Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 AM

Default ethanol free in gas n Edmonton

I have an older inboard boat that i want to run ethanol free in the gasoline .
Are there any in Edmonton.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:50 AM

I think Shell premium is still free of that junk.

Be happy you don't need C111. Just ordered two "pails" at over $150.00 each !
Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 AM

Shell and some petro Canada's. The petro Canada's the don't offer the 94 octane won't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Shell and some petro Canada's. The petro Canada's the don't offer the 94 octane won't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From Petro Canada
http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/ind...ee%20gasoline?
"Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.

Last edited by cube; 04-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
From Petro Canada
http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/ind...ee%20gasoline?
"Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.
This is the truth. I work for Suncor and have reached out internally to Petro-Canada folks and have gotten the same answer.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:14 PM

I did a lot of searching to find ethanol free in the Edmonton area. Shell province wide, Superstore in Edmonton and area, and Costco in Edmonton and area all offer ethanol free premium gas. As well, most Esso stations offer ethanol free premium. No one I have found offers standard or mid grade in ethanol free.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:53 PM

Guys I know this is an old thread. Who in 2018 now has ethanol free gas?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Guys I know this is an old thread. Who in 2018 now has ethanol free gas?
Shell premium.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Shell premium.
Does Shell have a separate pump for it ?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I can't really answer your question since every store is different but as with almost every gas station usually it is a pump with 2-3 options.

If you are worried about getting even the slightest bit of ethanol just put a liter or so in your vehicle first, that will get rid of any gas in the hose.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Just pump some in your vehicle then fill your small tank. Probably will start with regular anyways so most will be what you really need. Several litres of premium won't hurt unless you drive a diesel. Then find another vehicle. Do this all the time and never an issue with any of my toys and I have them all.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I can't really answer your question since every store is different but as with almost every gas station usually it is a pump with 2-3 options.

If you are worried about getting even the slightest bit of ethanol just put a liter or so in your vehicle first, that will get rid of any gas in the hose.
I recall someone on here that works on gas pumps said there is 6 to 7 litres of the previous purchase still in the hose. I usually put the first 10 litres in my truck and then fill my Jerry cans in hope that I am actually getting ethanol free gas.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I recall someone on here that works on gas pumps said there is 6 to 7 litres of the previous purchase still in the hose. I usually put the first 10 litres in my truck and then fill my Jerry cans in hope that I am actually getting ethanol free gas.
I've seen claims of half a liter including the following.

Quote:
"The hose and dispensing nozzle are always full of fuel," Shell says, adding that the residual volume in the hose from the last use depends on the diameter and length of the hose but is commonly about half a litre.
6-7 liters could lead to serious issues with say motorcycles and would also rip off premium users so I doubt that is the case.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 AM

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
This website is out of date.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM

According to their pumps, all Costco number 1 gas in Edmonton is Ethanol free, most Shell stations show their number 1 as Ethanol free, Superstore was Ethanol free on number 1 but don't know since they switched to Mobile as the owner of the stations. If you can find Marine grade number 1 Purple, common in BC, it is ethanol free.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM

The Coop premium mentioned in that ink is correct according to this.

http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/P...s-GASOLINE.pdf
Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
According to their pumps, all Costco number 1 gas in Edmonton is Ethanol free, most Shell stations show their number 1 as Ethanol free, Superstore was Ethanol free on number 1 but don't know since they switched to Mobile as the owner of the stations. If you can find Marine grade number 1 Purple, common in BC, it is ethanol free.
I would think given Mobile is part of Imperial Oil it would get it's gas from the Esso refinery which is ethanol free in the premium grade. Around Edmonton anyway.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Just called and Mobil/Esso supreme does not contain Ethanol. So The Old SuperStore stations should be fine.

Supreme plus in Ont does contain 10%EtOH.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Just called and Mobil/Esso supreme does not contain Ethanol. So The Old SuperStore stations should be fine.

Supreme plus in Ont does contain 10%EtOH.
Very good to know as both they and Costco are WAY cheaper for number 1 than Esso or Shell. Usually about 10 cents more than regular, rather than 20-30 cents like shell.

Also good to know mobile is Esso here too. Mobile is a real old name, one of the original Seven Sisters, you still see in the States, but they merged with Exon more than 20 years ago. I don't ever remember them having been in Canada. Guess it makes sense as the US name for Imperial Oil/Esso is ExonMobile and they own 70% of Imperial.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Shell and Esso cost more because they put in extra additives that they don't give to their competition.

If we are talking buying premium gas for a car then I would for sure look for the cheapest premium available as it is mainly the higher octane you need.

If we are talking premium for a 2 stroke engine like auger, outboard etc paying the little bit extra likely isn't a bad idea.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Shell and Esso cost more because they put in extra additives that they don't give to their competition.

If we are talking buying premium gas for a car then I would for sure look for the cheapest premium available as it is mainly the higher octane you need.

If we are talking premium for a 2 stroke engine like auger, outboard etc paying the little bit extra likely isn't a bad idea.Station Maintenance Good station operation and maintenance means the fuel is filtered and that contaminants such as sediment and water do not find their way into our members' vehicles. Costco gas stations are well-maintained so you may be confident that the gasoline going into your car is clean.

Costco uses fuel filters to catch particles or debris larger than 10 microns in diameter. For comparison, the average human hair is sixty microns thick.
Our attendants check the nozzle flow rate every week to assure that our filters are fresh. When the flow rate falls below 32 litres per minute, we change the filter.
Costco uses ethanol-compatible filters designed to catch sediment, water or phase-separated ethanol and water mixtures for locations that sell gasoline with ethanol.
Costco's electronic sensors continuously monitor our underground storage tanks for water.
We physically take samples and inspect our tanks at least weekly to confirm there is no contamination.
There is only one approved term for the best grade of fuel in Canada and the is "Top Tier". If you check Costco, Co-op etc their fuel qualifies for the "Top Tier" designation. Shell and Esso's claims to proprietary additives that only go in their branded fuel is not true. In fact when they started this about 15 years ago they were ordered by the competition bureau to provide the same fuel quality to all those they supply.

From Costco Website

Quote:
TYPES OF FUEL AND FUEL QUALITY
Is Costco Top Tier certified?
Yes both grades of gasoline sold at Costco meet and exceed Top Tier requirements. The owner's manuals provided by the following manufacturers recommend using Top Tier gasoline to maintain optimal engine performance. and efficiency.
BMW, including Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce
General Motors, including Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC
Honda, including Acura
Toyota, including Lexus and Scion
Volkswagen/Audi, including Porsche, Lamborghini and Bentley
Mercedes-Benz, including Smart
How does Costco assure that their gasoline is high quality?
There are two aspects of fuel quality that depend on the gasoline brand and the individual retailer; deposit control additive and station maintenance.
Deposit control additives
Federal regulations mandate that all gasoline contain CGSB-approved deposit control additive These additives are designed to minimize engine deposits that can affect vehicle performance and emissions. The various proprietary deposit control additive formulations are the main difference between brands of gasoline. All Costco gasoline, both regular and premium unleaded, contains deposit control additives. As of December 2014, all Costco gasoline meets and exceeds TOP TIER™ requirements . With five times the CGSB-required amount of additives in our gas, we are proud to call it Kirkland Signature™

Gasoline.Station Maintenance Good station operation and maintenance means the fuel is filtered and that contaminants such as sediment and water do not find their way into our members' vehicles. Costco gas stations are well-maintained so you may be confident that the gasoline going into your car is clean.

Costco uses fuel filters to catch particles or debris larger than 10 microns in diameter. For comparison, the average human hair is sixty microns thick.
Our attendants check the nozzle flow rate every week to assure that our filters are fresh. When the flow rate falls below 32 litres per minute, we change the filter.
Costco uses ethanol-compatible filters designed to catch sediment, water or phase-separated ethanol and water mixtures for locations that sell gasoline with ethanol.
Costco's electronic sensors continuously monitor our underground storage tanks for water.
We physically take samples and inspect our tanks at least weekly to confirm there is no contamination.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Superstores premium gas says no ethanol on pump
Old 03-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is only one approved term for the best grade of fuel in Canada and the is "Top Tier". If you check Costco, Co-op etc their fuel qualifies for the "Top Tier" designation. Shell and Esso's claims to proprietary additives that only go in their branded fuel is not true. In fact when they started this about 15 years ago they were ordered by the competition bureau to provide the same fuel quality to all those they supply.

From Costco Website
Top tier certification only means that the gas meets a minimum requirement, it in no way guarantees it is the best gas available.

Top tier certification is to do with the cleaning ability of the gas and that is why all grades of fuel usually meet this certification at the certified locations.

At some of these locations such as Costco you likely do not receive any extra cleaning agents when purchasing their premium fuel and likely are only paying for the higher octane.

Shell on the other hand does include more additives in their premium fuel and that is why they advertise it as such.

Quote:
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.
Quote:
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline exceeds the TOP TIER Gasoline Detergent Standard and is Top Tier certified.
At 7 times that means there is 40% more cleaning agent in shell premium then Costco premium(5 times according to what you posted). As I mentioned it is definitely worth considering especially in small engines that use very little fuel.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Top tier certification only means that the gas meets a minimum requirement, it in no way guarantees it is the best gas available.

Top tier certification is to do with the cleaning ability of the gas and that is why all grades of fuel usually meet this certification at the certified locations.

At some of these locations such as Costco you likely do not receive any extra cleaning agents when purchasing their premium fuel and likely are only paying for the higher octane.

Shell on the other hand does include more additives in their premium fuel and that is why they advertise it as such.

At 7 times that means there is 40% more cleaning agent in shell premium then Costco premium(5 times according to what you posted). As I mentioned it is definitely worth considering especially in small engines that use very little fuel.
Cool info. Good to know, thanks for taking the time to post this and educate. It really gets hard to tell marketing foam from real news but this helps a lot in this case.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:29 PM

I never worry about ethanol / alcohol . I add it to my tanks to make sure I don't have lines ice up in winter.

When I raced sleds I ran 3 1/2 gal alcohol with 1 1/2 gal 160 Av gas and 50/1 mix oil . 2 strokes liked that mix and I never had any issues with carbs, lines etc. What was left over from a race went in the truck so it didn't go stale between race days. The truck seemed to run good with it too.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM

MY snowblower dealer advises as many as ten litres of premium in my truck in order to drain the hose of any residual ethanol.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 AM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle14041436/

I checked a number of sources and most were in the 1/2 litre range, which makes more sense to me.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:26 AM

I believe the biggest problem with ethanol is for any length of storage in the tank. It’ll blend with water condensation and fall to the bottom of the tank. Then what happens is a mixture of ethanol/water running through the line and not the all important two stroke oil/gas. Can be very bad for the engine from what I’ve been reading.

Not an expert just regurgitating research in the midst of fears that I had condensation in my tank. I always use shell premium though so I’m hoping I’m okay.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Read on a Shell site about 6 months ago that the fuel for the different octane was blended at the pump and it took a certain amount before 91 octane was achieved. Tried to find it quick but don't see it. If anyone else has read it maybe they could post a link?