Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
The only issue I have with Sylvan is I wish there was a few more boat access. Sunbreaker Cove launch is super busy and I think twice before going there on busy days or even the time of day.
If the weather gets bad what a cluster trying too get off the lake...

Now the whining about keeping a Fish. I am so very thankful I can take my Grandkids out , they can catch a Fish put it in the live well and when we get home put it on the plate.

Im just thankful to catch a few and enjoy a day off of work on the lake and bring home the tastiest Fish ever.....next to halibut..

Like was stated at the start of this thread by 58TheCat . People will complain either way instead of being Thankful for the opportunity Sylvan provides us now
Great post!
Agree on a few better launches to help out. I've only been to Sunbreaker in the fall. I can't imagine how that is on a long weekend in summer.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You realize that on average 10% of fish caught and released will die? Doesn't matter what you as an angler does fish will die and if you don't use artificial bait the mortality rate increases. The end result is does the fish waste away in the lake/river or do you get to feed yourself with it. So unless your excellent catch and release days are catching less than 10 fish (which I wouldn't say is an excellent day...) a 1 fish limit will statistically result in less fish killed than if you just CR a bunch. Do a search for various studies done on Hooking Mortality.

For starters here is a good article and specifically mentions walleye's mortality rate as done by the Minnesota DNR.

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/201...y-live-or-die/

There’s is no real way to know that kind of statistic. Each lake, on a different day has an entirely different set of people on it. I would imagine the 1 in 10, is probably closer to 1 in 30-40, the 30th being the person who doesn’t know what their doing.
One day a guy drops his pliers in the lake, or some random happening that causes a released fish to die.
What percentage of fish caught will die of natural causes soon after released? Hit by a prop. Don’t get enough O2 from the part of the lake their in? A lake in Florida compares to a lake in AB?
It’s obvious this isn’t the area a reliable figure can be blankety applied.
If the fish I release die, their day was coming.
Consider the amount of bait introduced into a lake. A free easy meal compared to expending a lot of energy getting it, while avoiding being eaten itself. Look at the PP at pigeon. If catching and releasing was a real harm to them, they wouldn’t be there. I’m certain their there as much for the bait as the natural prey. How many fish would have died without that bait meal?
Near infinite factors at play.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Big wind here, a few boats in trouble this morning.

D.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Big wind here, a few boats in trouble this morning.

D.

Pardon my ignorance on this subject but why do so many images of boats sinking or being randomly washed up come from sylvan lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM

And that right there is why you take your boat out when you're not there. OUCH!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Or spend a few bucks and buy a lift?