Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Default .22 options for daughter

Well xmas will be here shortly and I think we're going to get our 12 year old girl her own .22 rifle. I like the idea of a bolt action so she can learn the functions and get some muscle memory. The problem is I tried her on an old cooey bolt action and she was having issues with it. Now this action was in no way smooth. More like frozen butter, or dried cheese? Now she shoots the 10/22 all day long and has a blast doing so.

Without breaking the bank is there a smooth bolt action you guys would suggest? Even higher end used? Or will a bolt action ruin the fun of it? It is fun popping off 10 rounds in a row at a watermelon. I'd like to keep it under $500. Maybe I should just hand her down my 10/22?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Savage has a bunch of models that have proven to be good shooters for me
Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

should be able to get into a used cz/brno for that kind of money.......might be a little big, but sure won't take her long to grow into it and it will last her the rest of her life.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM

I went with the RUGER AMERICAN® RIMFIRE COMPACT

https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ct/models.html
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM

You may want to go lever action. Fun to shoot and easy action.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 PM

I love lovers. Definitely fun to shoot. I'm not sure she could shoot one all day tho. I may try a semi auto for now, and in a couple of years, step her up to a more quality bolt or lever action of a better quality. And possibly bigger caliber.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Banned

The Remington 597, in my eyes, is better than the 10/22. There was some problems with the first round of magazines many years ago but the current crop is way better. The last shot bold hold open is something that is a huge plus to me. The biggest downside is the aftermarket support, or lack there of. That’s where the 10/22 really shines as you can build one without using a single “Ruger” part.

As for bolt actions, the Savage MKII series will fit the bill. They aren’t a CZ by any means but they are pretty accurate. And they come in a wide variety of models and cartridge options as well.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Well xmas will be here shortly and I think we're going to get our 12 year old girl her own .22 rifle. I like the idea of a bolt action so she can learn the functions and get some muscle memory. The problem is I tried her on an old cooey bolt action and she was having issues with it. Now this action was in no way smooth. More like frozen butter, or dried cheese? Now she shoots the 10/22 all day long and has a blast doing so.

Without breaking the bank is there a smooth bolt action you guys would suggest? Even higher end used? Or will a bolt action ruin the fun of it? It is fun popping off 10 rounds in a row at a watermelon. I'd like to keep it under $500. Maybe I should just hand her down my 10/22?
https://store.prophetriver.com/cz-22...5-s-n-c682199/
Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM

CZ 452 / 455
Quality rimfire there are often ones showing up on canadian gun nuts for 450-550 range. If your at the top of price range I have a scope I would donate to the cause.
I wish my first rimfire was a higher quality rifle.
Brad
Old 10-05-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Nice find!
Old 10-05-2019, 09:39 PM

A lever would be something different and you could get into a 22mag if you want it something a bit different/special for your daughter.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 AM

I bought my nephew his first 22, I got him a Henry lever. They are nice little 22's for starting off, fun to shoot and very accurate. Around $400.00.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:18 AM

Chipmunk 22
Or
TC Hot shot
Or
CZ
Or
Ruger

Do not whatsoever get a kid a semiauto for there first firearm or any firearm until they are old enough to buy their own if that’s what they really want.

My two kids have chipmunks and I still have my chipmunk from 25 years ago.
My daughter now has browning T bolt for when she fits into the gun. L.O.P. Is important for people to learn properly.

Last edited by raw outdoors; 10-06-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I may look into that cz scout bolt action. A bolt action is what I initially wanted. I want her to learn, as she's having fun shooting targets. And yes you're right, she can save her money to buy a semi auto down the road when she can afford all the ammo it will go through.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 AM

I love the idea of a lever gun but my concern is her smaller frame, she might not have the body mass to keep "slapping" the action open and closed for a whole afternoon. I bought her a daisy bb gun a couple years ago that I had to operate for her. I know a new Henry wouldn't take as much force as pumping air into the bb gun took, but it still concerns me that she'd have issues with it.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:45 AM

Try it and see.

If you bother to post your general location you may find someone that would be willing to loan you one for the exercise.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
We have a winner. Excellent size for a kid. Good accuracy. Single shot adapter available if wanted.

And, as a bonus feature, you'll have no trouble selling it for a good price when it's time to get an adult size gun.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 PM

My boys and mentee's love my Rem 597 semi
https://www.cabelas.ca/search?q=Remi...+Rifle+Package

easy to shoot n very accurate

extra's is a 30 magazine

rabbit's / grouse / gophers / targets

fun fun fun

here is a mentee n her son

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22LR.jpg (70.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-06-2019, 11:25 PM

Our daughter has been using a Savage 22/410 since she was 11. She’s 13 now and has a beautiful Browning 12 gauge that she’s grown into. She still prefers the Savage. I like the Savage as well. It’s a little smaller and fairly light weight
so less fatigue after a day of shooting.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Huge +1 for the cz 455 scout....both my daughters (currently 12 and 14 years old) enjoy their 455 scouts. We’ve also had the Ruger American compact .22, they are nice but not as nice as the cz guns IMHO.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Brobee
Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
Our daughter has been using a Savage 22/410 since she was 11. She’s 13 now and has a beautiful Browning 12 gauge that she’s grown into. She still prefers the Savage. I like the Savage as well. It’s a little smaller and fairly light weight
so less fatigue after a day of shooting.
Maybe next year she'll get a 410. She does have fun watching us shoot the 12 gauge. She pulls the string on the launcher.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:57 PM

So if you guys check out the link for the cz scout, you'll see the link is no longer available. Last night we purchased the rifle. Shipping says it will be here on Thursday. I think I might be more excited than anyone at this point. I might have to "test" it out a few times... as long as I clean it before xmas lol.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I had lots of great suggestions. And I'm sure we'll be happy with our choice. I want to give a special thanks to bsmitty27 for donating a scope to the cause!!! With tax and shipping, we blew past our max budget by about $115. But budgets are like rules.. made to be broken right?!?! Lol.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 AM

That is awesome!

My last suggestion would be for you to consider not waiting until Xmas....if she is keen now and there are some good weather windows, I’d hit the range as soon as possible!

Time like this with with your munchkins is priceless, irreplaceable, and in dwindling supply.

Maybe she takes the Alberta hunter education course so she can find out how awesome ruffed grouse chicken fingers are...

Cheers,

Brobee
Ps: the gun ships with the single shot adapter, but no 5 round magazine. Pm me your address and I will get a magazine in the mail for you.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Dang thanks Brobee!! PM sent!

She uses the boss's 10/22 so I'm sure we'll still get some shooting in this year. Just started putting xmas lists together. I'm more of a last minute kind of guy lol but the boss likes to be more prepared. And she usually wins...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Checked the post office today and the rifle showed up. What a little beauty. This is our first cz rifle. The safety will take some getting used to. They could have cut the box in half lengthwise and it would probably still fit lol. I'm definitely happy with our decision. We had 2 packages actually. The scope that bsmitty27 sent showed up today too and we couldn't be happier. Thanks again!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191010_182756.jpg (16.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191010-182219_Gallery.jpg (29.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191010-182337_Gallery.jpg (24.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-29-2019, 10:43 PM

CZ scout..Little more money but worth it..Slight hogg back stock so will fit a female shooter better..Same action, barrel as the CZ 455...just in a smaller, lighter, handyer action for the smaller framed shooter...The can be Found used but not very often...Good luck.

LOL just read your last post...great choice...Guess I need to read all the posts.

PS do buy the single shot adapter.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:47 PM

CZ 455 Camp has an adjustable length of pull that can grow with her and a peep site. It is around 650 though. I held one at Proline Shooters a couple years ago. Kinda wish I had bought it instead of my 452 Lux as my daughter could now have it fit her as the Lux is not great for her.