Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Plugging tires.

I’ve been plagued with flats lately, constantly fixing tires and picking up all manners of shrapnel that I don’t know where they come from.

I’m mostly on gravel, or prairie trails or what have you. Could be coming from anywhere.
I’ve diligently removed each offending wheel and taken it to get fixed. I always ask the tire guy what was in it, usually I hear nail or screw or a sharp stone but sometimes it’s nothing other than a puncture from an object no longer there.

The last flat repair I picked up had an obvious plug in it. I’ve been told we shouldn’t plug highway tires because it would separate the belts and we’ll crash and die?

I’m thinking if you guys are just going to plug them I can just do it myself. I keep a plug kit and 12v compressor in the truck for “emergencies only”

What say you?

Anyone else plugging their own tires and carrying on?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Banned

i plug my atv tires, and the ones on my old tracker that is never driven fast, but i take the ones from my pick-up and the wife's car to the tire shop.

i've had a couple lately that didn't want to seal, so have ended up putting air in them from time to time, which is a pain.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:47 AM

First off, what kind of tires are you running. It has been over 15 years since I had to fix a tire, they just don't seem to pick up as much debris as the ones did 30 years ago. Second thing, given where you are driving, is it possible someone is salting the roads or trails. The last flat I got some Dbag had intentionally thrown thousands of construction staples on a main freeway. It caused hundreds if not thousands of damaged tires and since a lot were sidewall damage ended up having to be replaced.

As far as patch versus plug, hopefully TireBob ways in or you can PM him. He will give you the straight goods for sure.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:47 AM

When they fix flats now, there is a patch with a plug. So you get best of both worlds. A plain ol plug works and I’ve used them lots but then I patch them when I go to my dads garage.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Plug kit and the pellet gun air thingy on my motorcycle. Used it twice. Wouldnt travel without it.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Time to buy new tires. Flats in today's tires are a rarity if they're in decent shape.

Grizz
Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

I always plug my tires, takes 5 minutes. So far I haven’t had a failure on any of my plugs. It’s really simple, just remove the object (so long as it’s not in the sidewall) push the file in, work it real good, put the plug on the plug insert tool, slather it in glue, ram it in the hole, then trim flush with the tread. A couple times I had a screws in my tires, I just took the screw out, put silicone one the screw then put it back in. I know one screw was in there for at least a year until I changed tires.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I always plug my tires, takes 5 minutes. A couple times I had a screws in my tires, I just took the screw out, put silicone one the screw then put it back in. I know one screw was in there for at least a year until I changed tires.
Damn tough way to stud a tire there buddy.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Wrong.

Brand new tires in many cases.

I have somewhere around 140 tires on my farm and seem to be fixing all of them a lot.

Some are obvious, I’ve spent thousands of dollars repairing damage to tractor and implement tires from deer horns. (Which is generally plugged and then a tube put in)

I’m more so talking about pickup tires.

These are 17” load rated E tires with 90% tread.

Frustrating beyond belief.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:58 AM
AO Sponsor

A plug is not inherently dangerous. They do not cause tread separation. The main issue with plugging a tire is that unless the tire has been removed from the rim and internally inspected, you do not know if the tire has sustained any catastrophic damage that is hidden from the outside which in turn will create an unsafe driving situation, and if you are pulling the tire off to inspect it, you might as well fix it permanently with a proper quill type repair, also known as a combi repair or a plug/patch, which is a one piece plug and patch where the plug is inserted from the inside of the tire to the outside. This is the best way to fix a tire as the hole is sealed from the outside keeping debris and moisture from entering the casing structure as well as patching the inner liner sealing the air and moisture from inside the tire.

This all said, a plug as an emergency or temporary repair is totally justifiable. Obviously you do not want to plug and drive on a tire with serious damage (bulging, tears, sidewalls, etc) but if you see a screw or the tire just started dropping in pressure and you have not driven on a flat tire etc I would not hesitate to plug it to get where I am going and then having it inspected and repaired permanently as soon as I am able to. Usually at that point, I will pull the tire off and if the plug has been done properly I will just clip it from the inside but leave it inserted and then buff and patch from the inside giving the same effect as a combi repair.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Time to buy new tires. Flats in today's tires are a rarity if they're in decent shape.

Grizz
I must just be unlucky , as I have had one flat with my 2019 truck, and I had three or four on my 2007 truck, and one flat with my 2014 SUV. And I don't wait until the tires are totally worn out before I change them out.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 AM

Nothing wrong with plugs in tires. I’ve used them with no issues.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Nothing wrong with tire plugs , used them when working in bush , had as many as, 5 in one hole and it worked , never had any tire fail because of plugs, highway speeds no problem,
I used 10 ply tires, way less problems with punctures,
Old 10-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Would and have used plugs, a simple puncture like a nail or screw won't generally severe the radial wires in a tire and has no effect on that.

If your getting lots of punctures you should consider more ply's on the tire and maybe a heavier tire. Toyo M-55's for example, though they do pick up gravel.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:39 PM

It's possible you are getting cuts from pieces of steel that come off of grader blades. Pretty common on gravel roads.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:35 PM

I've used plugs at least 30 times and have never had one come loose.This was when I used to drive much faster on the highway too.

I always put them in thinking I would get it fixed next time I made a trip to town. Then I'd forget about them until I went to change the tires.

I used to keep a kit in every vehicle I drove. You can sure turn into a hero with a plug kit and a 12v compressor. when you're far away from a tire shop (seems lots of people don't check their spare until they need it).

Also, just a reminder. Check your spares! I've seen a few trucks where guys couldn't get the spare to lower, a few flat spares and one where a guy bought a truck and never looked but the spare had been removed.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
i've used plugs at least 30 times and have never had one come loose.this was when i used to drive much faster on the highway too.

I always put them in thinking i would get it fixed next time i made a trip to town. Then i'd forget about them until i went to change the tires.

I used to keep a kit in every vehicle i drove. You can sure turn into a hero with a plug kit and a 12v compressor. When you're far away from a tire shop (seems lots of people don't check their spare until they need it).

also, just a reminder. Check your spares! I've seen a few trucks where guys couldn't get the spare to lower, a few flat spares and one where a guy bought a truck and never looked but the spare had been removed.
gold !!
Old 10-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I've used plugs at least 30 times and have never had one come loose.This was when I used to drive much faster on the highway too.

I always put them in thinking I would get it fixed next time I made a trip to town. Then I'd forget about them until I went to change the tires.

I used to keep a kit in every vehicle I drove. You can sure turn into a hero with a plug kit and a 12v compressor. when you're far away from a tire shop (seems lots of people don't check their spare until they need it).

Also, just a reminder. Check your spares! I've seen a few trucks where guys couldn't get the spare to lower, a few flat spares and one where a guy bought a truck and never looked but the spare had been removed.
also try the jack. I bought a used truck and the jack was not strong enough to lift the truck. had to call a tow truck and he came out with a floor jack. Dodge 2500 cummins is heavy
Old 10-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Dodge 2500 cummins is heavy
Great point to add! I also own a dodge diesel and in a pinch had to use my jack-all on the front 'tow hook' talk about a sketchy ordeal...
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 PM

I always carry a bottle jack and a couple short planks, drive flat tire up on one, put one under bottle jack so it doesn’t sink in the mud dirt,
Works all the time for me, on 2500 or 3500 diesel trucks,
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
also try the jack. I bought a used truck and the jack was not strong enough to lift the truck. had to call a tow truck and he came out with a floor jack. Dodge 2500 cummins is heavy
Was changing a tire with the stock jack on a GMC pickup - front end. Snow covered winter road. Was pretty young at the time, 18 or 19.

Bottom of the jack blew out - front of truck dropped. Wheel hub landed on the rim just as last stud came out - inches away from my nuts (legs on each side of the tire...)

Last time I ever positioned myself like that under a vehicle. Almost wasn't fit to have kids 😂
Old 10-13-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Was changing a tire with the stock jack on a GMC pickup - front end. Snow covered winter road. Was pretty young at the time, 18 or 19.

Bottom of the jack blew out - front of truck dropped. Wheel hub landed on the rim just as last stud came out - inches away from my nuts (legs on each side of the tire...)

Last time I ever positioned myself like that under a vehicle. Almost wasn't fit to have kids 😂

Classic! Bet that was a shock!

I’ve gone the majority of my driving career with 4 flats. Got 1 on my first car due to worn out tires. Already had new tires just waiting for shop appointment. Ran over a screw on my new truck last year.... they just buffed and patched from the inside. Then on a backcountry canoe trip this year I suffered 2 flats one after the other on the same tire. First was a bolt through the tread, got that fixed then took a a piece of shale through the tire... kinda ironic but on that trip between 3 vehicles we suffered 4 flats. Real crap roads that I should have known better than to take the wife’s cherokee on and used my truck with 10plys instead.... live n learn the patches are holding and already have replacement tires picked out.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Wrong.

Brand new tires in many cases.

I have somewhere around 140 tires on my farm and seem to be fixing all of them a lot.

Some are obvious, I’ve spent thousands of dollars repairing damage to tractor and implement tires from deer horns. (Which is generally plugged and then a tube put in)

I’m more so talking about pickup tires.

These are 17” load rated E tires with 90% tread.

Frustrating beyond belief.
Believe you, but the only two punctures in my memory are mine and a friends, both occurred on the Morley reserve. One has to wonder ?

Grizz
Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Nothing wrong with plugs in tires. I’ve used them with no issues.
Yup.....and when it gets to the point the same tire gets plugged too often then off to buy new tires.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

That would probably the worst way to be pinned I can think of. Jack doesn't work, phones in the truck. Do you pull? uggg.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Most times it's easier to plug a tire than jack up a truck and put on the spare if you have a little compressor with you. If it happins way out in the bush you can carry on and still have a spare.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
My BIL is an electrical inspector in Edmonton and gets a flat at least once every couple months driving onto new builds/construction sites with nails and screws all over the place. He uses plugs all the time.

Hint: never park in front of or behind those construction waste bins....