Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Default This Mornings Goose Hunt

Despite the fact that half of our geese from last night, moved to the next field which was combined yesterday, we had a good shoot. We had a young man on his first ever goose hunt, and I was very impressed with his shot selection, and his ability to kill geese. He used a borrowed gun, and he definitely held his own. Both he and I used low priced 3" loads, and the next blind was using 3-1/2" Hevi Metal, and the high dollar 3-1/2' loads didn't kill any more geese. and didn't make the longest kills.

Last edited by sns2; 10-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 PM

WOW! looks like you did have a great hunt!!! Even in the wind we are having!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
WOW! looks like you did have a great hunt!!! Even in the wind we are having!
The wind was a blessing after two hunts with no wind. The lessers and specs were still wary, but the big Canadas finished nicely
Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Good show, guys.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-05-2019, 03:21 PM

The highlight was having eight big Canadas come in, four of us opened fire, and all eight hit the ground. We somehow managed to not shoot the same birds, and two of us each had a round left when the shooting stopped. I have never seen that happen before.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The highlight was having eight big Canadas come in, four of us opened fire, and all eight hit the ground. We somehow managed to not shoot the same birds, and two of us each had a round left when the shooting stopped. I have never seen that happen before.
And I was a walking like a fool a mile away trying to scare birds off another section. Oh my. When will I learn to say no to silly requests??? Soon as I heard the shooting I thought, "Old fool, why are you wandering around like a scarecrow, instead of on your blind chair?"
Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Big congrats boys! Pat for the course bud on being the dog guy. Ever notice how everyone’s else’s hands are clean. Great pics of chief. Handsome boy
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I have only ever tripled 1 time on honkers, and yell out I got 3 and my partner also claims he got 3, surely one of us shot the same bird, Nope, both of us tripled.......lol
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Congrats on a great hunt.Its always fun when you take someone new and they kick some butt.That is a nice harvest of birds as well.Thanks for posting and best of luck next time out.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I have only ever tripled 1 time on honkers, and yell out I got 3 and my partner also claims he got 3, surely one of us shot the same bird, Nope, both of us tripled.......lol
Isn't it funny than when you add up the number of birds everyone thought they killed, and compare it to the number of birds on the ground, the numbers rarely add up.

The flock of eight, was one of those times that I killed two birds and when I looked for another bird for my third shot, the sky was empty. That usually only happens when a few birds come in, not eight.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:34 PM

Congrats nice Job
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 PM

That's am action-packed morning, good friends & the hound top it off. Congrats!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-12-2019, 12:25 PM

The morning started with hundreds of mallards and pintails buzzing our spread, then the lesser Canadas were very wary. Then the smaller flocks of greater Canadas showed up, and we had our limit of 24 in around 30 minutes. Luckily I had a spare gun along, our new hunter had some issues with his new/used shotgun.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-12-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Another good morning in the field, we limited on specs, then had to pick out the lesser Canadas.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Awesome job. Great looking dog to.
Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4035365]Both he and I used low priced 3" loads, and the next blind was using 3-1/2" Hevi Metal, and the high dollar 3-1/2' loads didn't kill any more geese. and didn't make the longest kills.[/]

Neither the number of geese killed nor the distance at which a goose can be cleanly killed can be increased by buying longer or more expensive shotgun shells.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=ABDUKNUT;4042512]
Quote:
Both he and I used low priced 3" loads, and the next blind was using 3-1/2" Hevi Metal, and the high dollar 3-1/2' loads didn't kill any more geese. and didn't make the longest kills.[/]

Neither the number of geese killed nor the distance at which a goose can be cleanly killed can be increased by buying longer or more expensive shotgun shells.
All these pics you see... I was there. I buy whatever is in sale, typically Winchester Super X, and will never pay over $20 a box. There is just no reason for it in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 AM

Yeah, I normally wouldn't buy 3.5", but a buddy sold his 3.5" gun and had a ton of 3.5" ammo--he paid $50/box--sold them to me for $18/box. 3.5" or not, I'll take that deal all day long. Plus it gave you guys something to chuckle about if I missed a shot.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:03 AM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Chief is a UNIT!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Absolutely crazy hunt this morning, Six specs came in at legal time, none left. We had our limit of 15 specs in under ten minutes, with 17 shots. We picked out 9 Canadas to finish our limits within thirty minutes, then we shot ducks. We had seven or eight flocks of specs land in the decoys as we waited for Canadas and ducks. Geese were walking around in the decoys within six feet of our blinds. We could have easily shot 100 geese.

The field last night. And even more birds showed this morning.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM

Nothing quite as exciting as geese or ducks coming into a well planned set of dekes. Man I miss those days. Most fun I ever had hunting was waterfowl. Maybe next year.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Great hunt! I'm jealous.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Funny how the specks will cooperate when they know they won't get shot at, had more than a few of those kinds of mornings. So much nicer when a few 4-6 paks come early.Almost, also, always seems to be on a morning when you have a heck of a time picking out honkers, sometimes even snows, in amongst the specks, until they are right on you. They either come in silent, or you can't pick out colours til they turn. Have to wait till the last second and then hope you can verify them and get on them fast enough. Plenty of times we are not fast enough.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Funny how the specks will cooperate when they know they won't get shot at, had more than a few of those kinds of mornings. So much nicer when a few 4-6 paks come early.Almost, also, always seems to be on a morning when you have a heck of a time picking out honkers, sometimes even snows, in amongst the specks, until they are right on you. They either come in silent, or you can't pick out colours til they turn. Have to wait till the last second and then hope you can verify them and get on them fast enough. Plenty of times we are not fast enough.
We were limited Saturday as well, and some snows came in with one flock of specs. We weren't fast enough.:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Neither the number of geese killed nor the distance at which a goose can be cleanly killed can be increased by buying longer or more expensive shotgun shells.[/QUOTE]

That's not completely true, shooting heavier density shells like tungsten or bismuth will give you a higher energy at a longer range. That doesn't mean your gonna kill more though, that all depends on the shooter. Add in times where you kill a bird with one shot instead of needing two shells and you can kill more birds hypothetically. I still buy cheap shells that are on sale though as its too expensive to spend that kind of money on shells for the amount of shooting that I do
Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
That's not completely true, shooting heavier density shells like tungsten or bismuth will give you a higher energy at a longer range. That doesn't mean your gonna kill more though, that all depends on the shooter. Add in times where you kill a bird with one shot instead of needing two shells and you can kill more birds hypothetically. I still buy cheap shells that are on sale though as its too expensive to spend that kind of money on shells for the amount of shooting that I do[/QUOTE]

Only cuz I hunt with Elk, I am pretty sure he was referring to steel shot. Dang those designer shotshells you mention can get expensive.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
That's not completely true, shooting heavier density shells like tungsten or bismuth will give you a higher energy at a longer range. That doesn't mean your gonna kill more though, that all depends on the shooter. Add in times where you kill a bird with one shot instead of needing two shells and you can kill more birds hypothetically. I still buy cheap shells that are on sale though as its too expensive to spend that kind of money on shells for the amount of shooting that I do
Only cuz I hunt with Elk, I am pretty sure he was referring to steel shot. Dang those designer shotshells you mention can get expensive.[/QUOTE]

All tungsten or Bismuth loads will provide a bit more range , or will let you use a size smaller shot for a denser pattern, but the cost is extreme. And if you are going to kill birds farther with those loads, you still need to place the pattern on them, so instead of spending three times as much on ammunition, you would likely be farther ahead to spend the extra cash on shooting skeet or sporting clays .
Old 10-25-2019, 12:52 PM

After failing to find a worthwhile hunt for tomorrow, and seeing very few geese out feeding, we are calling it a season. At an average of four hunters per hunt, and eight hunts, we ended up taking 211 geese this fall, so a good season for our group.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:30 PM

We still have like 7 weeks remaining
Just getting warmed up
Old 10-25-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
We still have like 7 weeks remaining
Just getting warmed up
It would take a lot of global warming for us to have geese around here in numbers for seven more weeks.