Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Default Why you like hunting

I was thinking today about hunting and my trip this weekend.

I'm looking forward to exploring and checking my new camera locations.
This season, I'm also looking forward to showing a friend who wants to get into hunting how to butcher and process a deer after the hunt.

As there is with hunting, there is so many different parts to enjoy.

Which do you part do you enjoy the most?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:56 PM

The solitude
Old 10-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

The challenge of finding the “one” not just filling a tag always looking for that one animal who has something different then the rest some form of different characteristics. Exploring new ground and taking others out for elk
Old 10-11-2019, 06:12 PM

The challenge of coming up with a plan to beat the superior senses of animal and I like wild meat far more then beef, chicken, and pork
Old 10-11-2019, 06:18 PM

The preparation is a pain in the ///. But... It's the thrill of competing with mother nature.The smells,sights sounds, and feelings one gets in nature. The stalk,the ever changing adaptions we make. Finally the success. Sadly the funny part is the success. Awesome feeling for the getting of the game.Sadly it means the season and thrill is over. G.D. I truely miss hunting and fishing because of my health. Make sure you enjoy it A.O members!!!

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Just that feeling you get that this is where you’re supposed to be. Something primal about it. There’s that sense of realness and real life in our very often not so real world.
That and I really enjoy taking out and introducing new people to hunting.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 PM

the views
Old 10-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Where to start!?

I love the challenge and being out in nature. Spending good quality time with my wife or kids when they can come along.

Seeing things most people don't get to see. (views, deer fighting up close ect.)
The challenge of using all types of strategy to fool the big animals.
Sitting down to a meal of home grown vegetables with fresh wild meat.
Even just the planning, scouting and ideas.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Banned

The knowledge that the animal protein which I consume was procured by me, through my efforts.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I don’t chase game any more but I hunt fish in our streams and rivers.

It’s the excitement of getting ready the anticipation of the trip. Getting up at 3:30 in the morning. The moon light or even the pitch black mornings. The smell of hot black coffee. Waking up the dog now that she’s older. Picking up my fishing partner the banter on the drive out the laugh the reminiscing of past trips. Taking in the sunrise and sunset at the end of the day. If it’s a day trip the drive home in the dark. The rehash of the days events making plans for next time.

If we’re camping out. It’s the set up of the camp. Prepping and cooking the meals. Building the fire telling the same old stories of trips past. Time with my dog where she can be a dog. No leash no fence no gates.

Trips a field mean a lot to me

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 10-11-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 PM

I mostly bird hunt now (grouse) ,it's the social aspect ,spending the day out with hunting buddies .Miss a few birds and have a few laughs
Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The challenge of coming up with a plan to beat the superior senses of animal and I like wild meat far more then beef, chicken, and pork.
X2

I grew up hunting thick timber for Blacktails. I got great satisfaction in out-fooling them in their own house. With Blacktail hunting in Alberta being about as productive as salmon fishing I’ve moved on to other critters. I’m not so sure I’ve out-fooled anything I’ve hunted the last 8 years in Alberta but I’ve been pretty lucky on more than one occasion...
Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 PM

The quiet. Sunrise & set through dried falling leaves. Sunup with a porcupine waddling across a clearing. Saddling in the dark so we can cross the river by moonlight. Sun glancing & flashing off antlers as two bull elk duke it out on a hillside to win the girl's favor. WT buck snort when he smells you but can't locate. Big dumb ears on a Mulie when he's got you busted but isn't sure what you are. Could go on & on. Great thread!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just feeling part of nature.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM

I ask myself this question every fall.

Usually as I crawl out of a warm sleeping bag and slide my feet into ice cold boots.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:23 AM

All of the above.
Walking in the snow, deciding to let that one live another day. The family participation. Daughter taking time from high school studies to help butcher, wife looking up new recipes.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Used to be all about the horn ,being a guide for so many years. now the older I get it's just more about going for a walk with the 410 to shoot a grouse. To hunt a few days for Elk and rattle a few days for Whitetail now, I'd rather see the guys I bring up to my cabin have a good hunt Happy Thanksgiving

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2019, 10:06 AM

The whole experience, initial preparation of equipment, setting up tent camp on nice foothills river, scouting the area, tracking moose or elk in the snow, outwitting a smart bull, less happy hauling moose or elk 10 km, having few shots rye with boys in warm tent/cabin and good steak for supper.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Basically every year I want the same 3 things. I want adventure, I want to discover, and I want some meat.

I think its more important than many think, to understand what you are actually after. Then your hunts can be tailored to maximise what is important. For me running trail cams and sitting on hay fields is a waste of time, it accomplishes none of my goals very well. To someone who very sorely wants a B&C deer every year, doing things my way would be a waste of time.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM

For me it’s a lot about the quality of meat, and the never knowing what you will see or when you will see it. It’s learning new areas, exploring, getting to see and appreciate different beauty, almost unique to every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2019, 09:28 PM

I simply like being out and sneaking in the bush in a predatory mode , it's one reason I am a hard core still hunter!

I am not as stealthy hunting big game as I used to be when I trapped and guided mind you, but I still enjoy it immensely.
Working with the dogs chasing upland is not so much about predation for me as watching the dogs work, and shooting various guns .

This fall I have already taking a deer still hunting, but later on I will do something I have never actually done before, that is hunt out of a box blind!

it will be interesting for sure!
Cat
Old 10-13-2019, 12:18 AM

Good company
Planning/scheming
Exploring Alberta
Break from daily life grind/annoyances
Building character
Sharing traditions
Meeting friendly folks in the woods
Wilderness views/smells
Hours of favourite alternative/classic rock
Time slowing down
Self reflection
Renewed appreciation
4x4 driving challenges (this can also be a bad white knuckle part!)
Last great adventure a person can have

Hmm... should I go on?

Season’s greetings all!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Shooting guns, hiking up mountains, connecting with family, riding ATVs, backcountry camping, solitude, meeting new folks, and learning to see the world through the eyes of animals.

What's not to like?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Simply doing a very natural thing gives me a sense of purpose that makes me very content.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:56 PM

because I like to eat meat that is expensive !
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 PM

The planning. The anticipation. Being apart of all of my sons new experiences and accomplishments. The quiet. When the woods come alive early morning. All of it.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 PM

This year was the first year in 36 years of hunting to see two bucks sparring!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 AM

I like being out in nature, and watching the animals. I also like sharing the experience with good friends, which is why I enjoy taking new hunters out as much as hunting myself. I especially enjoy upland hunting, as I enjoy watching my dog work birds. What has changed over the years, is that when I first started hunting, harvesting an animal was much more of a priority, but these days, it is one of the least import parts of a successful hunt.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Default Why you like hunting

I like being out with family and friends, and to be able to experiance the excitement of being with a beginner hunter as they get to start their hunting careers. I love being around nature and wildlife, and after 50 years of doing it, it’s the little things that I enjoy the most. Like sitting in a blind and having chickadees all around me, or having a weasel come for a visit. Killing an animal is way down on my list of priorities now, and I get more enjoyment out of just watching them go about their daily routines. Best of luck to everyone this hunting season. Shoot straight and be safe.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Hunting

I dont really know why,its just a way of life---At one point I lived in the woods for 6 year,alone with my dogs.It was ok.Shot game from my front porch.trapped.Burnt wood.Guided in remote hunting camps--Roaming alone for days weeks,looking for good hunting sites--Yes never hurt at all---