Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Banned

Default Regulations on types of bait

Are there any regulations on types of bait you can use or not? Was told today that you can't use dead pigs from farmers in a bait pile but I can not find this anywhere in the regulations. I can see this if it were on Public lands and an RMFA but not private land.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
Are there any regulations on types of bait you can use or not? Was told today that you can't use dead pigs from farmers in a bait pile but I can not find this anywhere in the regulations. I can see this if it were on Public lands and an RMFA but not private land.
Check out page 56 of the 2019 Hunting Regs. In there they state " any livestock dying other than through proper slaughter for human consumption must be disposed of in a prescribed ways and not used for baiting bears " This is just a partial quote the rest of page has additional info. Hope this helps you some
Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Check out page 56 of the 2019 Hunting Regs. In there they state " any livestock dying other than through proper slaughter for human consumption must be disposed of in a prescribed ways and not used for baiting bears " This is just a partial quote the rest of page has additional info. Hope this helps you some
Thanks. I saw that part but I am not baiting bears nor in a bear season. Just have some contacts for pigs for use on private land. I was told it was illegal but I can not see where and have checked all the regulations.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 PM

It may not be only in the hunting regs. There are also livestock disposal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Banned

It seems odd to me that it would be illegal to use as bait on private property. It’s perfectly legal to “naturally dispose” of livestock for other animals to scavenge from as long as it hasn’t died of a disease. My understanding is that if a healthy cow breaks its leg and has to be put down, it goes right to the dead pit. If it dies from pneumonia or some other unknown reason, the head needs to be tested before the carcass can be disposed of in the dead pit. Maybe the pig farm is sending everything to a rendering plant and not bothering to get the heads checked........therefore making them illegal to dispose of naturally.

If you find a definitive answer I’d be interested to know.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Bait

I know F & W do not like us trappers to use road kill deer or elk from area of Alberta not near our traplines as concern for disease spread like CWD. Also biologists do not use dead livestock for wolf control, they insist on shooting moose and elk for bait as less work than moving livestock and road kill animals.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 AM

thats weird, because the last 2 years here I have called F&W and they have issued me a permit to pick up road kill for baiting my coyotes....
Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
thats weird, because the last 2 years here I have called F&W and they have issued me a permit to pick up road kill for baiting my coyotes....
Yes the permit is easy to get, but you're not suppose to transport the animal to far, too risky to introduce disease. For example: do not pick up road kill from a CWD area, and use it as bait in another WMU.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Bait

Most F & W want you to only use road kill in same WMU you picked it up for trapping bait.