Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Bear dens

I am in the cold lake area and see a lot of bears, I do not see a lot of caves or what I think of as good winter hold up areas. Where do these bears hold up for winter? Any pics of dens?

Ty
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM

There was a video on here last year of a grizzly digging up a sow black bear with cubs and the grizzly killing one of the bears. What surprised me was the black bears had a shallow den in the pushed up debris next to a road.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 AM

They don’t need a very big hole to hibernate in. I usually find them on a dry hillside, river valleys and lake shores are good spots.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM

On more than one occasion a culvert has become a bears den.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Sometimes they den in slash piles even
Old 10-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the information, I will now have more to look for. I dont hunt them, as I dont eat them. I was just curious.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:15 PM

I saw one in a Beaver dam on a slough bank.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 PM

I’d assume blow downs that pull the root ball and create a hole would be places to look too.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I saw one in a Beaver dam on a slough bank.
One has to wonder , how many don't make it through the winter ?

Grizz
Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I recall crawling into a bear den when I was around 12 years old.

I was surprised at how small the opening was and even more surprised at how little room there was inside, even for a skinny 12 year old kid.

Since then, I've found a number of dens, some even occupied. All were on side hills, mostly north facing or close to north facing.
And three times I've found bears denned in culverts. And know of one other.

I'm told, and have seen evidence that culverts are a death trap for bears. They do not offer enough protection from the cold and Bears that den in culverts often do not make it through winter.
As a highway maintenance worker, there was nothing worse then a frozen bear blocking a culvert during spring runoff. We had to crawl in and rig a chain on it and try to drag it out, often a next to impossible task.

Logic suggests to me that a bear den would have a huge opening, experience says otherwise. I've seen 250 pound bears crawl into den openings no bigger then a badger hole.
In fact it can be hard to know if one is looking at a bear den opening or a Wolf den. Could well be that Wolves, Coyote and Bear use dens made by one of the other two species.

I haven't seen it but the mention of bears denning under brush piles seems to be correct. When I worked in the oilfield more then one cat skinner reported rolling a bear out of it's nest in a brush pile and my dad claimed that only sows and young boars den. He claimed that the older males usually just make a nest under a blow down or brush pile.
I never had any reason to doubt dad's knowledge of all things wild. The man learned to trap before steel traps became widely available. His early trapping was done with snares and dead fall traps.
When I was born he had already been trapping for nearly forty years.
Dad was born October 10 1908.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 PM

I haven't seen it but the mention of bears denning under brush piles seems to be correct.

I've heard solid stories of farmers setting fire to a brush pile to have a sleepy bruin make a run for it.

Grizz
Old 10-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Default bear den

Few years back a bear went through window of trappers cabin, drug some grass and leaves and piled them on his bed. The trapper came shot him and dragged him out by his feet. he said "Bear was not paying rent or helping with the chores" so he just shot him.