Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Primrose Lake Petition

Petition to open Primrose Lake on the weapons range, for an annual fishing weekend. For the the public to enjoy from 07:00 to 19:00 the third weekend of every March Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Limits to be determined. Potentially 5 fish per angler any size.

If Suffeild and Wainwright can organize a dry land hunt on the base with firearms, safely and efficiently. Why can’t a fishing weekend be done on the safety of a temporary ice surface (no unexploded devices to worry about)?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Kind of comparing apples to oranges with wainwright and suffield to primrose. The hunt is used to control animal population numbers. There’s literally no need for that in the lake.

It would just be a bunch of tax dollars for the benefit of maybe a few hundred people with no environmental benefit.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM

You won’t catch the next world record walleye at Winifred.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 PM

I understand the appeal of fishing primrose. There’s just no environmental or conservation benefit to justify interrupting military operations and spending tax dollars to organize what you’re suggesting. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to fish there. Like I said, comparing it to wainwright or suffield is apples to oranges
Old 03-17-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I understand the appeal of fishing primrose. There’s just no environmental or conservation benefit to justify interrupting military operations and spending tax dollars to organize what you’re suggesting. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to fish there. Like I said, comparing it to wainwright or suffield is apples to oranges
There was no comparison from a wildlife or fish mannagement standpoint. The comparison is for safety and the ablitly to organize such a thing.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:57 PM

There’s no reason why they couldn’t organize such a thing. Just no reason why they would.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Petition to open Primrose Lake on the weapons range, for an annual fishing weekend. For the the public to enjoy from 07:00 to 19:00 the third weekend of every March Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Limits to be determined. Potentially 5 fish per angler any size.

If Suffeild and Wainwright can organize a dry land hunt on the base with firearms, safely and efficiently. Why can’t a fishing weekend be done on the safety of a temporary ice surface (no unexploded devices to worry about)?
I wish you the best of luck. Let us know when you get the petition rolling and ill gladly sign it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM

they let the commercial guys on over the christmas break when the pilots aren't flying anyway. no disruption.
Also most of the wings are in the southern states right now flying to get some hours in due to the winter weather here limits flight times. Seems they go most times in March.
Couldn't see why they wouldn't let it open on a few weekends while the jets are away.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Default Primrose Lake

Even if your petition was to be approved DND still has the write to deny access due to inherent safety risks associated with unexploded ordinance.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 PM

It get gets the crap netted out of it. I have seen the pictures of all the
Walleye and lots of montsters. It’s a big lake so not sure if that puts a dent in the population or not. I think this lake was open to the public in summer before. Maybe it will be again.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Walleye and lots of montsters. It’s a big lake so not sure if that puts a dent in the population or not. I think this lake was open to the public in summer before. Maybe it will be again.
It has not been open to the public in nearly 20 years. The commercial fishermen and natives can fish it though.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM

The commercial fisherman had one day to fish it this year. It was during the -30 in January and only a few guys went I heard.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
The commercial fisherman had one day to fish it this year. It was during the -30 in January and only a few guys went I heard.
I think they were there again this weekend.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
It was a great lake to fish in years ago. Lots of large walleye. Nice sized pike. And there was a time you could bring back both the Alberta limits and Saskatchewan limits. Best walleye fishing I have ever had was at Primrose. One time the DNR looked in our livewell and asked how many walleye we threw back to get our limits of such large fish. Our answer was, none.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk