Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM

I’m no fan of any losses of freedom so to speak, but this is one thing I am definitely in favour of. I’ll gladly get delayed an extra 2 minutes on a traffic stop to help get a couple more drunk drivers off the road.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM

They check for marijuana impairment too correct?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I’m no fan of any losses of freedom so to speak, but this is one thing I am definitely in favour of. I’ll gladly get delayed an extra 2 minutes on a traffic stop to help get a couple more drunk drivers off the road.
But the question is, compared to the old way where a cop might smell it on your breath and test you, does it actually?

Bet if they added a mandatory DNA sample to compare to their evidence banks, they might solve a few cold cases as well...
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

it's a slippery slope. Why not take our guns away as that will save lives.... how can you not support something if it means saving a life??
Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
it's a slippery slope. Why not take our guns away as that will save lives.... how can you not support something if it means saving a life??
Guns serve a useful purpose, drinking and driving do not.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Drinking serves a social function for many.
Guns do not serve a useful purpose to many.
Drinking does not serve a purpose for many.
Guns serve a purpose to many.

It depends on you view of the situation.
Impaired driving is not acceptable, nor is killing a human.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 AM

I know more than one person who has completed their blowbox time and is back to their old ways so I can't argue with it.

One figures he should drive because he can't walk he's too drunk. The other argued that he had his constitutional rights infringed when the cop asked him to blow because he had cans rolling around in his box and floorboard.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Guns are an object like like alcohol,neither do any harm on their own. To do a fair comparison, banning firearms to prevent their misuse would be like banning alcohol to prevent drunk driving. And given that many more people are killed as a result of alcohol abuse, banning alcohol would actually save more lives.

Quote:
Anything to get drunks or impaired slobs off the road
So ban alcohol, problem solved.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Tell you what.. You give up your rights and keep your hands off of mine. This is a PATHETIC/STUPID/UNCONSTITUTIONAL/MORALLY WRONG procedure.

Anyone that goes along with these Gestapo ideas deserve every little piece of crap that that is coming down the pipe. You guys are just suckers that think this is ok in any fashion. Did you know that the cops can now demand a breath test on someone who may have been driving 2 hours ago? This is all disgusting.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Tell you what.. You give up your rights and keep your hands off of mine. This is a PATHETIC/STUPID/UNCONSTITUTIONAL/MORALLY WRONG procedure.

Anyone that goes along with these Gestapo ideas deserve every little piece of crap that that is coming down the pipe. You guys are just suckers that think this is ok in any fashion. Did you know that the cops can now demand a breath test on someone who may have been driving 2 hours ago? This is all disgusting.
By any chance have you ever told someone that, "if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about?"
Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
By any chance have you ever told someone that, "if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about?"
Great, cops will be right over to check every drawer in your house, go through all your electronics and do a anal probe on you.. JUST BECOUSE... But hey, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about..............
Old 06-25-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Great, cops will be right over to check every drawer in your house, go through all your electronics and do a anal probe on you.. JUST BECOUSE... But hey, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about..............
No, I was referring to the fact that you've probably uttered that line in your life.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the new DNA sample we will have to provide as well, it's really going to help clearing up all the backlog of old cases involving *pick your crime*.....

But if it saves just one life, we shouldn't complain about an arbitrary imposition on our basic rights and freedoms.

Oh wait, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is already toothless and arbitrary. We don't have any right to warrantless search if we are gun owners, and property rights are not enshrined....basically anything you think you own you don't as it is.

George Orwell was a prophet before his time. He must have had a dream about Canada.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:

What’s even more disgusting is getting a knock on the door that your wife or child was killed by an impaired driver. Planning the funeral of someone you love who was taken far too early by something completely preventable is pretty damn disgusting. Seeing how it affects the rest of your family for years to come is disgusting.

I certainly can’t profess to speak for you, but I’m my opinion I’d be a lot more
Concerned if someone I loved was killed by an impaired driver that was pulled over 20 minutes earlier but for whatever reason the cop didn’t have reasonable grounds to make them blow than I would be with a 2 minute inconvenience of blowing if I get pulled over.

To liken it to guns......no one is saying don’t drink anymore than someone is saying we can’t own guns. If your drinking take a cab, if your shooting do it within the confines of the law. Unfortunately there isn’t a like comparison between guns and random breath tests as they are fundamentally different things, but owning a gun is more like holding a drivers license. You need to be licensed for both, pass tests to legally do both, etc. Then, there is a set of laws to abide by to do both legally......and law enforcement have ways of ensuring that we are legally doing both.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 AM

More people die or are injured from excessive speed and distracted driving than impaired drivers. But many more people continue to drive fast and distracted. Why is the punishment so different for each?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
More people die or are injured from excessive speed and distracted driving than impaired drivers. But many more people continue to drive fast and distracted. Why is the punishment so different for each?
Should not be.....loss of licence for one year.....and given a bicycle.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
you make a very good point .
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Nailed it!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:

As Drewski stated, the mandatory testing for all is constitutional.

Regarding the demand for a breath sample after the fact, there needs to be reasonable cause period. So a driver does a hit and run causing bodily harm to someone you know, makes it home before the police can track the vehicle down... Pretty good cause to take a breath sample at their residence would it not ? They are not going to 'target' anyone, take the tin foil off and limit your consumption while behind the wheel.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 AM

In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.

If you apply "liberal logic" or "LL"to the above statistics, then 72% of deaths are caused by people who are not drinking. "LL" shows that people should be required to drink before driving.

No. I am am not in favour of drinking and driving just showing how statistics can be misinterpreted.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.

If you apply "liberal logic" or "LL"to the above statistics, then 72% of deaths are caused by people who are not drinking. "LL" shows that people should be required to drink before driving.

No. I am am not in favour of drinking and driving just showing how statistics can be misinterpreted.
I’ll bet these numbers are a lot higher for distracted driving. I think if your caught for distracted driving you should lose your license for 5 yrs.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Banned

If the goal is to save lives theres lots of ways our govt can do this. How about banning fast food. Theres a major obesity problem. How about a ban on smoking?? We already know this kills lots of people every year. We should take it a step further and ban phones in cars as distracted driving is the biggest issue on the road.

We can use the arguement that any new law is good because it saves lives... so why stop with the drinking and driving laws??

Using guns is the perfect analogy to this law as theres a huge segment of the population who are anti gun and who believe removing our gun rights will save lives.... it's already happening.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
They are not going to 'target' anyone, take the tin foil off and limit your consumption while behind the wheel.
Dont follow national news?

A guy in Ontario was pulled out of his house after returning from the bottle depot, cops reasoning was he returned "too many empty's" so by default he must allways be drunk. Great Police work.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4828694/i...-tests-police/

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toront...thalyzer-tests

Recently a lady in BC was pulled out of her house after returning home and consuming some wine with her friends & family AFTER she had gotten home and was railroaded with an impaired charge just to be overturned because she simply wasn't driving drunk.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5326941/n...-breathalyzer/

I have no problem checking someone out behind the wheel but these new laws just go too far, especially the 2 hr one. That law is ripe for exploitation and that's exactly what's going on.

I wish they would go after distracted drivers with the same vigor.

Distracted driving kills more people than impaired driving but get caught and you get a small fine and your on your way. It dosent make any sense.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Dont follow national news?

A guy in Ontario was pulled out of his house after returning from the bottle depot, cops reasoning was he returned "too many empty's" so by default he must allways be drunk. Great Police work.

Recently a lady in BC was pulled out of her house after returning home and consuming some wine with her friends & family AFTER she had gotten home and was railroaded with an impaired charge just to be overturned because she simply wasn't driving drunk.

I have no problem checking someone out behind the wheel but these new laws just go too far, especially the 2 hr one. That law is ripe for exploitation and that's exactly what's going on.

Distracted driving kills more people than impaired driving but get caught and you get a small fine and your on your way. It dosent make any sense.
Roy Green had a show on this
Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 PM

I am absolutely shocked as to how easily people are willing to hand over their basic rights....to the point where they are good with "the odd person" being harassed, wrongly penalized and out of pocket for something they did not do.

UNBELIEVABLE

07-20-2019 06:58 PM
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Jamie;3993345]Tell you what.. You give up your rights and keep your hands off of mine. This is a PATHETIC/STUPID/UNCONSTITUTIONAL/MORALLY WRONG procedure.

^^^ This 1000%.
I have zero sympathy for drink and driving and less for erosion of freedoms.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
I have zero sympathy for drink and driving and less for erosion of freedoms.
Well that my friend is such a perfect example of an oxymoron that it could be used in an English text book. How do you expect them to tackle drunk driving if they're not allowed to pull people over?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Well that my friend is such a perfect example of an oxymoron that it could be used in an English text book. How do you expect them to tackle drunk driving if they're not allowed to pull people over?
Comprehension is a great skill.
I’ve never said “they shouldn’t be allowed to pull you over”.
I believe “they” should be expected to form a reasonable suspicion before “they” breach your charter rights and curtail your freedom of movement to carry on “their” investigation.
Is that too much to ask?
Or should we all just lay down and agree the state knows best, do to us as you will...

Again, feel free to give up your rights, I’ll hang on to mine thank you.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Banned

It's really simple Folks, ZERO drinks if you are going to drive...how much more simple can that get?? If I've had 1 drink, I'm NOT driving even though I drive way better after a few
When I plan to go out for dinner downtown YEG, I hire a cab even if it's a $5 fare and TIP the driver $10 to make it worth it to him. All in all that's $30 in travel expenses, cheaper than the wine I'll purchase
Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
It's really simple Folks, ZERO drinks if you are going to drive...how much more simple can that get??
This ^^^^^

Leave your car at home son don't take your car to town