spotter), rifle all up 7.5 lbs and dial up over 600 yards set up...i am mystified to say the least, entertained forsure

shoulda bought a minivan instead

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-12-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

You really like to hear yourself talk
Who said anything about hunting sheep?
You know there is a lot of other animals that you can hunt besides sheep right?
Do you know how much a 338 cal 250gr Berger travelling around 3000 fps drops once you hit 500 yards?
6” every 25 yards
To me, saying your Ok with being a click or two off, or it should be in the vitals, at any distance is unacceptable.
I’m sure you will blab some more and after I come back from the range (yukon is only 20 days away) I’ll try and explain that your being narrow minded again. And then you’ll yammer about something to justify why your the best and know everything

Curious, how many rams do you have on the wall? Hopefully your a better sheep
Hunter than moose and deer
Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 PM
Banned

One ram and two ewes for my tags so far. Been in on another ram, and helped at least 3 other ewes also. For my own tags also 3 moose, few elk, herds of deer (12 of them P&Y), and shat tons of coyotes, a few bears(one 20 11/16”), a cougar(tons of bar cougs too). And who know how many critters helped on, introduced quite a few to the sport. Tons of meat fallen under my knife.

We both have a similar affliction it seems, but one of us a little more hot air than the other.

I’m feelin sorry for everything and everyone that has to get you, and all your gear, up to the Yukon, and in front of game. I’m sure you’ll tip well.

What you’ll feel the need for a 338 to do others will do with a a fraction of a cartridge, or a bow. But keep talkin and spendin, I’m sure shat will die either way.

And ya...not all super hero’s wear capes.😉

Ps. 1 click at 800 is 2”, 1.25” at 500. If you know this stuff you realize that unless you’re going past 600 then if you’re set with a turret already in the middle of your elevation/temp ranges then there’s nothing to worry about. Proved this out at 930 yards, I backed off two clicks for what I thought was extra 2k feet in elevation and landed 5” low. Shoulda just gone with data I had and might have been perfect. I can assure you, set for 5000’ and 5c temp and your covered without any issues, to way further than you think, and way wider ranges of temps and elevations than you think. Even two click over compensated it was dead whatever at 930. Did that with a 7.25 lb all up 270 wsm running federal premium 140 ab’s. Same rig that got me my 620 yrd coyote. Only battery in my Leica crf1200 rangefinder.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-12-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:06 AM

I don't know if anyone here plays guitars, but I like plugging a Les Paul straight into a tube amp. Other people like a modeler with 1 million switches. Bluetooth on a hunt? I can't think of anything less enjoyable.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I don't know if anyone here plays guitars, but I like plugging a Les Paul straight into a tube amp. Other people like a modeler with 1 million switches. Bluetooth on a hunt? I can't think of anything less enjoyable.
The Bluetooth allows Rangefinder to connect to the Zeiss hunting app in your phone. You have up to 9 cartridges loaded on your Zeiss hunting app, drop wind hold ect range out to a thousand yards. When you range using the Bluetooth it automatically gives you the number of holdovers dial up for your scope, the angle compensates for the angle for the particular cartridge that you have first step in the queue. Really simple.

To understand Evolution just take one look at where battery-powered hand tools started and where they are today. Things started out as heavy clunky and half-assed useless but the eventually evolved into something spectacular.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
One ram and two ewes for my tags so far. Been in on another ram, and helped at least 3 other ewes also. For my own tags also 3 moose, few elk, herds of deer (12 of them P&Y), and shat tons of coyotes, a few bears(one 20 11/16”), a cougar(tons of bar cougs too). And who know how many critters helped on, introduced quite a few to the sport. Tons of meat fallen under my knife.

We both have a similar affliction it seems, but one of us a little more hot air than the other.

I’m feelin sorry for everything and everyone that has to get you, and all your gear, up to the Yukon, and in front of game. I’m sure you’ll tip well.

What you’ll feel the need for a 338 to do others will do with a a fraction of a cartridge, or a bow. But keep talkin and spendin, I’m sure shat will die either way.

And ya...not all super hero’s wear capes.😉

Ps. 1 click at 800 is 2”, 1.25” at 500. If you know this stuff you realize that unless you’re going past 600 then if you’re set with a turret already in the middle of your elevation/temp ranges then there’s nothing to worry about. Proved this out at 930 yards, I backed off two clicks for what I thought was extra 2k feet in elevation and landed 5” low. Shoulda just gone with data I had and might have been perfect. I can assure you, set for 5000’ and 5c temp and your covered without any issues, to way further than you think, and way wider ranges of temps and elevations than you think. Even two click over compensated it was dead whatever at 930. Did that with a 7.25 lb all up 270 wsm running federal premium 140 ab’s. Same rig that got me my 620 yrd coyote. Only battery in my Leica crf1200 rangefinder.
If that’s all you got I’m not even going to respond
It’s not worth my time

Bottom line is these companies are continually improving their products
They aren’t just putting them in a new box and selling you the same thing
Features like having a Bluetooth rangefinder built in is very advantageous
It’s not just the range finder either. Now it’s a complete weather station and ballistic computer. These days you can pic how much tech you want and the $$ reflects it.
I’ve done ok out in the field there is definitely a lot of guys that have been more successful than me
But I know what I’ve seen, and what I’ve missed so if I can reduce the chances of it happening again. Then that’s the route I go
Old 08-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
If that’s all you got I’m not even going to respond
It’s not worth my time

Bottom line is these companies are continually improving their products
They aren’t just putting them in a new box and selling you the same thing
Features like having a Bluetooth rangefinder built in is very advantageous
It’s not just the range finder either. Now it’s a complete weather station and ballistic computer. These days you can pic how much tech you want and the $$ reflects it.
I’ve done ok out in the field there is definitely a lot of guys that have been more successful than me
But I know what I’ve seen, and what I’ve missed so if I can reduce the chances of it happening again. Then that’s the route I go
Yeah, I don’t get it...I’ve got my 1874 Sharps with ladder sight... who needs all this fancy crap like scopes and smokeless powder... and I get to my hunting area in my horse and buggy...don’t need no troublesome internal combustion engine 🤣
Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Banned

The point is, which is often another big human trait...lose sight of the big picture. In this case the amount of things that can go wrong, hunting perspective, from batteries dying (cold induced or otherwise), to forgetting to set the right profile into the rangefinder before you head out, and the list goes on, anyone actually trying to get it done past 800? Let alone 600? Seriously?

Again, even past 800 you’ve got time to look at your data sheet past your one rotation speed dial. Unbreakable, no weight, absolutely kiss. No need for all that weight, all those failure points and complexities. There’s no place for an extra five lbs of tech gear when you can do it the ‘kiss’ way. This is just marketing for dollars and people are definitely buying it. Evolution my azz.

Seriously, who’s letting fly past 600 on big game? It’s good to practice well past intent, and to gear potential, but this sounds like dragging a bunch of target stuff into a hunting situation and that’s asking for issues at the absolute worst time possible.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
The Bluetooth allows Rangefinder to connect to the Zeiss hunting app in your phone. You have up to 9 cartridges loaded on your Zeiss hunting app, drop wind hold ect range out to a thousand yards. When you range using the Bluetooth it automatically gives you the number of holdovers dial up for your scope, the angle compensates for the angle for the particular cartridge that you have first step in the queue. Really simple.

To understand Evolution just take one look at where battery-powered hand tools started and where they are today. Things started out as heavy clunky and half-assed useless but the eventually evolved into something spectacular.

I get what it does. That just sounds awful to me. The last thing I want when I'm hunting is to he playing with an app.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I get what it does. That just sounds awful to me. The last thing I want when I'm hunting is to he playing with an app.
You set it up before you go into the field
🤷*♂️
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
The point is, which is often another big human trait...lose sight of the big picture. In this case the amount of things that can go wrong, hunting perspective, from batteries dying (cold induced or otherwise), to forgetting to set the right profile into the rangefinder before you head out, and the list goes on, anyone actually trying to get it done past 800? Let alone 600? Seriously?

Again, even past 800 you’ve got time to look at your data sheet past your one rotation speed dial. Unbreakable, no weight, absolutely kiss. No need for all that weight, all those failure points and complexities. There’s no place for an extra five lbs of tech gear when you can do it the ‘kiss’ way. This is just marketing for dollars and people are definitely buying it. Evolution my azz.

Seriously, who’s letting fly past 600 on big game? It’s good to practice well past intent, and to gear potential, but this sounds like dragging a bunch of target stuff into a hunting situation and that’s asking for issues at the absolute worst time possible.
I do
Personal best is 691 on an antelope
26 nosler
Nightforce atacr
130 gr berger
2 days before I shot another one in a different state that was just right around 550
Prime example when this stuff works and is needed
Lots of times those big antelope don’t stop for too long and if they move 25 yards at those distance and you don’t recalculate, it’s the difference between a ethical shot and just flinging lead. Having all the calculations done when you push a button can be essential

Ps I’ve never had a battery die on me in the field
-35 Greenland no problem
Old 08-14-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You don't. You don't even have your phone with you. You use the app to preload all the ballistic information for your cartridge into the rangefinders. That's it you press the button and range the first number that comes up is the distance then comes the number of dialect clicks that you need and comes the angle. It is easy and basic as you want or as complex as you want
Old 08-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Banned

that's a lot of gear and tech to go to 700 with such a flat high bc set up you've already built in so much insurance and forgiveness (.562 g1 bc, assuming 3400 fps, 250 yard zero)

at 700 yards you have a 4900' elevation range of where you will only ever be out +- 2" from poa, ie; if your turret set at 5000' elevation, then at 2700' you'd be hitting 2" low, and at 7600' you'd be hitting 2" high of poa

and if a critter walks 25 yards either way it doesn't take much to move a touch up or down the fur, or if not solo then your guide/partner calling out any new ranges to adjust the turret

even at 950 yards you'd still have a 1700' elevation range window of +-2" of poa shift

i suppose if you're a global hunter travelling with a couple guns and have no issues sending it past 800 on game then yup, bring on your tech, i can see the value for that, more so as you get further out

under 800 then a couple half oz turrets per gun and simple quality rangefinder will do just as well and be a lot easier to drag around the world and fit the kiss/hunt principles of being simple and least amount of things that could go wrong and easiest to use when under pressure to close the deal

for just us local hunters staying inside 600 can do it all with just one turret and a rangefinder, doesn't get simpler or lighter

heck for most with that 26 nosler set up, wouldn't even need a rangefinder, just point and shoot and everything inside 350 dies, maybe hold on top of back for 400 lol

so that was fun, back to our regularly scheduled program
Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
that's a lot of gear and tech to go to 700 with such a flat high bc set up you've already built in so much insurance and forgiveness (.562 g1 bc, assuming 3400 fps, 250 yard zero)

at 700 yards you have a 4900' elevation range of where you will only ever be out +- 2" from poa, ie; if your turret set at 5000' elevation, then at 2700' you'd be hitting 2" low, and at 7600' you'd be hitting 2" high of poa

and if a critter walks 25 yards either way it doesn't take much to move a touch up or down the fur, or if not solo then your guide/partner calling out any new ranges to adjust the turret

even at 950 yards you'd still have a 1700' elevation range window of +-2" of poa shift

i suppose if you're a global hunter travelling with a couple guns and have no issues sending it past 800 on game then yup, bring on your tech, i can see the value for that, more so as you get further out

under 800 then a couple half oz turrets per gun and simple quality rangefinder will do just as well and be a lot easier to drag around the world and fit the kiss/hunt principles of being simple and least amount of things that could go wrong and easiest to use when under pressure to close the deal

for just us local hunters staying inside 600 can do it all with just one turret and a rangefinder, doesn't get simpler or lighter

heck for most with that 26 nosler set up, wouldn't even need a rangefinder, just point and shoot and everything inside 350 dies, maybe hold on top of back for 400 lol

so that was fun, back to our regularly scheduled program
Thanks for the ballistics lesson

Who would have thought that a 26 nosler shooting the same bullet as a Grendel, but only 800 fps faster, would have an advantage
Old 08-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the ballistics lesson

Who would have thought that a 26 nosler shooting the same bullet as a Grendel, but only 800 fps faster, would have an advantage
That's an interesting match up, the 2nd highest hp 6.5 vs the lowest hp. (6.5x300 weatherby being king i believe)

The 6.5N vs the 6.5G, lets take a perspective on these for poops and giggles.

6.5N = 2000 fps at 1000 yards. (2.5x further)
6.5G = 2000 fps at 400 yards.

6.5N = 38 ft/lbs recoil energy from 8 lb rifle. (4.75x more recoil)
6.5G = 8 ft/lbs recoil energy from 8 lb rifle.

6.5N Barrel life 1000-1500. (10 shot strings vs 5 shot strings)
6.5G Barrel life 5000+ in AR's (20-30 shot strings), bolt actions maybe endless? (5x more barrel life)

Vaporize things at normal hunting distances advantage definitely goes to the 6.5N, the Grendel, boring kills by comparison.

6.5N = Ferarri
6.5G = Honda Civic

Both these options not for the masses, or best choice of do all 6.5's, doubt anyone would argue with that. 6.5 Creedmoor would win the versatility for most shooters/hunters.

One of those is the definition of efficiency while the other is the exact opposite of that. That 800 fps sure does come with a price. Would hate to see your fuel bills, for your guns, or your vehicles.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-14-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's an interesting match up, the 2nd highest hp 6.5 vs the lowest hp. (6.5x300 weatherby being king i believe)

The 6.5N vs the 6.5G, lets take a perspective on these for poops and giggles.

6.5N = 2000 fps at 1000 yards. (2.5x further)
6.5G = 2000 fps at 400 yards.

6.5N = 38 ft/lbs recoil energy from 8 lb rifle. (4.75x more recoil)
6.5G = 8 ft/lbs recoil energy from 8 lb rifle.

6.5N Barrel life 1000-1500. (10 shot strings vs 5 shot strings)
6.5G Barrel life 5000+ in AR's (20-30 shot strings), bolt actions maybe endless? (5x more barrel life)

Vaporize things at normal hunting distances advantage definitely goes to the 6.5N, the Grendel, boring kills by comparison.

6.5N = Ferarri
6.5G = Honda Civic

Both these options not for the masses, or best choice of do all 6.5's, doubt anyone would argue with that. 6.5 Creedmoor would win the versatility for most shooters/hunters.

One of those is the definition of efficiency while the other is the exact opposite of that. That 800 fps sure does come with a price. Would hate to see your fuel bills, for your guns, or your vehicles.
I’ll take 2000 FPS at 1000 yards Alex

26N= dead
6.5g = not dead
Old 08-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Banned

Anyways
These binos should be coming out in the next couple weeks
Hopefully someone gets their hands on them and can give everyone a review