Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Surreal day at the gun range today

Arrived at a the range today at first light as I had a rifle to set up and one to tweak( set up was for a buddy) As we pulled in and were getting ready to park... a cow and calf moose trot out at about 90 yrds. We proceeded to unload the truck and watch as they meandered on the range for about 20 mins.
First move in my buddy’s set up was find out how much left and fight on his new scope. 185 clicks one way... 15 the other. He had been shooting the other day and said he managed to get a decent group at about 100.
Now as I looked down at the scope on the rifle you could see it was nowhere near in alignment. We centered the clicks 100 a side and then put cross hairs on target at 100, removed bolt and looked down barrel...14 inches off. Adjusted windage... shot... adjusted.... shot ... tweaked .... shot... voila. Shooting straight 100 , 200, 300. Dialed in. Now as were getting ready to shoot some more 300... out pop 2 bobcats ... big and beautiful, one walks across lane, the other stops at the target board and proceeds to sniff around for a minute or two. It was something to see. I will also add that as I went to the little boys room... flushed a ruffie as well.
We both left with rifles ready for the season and a memory at the range not soon to be topped.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Love posts like this. It is half of what keeps me interested on these forums.

Great post! Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Super cool.

I had this happen a few years ago in Fort McMurray during the winter

Cow moose and calf bed down in the skeet field in a foot of snow.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM

I love when this happens. A couple years ago at the range I was testing some loads and sighting in some rifles, nice crisp fall morning, I was the only one there. I heard a noise to the right of the benches and watched as a black bear peeked around the corner at me. The bear was very curious and was looking and walking around the bench area for a few minutes before it decided to walk down range and then into the bush.