Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Default Do the animals killed with a bow and arrow taste better then the ones killed with a rifle ?

I've killed many animals in Alberta and it seems to me that the animal taken with an arrow tastes better then the ones killed with a bullet..
I might be wrong , but I think that with a good bow shot , double lungs or heart , usually all blood is gone from the meat almost immediately .
The animal does not even realise of what have happened and is not under the stress .
Am I wrong or you bow/rifle hunters feel the same?

S12
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 PM

This is gonna be good............

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

Never been able to tell difference myself
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Banned

I've never heard of a bow kill dying immediately. Conversely, a grapefruit sized hole in the "boiler room" has instantly dispatched many critters.

The Japanese conducted an experiment regarding the effects of stress on fish and its' flavor. The fish that suffered the least were the most palatable. I'd imagine that this would apply to mammals as well.

This would be the only reason why I don't bow hunt. I'm hesitant to consume an animal that has suffered for more than an instant.

To each their own.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Banned

Many things affect the taste of game. Their diet, age, health and whether or not they were pursued at length while wounded until they either succumbed or were finally dispatched. The projectile that impacts their organs has zero effect on how they taste
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Banned

The best wild meat I have eaten was a bow killed
Mule deer. Shot 20 degrees Celsius and thrown in a creek as soon as it was gutted. That doesn’t mean a bow kill is necessarily better. It was shot out of rut and cooled very quickly, also was feeding on alfalfa and barley. That’s where I give credit for good meat.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:50 AM

Unless your consuming the meat bruised and jellied by the bullet then I don’t think it matters. In your minds eye a bow kill might taste better because of the extra effort put in. Same way that when you have to pack out an animal might taste “better” than one you killed next to the truck. Effort= appreciation
Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Ones shot with muzzleloaders taste the best. They have an extra little Smokey flavour
Old 10-12-2019, 06:25 AM

I put an arrow in a bull moose a week ago, it ran no more than 10 yards, stopped, and tipped over backwards about 15 seconds later. That's the definition of dying instantly from an arrow.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I've never heard of a bow kill dying immediately. Conversely, a grapefruit sized hole in the "boiler room" has instantly dispatched many critters.

The Japanese conducted an experiment regarding the effects of stress on fish and its' flavor. The fish that suffered the least were the most palatable. I'd imagine that this would apply to mammals as well.

This would be the only reason why I don't bow hunt. I'm hesitant to consume an animal that has suffered for more than an instant.

To each their own.
If you think every animal shot with a firearm “dies instantly” and doesn’t suffer for “more than an instant” you have a tilted view on hunting.

Of
Old 10-12-2019, 07:29 AM

No!

There are no absolutes
Old 10-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Too many variables to get into this one.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM

I can say I’ve have better tasting Mule Deer bucks that I took with my Bow early in archery season, And stronger tasting bucks taken during the rut with a rifle. That’s just a timing thing though... same species, same time of year, no difference between rifle and bow...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM

I've had quick kills with both but generally find rifle shot animals don't travel as far. I have yet to have a deer drop instantly with an arrow but within 50 yards.

I think the biggest factor with wild meat is how it is treated after the kill. It seems very popular these days to follow the "when in doubt, back out" idea. so lots of animals are sitting overnight. I did this once with a deer in cold weather that I couldn't find that night. Luckily the meat was good. I wouldn't do this on purpose like many hunting shows are showing.\

To each there own but cool your meat down ASAP. That is the biggest factor.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I put an arrow in a bull moose a week ago, it ran no more than 10 yards, stopped, and tipped over backwards about 15 seconds later. That's the definition of dying instantly from an arrow.
I agree, that was fast.

I don't know which which tastes better. I know that after shooting an animal at 200 yards with a rifle that, after packing up all your gear and walking the 200 yards, it has usually expired.
That time frame is important.

On the other hand ask yourself why butchers use one shot to the head while the animal is standing quietly in a chute or very small corral?

I think that, the less stress on the animal after being shot, will affect the taste; either by a bow or rifle, as will proper field dressing.

IMHO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-12-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Wild game taste

I’ve killed game with bow and rifle. Not proud to say but 1 mule buck escaped across the river after being wounded. It took 2 hrs and a kill shot to put the animal down. When butchering we always remove every trace of fat , gristle and silver skin. Youd be hard pressed to tell The difference between that wounded mule Buck and a doe that dropped on the spot with a head shot. It’s all In how you deal with that animal once it’s down. Bleed it good, get the guts out and get it cooled down is key. JMHO after processing my own game for 40 years.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ones shot with muzzleloaders taste the best. They have an extra little Smokey flavour

Even more so if they're Old Smokes coffee afficianados. If you're lucky enough to whack one of these while he's kicking back in a satin robe, sipping cognac and puffing a Cuban cigar?..., that my friend is Utopia.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you think every animal shot with a firearm “dies instantly” and doesn’t suffer for “more than an instant” you have a tilted view on hunting.

Of
I didn't make that statement. I've seen a number of unscrupulous individuals take risky shots and wound the animal.

I ensure that the animal presents me with the perfect angle prior to pulling the trigger. If I can't get a clean shot, then I wont shoot.

And yes, I'm aware of quick deaths as a result of an arrow, however none of them are instant. I've head shot a few deer where there was little left of the cranium, and the body simply collapsed on the spot.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:14 AM

Archery-the original Halal meat processing technique
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

I think the biggest factor with wild meat is how it is treated after the kill. It seems very popular these days to follow the "when in doubt, back out" idea. so lots of animals are sitting overnight. I did this once with a deer in cold weather that I couldn't find that night. Luckily the meat was good. I wouldn't do this on purpose like many hunting shows are showing.\

To each there own but cool your meat down ASAP. That is the biggest factor.
Fully agree. The other thing I would say, is hang the meat long enough to remove all rigor before trying to cut it into finished size pieces for freezing. KRthegunslinger's point about removing all bone, fat and silver skin is also great advice in my experience.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Most animals taken with Bow are taken before the rut. However if animal does not get knocked over in his bed and runs then adreniline kicks in and meat becomes very tough. Thus smoke pole probably better technique for higher quality meat taken early in season.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM

No difference with a clean kill be it with a rifle bow or spear, same as a less than perfect kill.....
After care is super important as well
Cat
Old 10-12-2019, 10:40 AM

I would think adrenalin and higher heart rate for a longer period of time would make the difference, if any. A bow kill with perfect arrow placement vs a bad shot with a rifle will reverse your expected results.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I had identical experience on 1.5 years old bull moose one month ago that was shot through the heart with an arrow.
We tried tenderloins steaks the following day and they were excellent .
We had the same steaks yesterday after approximately 3 weeks of aging and they were as good as before ,maybe only a bit softer.

I was also keeping in my deep freezer couple of steaks from the moose I killed couple of years ago a bit later in the season on Sep 30th .I put the bullet between his eyes at 40 yds .
I remember the steak out of that moose was pretty tough the next day after the kill and there was quite a bit of blood in it as I cooked it. The aging did improve the taste significantly .
Old 10-13-2019, 07:12 AM

I think maybe people might get impression bow kill taste better cause they shot a deer in the rut with a rifle vs a deer not in rut with a bow. I can’t see how there could be a difference in taste for a clean death of a animal.
In my opinion maybe if it’s extremely cold it might work or if the animal was alive most of night you might get lucky. I would not come back in the morning if I shot an animal in the evening and eat it. Especially in bow hunting season were it is a lot warmer. It kind of irritates me when I here people do this like a common practice. Most hunting show that do this don’t eat the animal. To me it seems a lot of hunters are more interested in collecting something to hang in their house or garage
Old 10-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I didn't make that statement. I've seen a number of unscrupulous individuals take risky shots and wound the animal.

I ensure that the animal presents me with the perfect angle prior to pulling the trigger. If I can't get a clean shot, then I wont shoot.

And yes, I'm aware of quick deaths as a result of an arrow, however none of them are instant. I've head shot a few deer where there was little left of the cranium, and the body simply collapsed on the spot.
And I have seen a small whitetail buck with a broken jaw assumed from a head shot. Also found a dead head on the wainwright base that the co’s said was a failed head shot. No matter what the weapon put it in the boiler room, in my opinion. I have seen several of my bow kills die in sight.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 AM

I haven't noticed a difference if processed right. I do, however, like the cutting up of a bow kill. I managed to get a cow moose Fri night and it looks great from that aspect. Should be tasty. Travelled 25 ft from hit.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Road Kill.... instant death, no holes, and hamburger already made
Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
And I have seen a small whitetail buck with a broken jaw assumed from a head shot. Also found a dead head on the wainwright base that the co’s said was a failed head shot.
That's why I stated that I will not discharge my firearm unless I'm certain that I will make a quick and ethical kill.

I haven't shot a deer later than mid October since the rifle season opens earlier up North, therefore I cannot attest to the culinary properties of a WT in rut.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That's why I stated that I will not discharge my firearm unless I'm certain that I will make a quick and ethical kill.

I haven't shot a deer later than mid October since the rifle season opens earlier up North, therefore I cannot attest to the culinary properties of a WT in rut.
Many things can happen on a “certain” shot. Missing a few inches on a head shot could be problematic but missing a few inches on a lung shot is fine, way larger kill zone.