Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Pork fat to ground venison?

First time butchering my own deer and have a couple of questions. Already wrapped some in waxed paper and froze it but wondering (after watching Meateater) if i should have wrapped it in cling wrap then paper? Also when i went to get some pork fat at the local butcher he apologized for not having "the pork fat i was looking for" but pork fat trimmings with small bits of meat attached. Can i just trim these of the meat and grind it in with the venison or should it be rendered down first? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Personally I would just grind your pork trimmings with the fat and your deer meat. No need to throw it away in my mind?
Lots of people like using bacon ends too.

I’ve never used cling wrap before when packaging meat, but I have used butcher paper that came in individual sheets with a plastic liner sort of deal?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 PM

I don't mix any fat to my game meat. It's not needed.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Personally I would just grind your pork trimmings with the fat and your deer meat. No need to throw it away in my mind?
Lots of people like using bacon ends too.

I’ve never used cling wrap before when packaging meat, but I have used butcher paper that came in individual sheets with a plastic liner sort of deal?
Butcher paper is wax lined.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-11-2019, 06:44 PM

All my wild burger gets ground with a 50/50 or 60/40 pork trim and 40% pork to 60% wild.. but you can always add oil while cooking if you ground less than that.. and wrapped in straight butcher paper is fine..

Jim...
Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

I never heard of wrapping in wax paper. Do you mean butcher paper? If you use butcher paper and wrap it tight to get all the air up it’ll last a couple of years or more no problem. No need to cling wrap too.

I just take my trim in and get sausage made. Mixing ground pork into the ground venison isn’t much cheaper.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I never heard of wrapping in wax paper. Do you mean butcher paper? If you use butcher paper and wrap it tight to get all the air up it’ll last a couple of years or more no problem. No need to cling wrap too.

I just take my trim in and get sausage made. Mixing ground pork into the ground venison isn’t much cheaper.
Re-read my post. Trust me .I have done it a few times.

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 PM

we use the pork trimmings or shoulder for our sausage only , ground is ground
Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Last few times I’ve made deer sausage I’ve bought the big pork loin from Costco and used that. Very happy with the results. U can also buy big tubes of ground pork there as well that u could mix in.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Re-read my post. Trust me .I have done it a few times.
I didn’t read your post at all. I was referring to what the OP wrote wrt using waxed paper.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Butcher paper is wax lined.

Yes I know butcher paper is waxed on the inside, worked in a butcher shop as a teenager and wrapped and packed thousands of pounds of meat.

One of the last times I made sausage with some neighbours, they had bought butcher paper cut into squares about 24” or so that also had like a separate sheet of clear cellophane type material between them.

It seemed to work well but so does regular butcher paper on a roll.

We always had a hot iron set upside down in a frame to seal the wax together and close up the packages with no tape required.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 PM

Straight up. No pork.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Yes I know butcher paper is waxed on the inside, worked in a butcher shop as a teenager and wrapped and packed thousands of pounds of meat.

One of the last times I made sausage with some neighbours, they had bought butcher paper cut into squares about 24” or so that also had like a separate sheet of clear cellophane type material between them.

It seemed to work well but so does regular butcher paper on a roll.

We always had a hot iron set upside down in a frame to seal the wax together and close up the packages with no tape required.
Okay I have learned something new.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 PM

I always wrap in plastic film then butchers paper. The plastic keeps the oxygen out and the paper protects the plastic...works very well indeed.

I’d never add pork fat to hamburger...pork butts with meat and fat.
Why would anyone add pure fat is one I can’t understand.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 PM

For me pork fat ruins it. Never, never, never!!!!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Last few times I’ve made deer sausage I’ve bought the big pork loin from Costco and used that. Very happy with the results. U can also buy big tubes of ground pork there as well that u could mix in.
x2 on the pork loins, they come on sale all time for 1.99 a lb here.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 AM

for venison burger I freeze my grinding venison in chunks, which reduces chance of freezer burn, though properly wrapped in butcher paper there is no freezer burn over 2 years.
When I need burger I grind it through the coarse plate and make my burgers just before cooking, no added fat needed.
Fat in your burger introduces the rancid flavour, especially when stored a long time.
The one time a German butcher added pork fat to our ground meat for burgers, many years ago, we hated it. Pork with some fat is suitable for sausage making.
With no added fat, you need to cook burgers just until the juices run clear. Overcooking will dry it out.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:03 AM

Ask your butcher for boneless pork butt (shoulder meat). It will have a good portion of fat in it. If you don't add some fat to ground venison, the burgers will fall apart when you cook them. Fat carries flavor in all foods, it's why we crave fat. I even add ground pork to lean ground beef when I make hamburgers. It holds them together better than any (fillers) like eggs or bread crumbs. For simple ground venison (for pasta meat sauce or the like), pork isn't necessary, but would still improve the flavor. If anyone thinks adding pork to ground venison ruins the flavor of the venison, it's because they just don't like pork. To each his own.
Those little cellophane wrappers are an extra layer of protection inside (waxed) butcher paper, to help prevent leaks before freezing and to prevent freezer burn. They will help your frozen meat last longer.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 AM

I like pork for many dishes, just not in venison burgers.
Well formed patties do not fall apart without fat.
Obviously we do something differently.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:28 AM

I generally only add fatty pork trim or pure fat for sausage making. Pork trim with meat attached for general sausage making and pure back fat for my raw dry cured cold work. The quality of the fat you use becomes more critical in products like uncooked dry cured products like salami where you want the fat to hold it's shape and add quality and visual interest to the matrix.

Grinding anything increases cut surface area opening pathways for air contact and reduces shelf life.Low quality pork trim will not help that cause.Wrapping ground products is best achieved under vacuum. IMO

Ground venison for things like chili, I do not add fat.

Making frequent small bespoke sausage batches from whole muscle meat will keep quality high. I only make enough sausage for about one month maximum hold in my freezer.

Bragging about how long someone has held their meat in the freezer makes as much sense to me as someone bragging about how long it has been since they got laid.

Just sad to hear on all counts.

Last edited by omega50; 10-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 AM

I also wrap in plastic film and butcher paper after.I had some meat 2 years old and no freezer burn.Costco sell meat by the case lot ,that make much cheaper.
Buy bnl.shoulder or pork bellies.Someone mentioned add pork loin in my opinion is to lean for venison sausage.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just burger.....leave as is.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:34 AM

I have been hunting since 1986 and I used to put fat in everything. Now I am a deer hunter and I do NOT use fat, peirold, and I dry with a Foodsaver and freeze. If you use butcher wrap or paper, that is exceple, but do not use fat from another species, PEIROLD. And I wish I could spell.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 AM

If you are just grinding your game meat to freeze in packages to use at later date And not to make burgers or sausage with now, then u can use cling wrap first then butcher paper or just use the butcher paper with wax on one side (not all butcher paper has wax on one side). Then get your pork trim or fat and grind it and package in separate packs. Then when you want to make burgers or something where you feel you want pork fat in with your wild game then take one pack of each out and mix together at that point. This is what I do and in my opinion it works better as wild game and Pork break down at different rates when frozen for extended period of time and if mixed together and frozen the game meat can get a weird taste due to the pork breaking down.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I don't mix any fat to my game meat. It's not needed.
X2
Old 10-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
X2
I use extra- virgin olive oil. The oil can be flavored with spices and will add flavor though out the burger. You can add sausage seasonings to the oil and have burgers without sausage casings.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Straight up. No pork.
If you are wanting/needing pork with your ground, mix it in at the time of cooking . Pork, when mixed with any ground at the time of packaging, will not keep as long and may go rancid.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM

I have a recipe for caseless game salami/summer sausage finished in the oven or smoker. Made into smaller diameter sausage size would be just as good. No pork or fat added.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-13-2019, 05:36 PM

I guess adding pork depends on what I'm making, as other have mentioned, using ground in tacos or spaghetti sauce, I don't find it necessary.

Burgers are straight up no pork. If I am going to add anything to burgers it will be ground beef not pork.

Sausages, always 1/3 pork meat/bacon/loin/shoulder (whatever looks good).

The sausages we make get smoked cold, twice, then packed (or eaten right away). Sausage needs some fat.

And ... here's my thoughts, anything you have in your freezer too long isn't going to be great and the more fat (of any kind) it has in it, the more off it will taste.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
I use extra- virgin olive oil. The oil can be flavored with spices and will add flavor though out the burger. You can add sausage seasonings to the oil and have burgers without sausage casings.
Great idea. I've never felt the need to add pork to ground venison but like your idea of spice infused oil