Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Best IPhone/smart phone cases?

I’ve used the Otterbox Defender series for years with good success but they do fill with dust and dirt. I put a Lifeproof case on my last phone and after two years it’s in pretty rough shape. With the IPhone 8 I’m more worried about dust and impact resistance, than it being waterproof.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a case that they like? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-12-2019, 03:39 PM

I too run the Lifeproof cases. I've had them fail over time but their warranty is top notch. Get on their website and get the details, send them an email of where things are going wrong and you will have a brand new one in the mail within a couple weeks....no questions asked.
I've been a fan since I want to keep my phone dry while fishing or doing general outdoor activities. I'm also a fan of the Otter Box, but I prefer the Lifeproof case due to it's more slender size. It seems with the size of new phones getting bigger and bigger, you look like you have a box of chocolates in your pocket some days.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:46 PM

I had a Lifeproof when I first bought my IPhone X. Lasted 3 weeks and I threw it in the garbage and bought the Otter Box. The Lifeproof case no one could hear me talk it muffled the speakers too much. Only way I could talk to someone was on Bluetooth or speaker phone. Tried to return it but they wouldn’t take it back unless it was a defective case. Ran Lifeproof with some older models of IPhone and never had this issue with muffling.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:38 PM

I have Seacosmo case pretty sure it could stop a bullet downside is it weighs more than the phone. I haven't tried the waterproof angle but I've dropped it a couple times with no damage, on sale at Bestbuy

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-duty/12346845
Old 10-12-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have Seacosmo case pretty sure it could stop a bullet downside is it weighs more than the phone. I haven't tried the waterproof angle but I've dropped it a couple times with no damage, on sale at Bestbuy

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-duty/12346845
What phone do you have it on and can people hear you when you are talking to them?
Old 10-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Banned

I've been running LifeProof since the time iPhone 5 came out and have never looked back. After two years any case will look rough but at least LifeProof will stand behind them. I have good faith in their impact resistance as well. 80-90kmh and the phone went for a tumble. Obviously the case was destroyed but only a little scratch on the phone. And they warrantied the case too.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
What phone do you have it on and can people hear you when you are talking to them?
I have it on a Iphone 6 I removed the case after a year the phone is pristine not a peck of dust dropped it 4 feet on cement a couple times, tubbled off my quad into the mud with no damage. I have no trouble hearing the phone or any rings I'm impressed with this case like I said before only downside is the weight.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I've been running LifeProof since the time iPhone 5 came out and have never looked back. After two years any case will look rough but at least LifeProof will stand behind them. I have good faith in their impact resistance as well. 80-90kmh and the phone went for a tumble. Obviously the case was destroyed but only a little scratch on the phone. And they warrantied the case too.
Otterbox doesn’t show near the wear as my Lifeproof case.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Banned

I had the original styles of otter box. While they may have lasted longer as a whole, the rubber on mine was always a mess.

The impact resistance is pretty darn good on the Lifeproof but the biggest reason I use them is the waterproof part. Not so much because they’re claimed as waterproof (which they are pretty good at to) because a lot of newer phones are resistant past the point I need. For me, with waterproof also means dust and debris. Keeping crap out of the speakers is alway a big plus that I could never get with Otterbox.

To each their own but I know where I’d put my money.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 PM

Lifeproof. Eventually the case will look how you play or work after a couple years but inside the phone stays mint. And yes the warranty is great
Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 AM

I think we are using Atex at work, they are IS rated. Obviously keep the dust and dirt out but they are very expensive.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM

I went thru a few Lifeproof cases. I liked them and needed the dust/moisture protection at the time, but they never lasted as long as I thought they should. Now that I no longer need the dirt/water protection of a LP case, I use whatever Magpul I can find on sale. I like them, good shock protection and slip into pockets easier than the LP or Otterbox cases.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Work makes me carry a phone (and they provide it too) and I had an iPhone SE for, oh, 5 years or more and just got it replaced last week with an iPhone XR.

I had an Otterbox case (and holster) on my SE, that phone looked brand new when I pulled it out of the case last week and reset it before turning it in. I can't tell you how many times that phone hit the floor/ground but I can assure you, it was lots! So I'm a fan of the Otterbox cases for sure.

I had the boss order me an Otterbox 'Defender' for this phone. One thing I really like about the Otterbox is until they stopped making that style iPhone, I could go to my local Telus store and get a replacement holster/case for free. Once they discontinued that style, I could still get the holster/case from Otterbox and all I (well, the company) had to pay was shipping.......about $6-7
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM

What I don't like about Otterbox is that they don't have a screen protector on their cases anymore. I have a Unicorn Beetle on my S9 and it is a great case. Got on Amazon for very reasonable cash.

BH

Old 10-17-2019, 12:53 PM

I have used life proof. When it starts to show wear, get a new one on warranty. For $5 shipping they will send you a new one.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 PM

I had a heavy-duty Griffin on a previous iPhone and it worked well, I think it was the Armor series IIRC? I'm not that pleased with my newer Otterbox Defender on my IPhone 7 as it does have spots water can get in and then with water between the screen and the protector the touchscreen ceases working. Definitely not ideal for a plumber. An older Defender on an iPhone 4 didn't have this problem

I was interested to see that Pelican makes phone cases, and we all know they make good equipment & firearm cases, those may be worth a look? London Drugs can be a good place to look, that's where I got my Griffin Armor series.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

Used by military and LE https://www.urbanarmorgear.com/?gcli...UaAmzzEALw_wcB
I've used them for years now and have had no issues.