Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Hoping to get started on hunting.

Hi, I have been very interested in hunting for the past to years and i've watched countless hours of hunting footage and read magazines and been reading many of the very interesting posts on this forum.

So I decided that maybe I should get into hunting.. So i asked my father (seeing as im only fifteen) about it and he said i should star now.
He hunted many years ago but didn't think his advice would be of much help and none of my friends or family hunt...

So how do i get into hunting.... I plan to sign up for the online AHEIA course and course within the week. But where do i go from there. Am i old enough to get a hunting License? Do i need any other licences?

I have lots of outdoors experience and spend lots of time hiking and mountain biking throughout the summer. But... i have never shot a gun.. I don't know if thats a problem either...

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 AM

get your course done, get a win card, you are lucky you can get youth tags for for alot cheaper than you'll pay once you hit 18.
most fish & game clubs are sending kids to camps this summer that would help but your running out of time on that, but go to a meeting or 2 and sombody will show you the ropes like going to a gun range. If you're around Camrose I'd be happy to help you get started.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Gone Hunting

I believe AHEIA had a "mentorship program" at one time where they would provide some special help for young hunters like yourself. They would help them to the point of taking them out to bow hunt deer in some special areas (Edm airport property and power plant property near Wabamun lake).

Contact them to see if you can get involved in it.

Good luck to you and welcome to the hunting brotherhood.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM

AHEIA is the place to go. I'm not particulary in favor of the online course because I think there's so much more to learning to hunt than you can learn from a book/online.

AHEIA has a First Time Hunter program where they take out newbies and match them with a hunter (rifle as well as bow)

I think these run in many places throughout the province - the one I'm familiar with is in the Oyen area in southern AB

Have fun!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Once you get your hunters Ed course and you need someone to show you the ropes I have two brothers around your age and you would be more than welcome to tag along, as well as your dad if he wish to join. It would also be easier if you lived in the Edmonton area.

Lane
Old 05-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Hi,
Thank you very much for your great answers. This first time hunters course sounds pretty good!
Unfortunately i live in calgary for those who offered to show me the ropes thats a little far away =(

Ryan
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Hi, I have been very interested in hunting for the past to years and i've watched countless hours of hunting footage and read magazines and been reading many of the very interesting posts on this forum.

So I decided that maybe I should get into hunting.. So i asked my father (seeing as im only fifteen) about it and he said i should star now.
He hunted many years ago but didn't think his advice would be of much help and none of my friends or family hunt...

So how do i get into hunting.... I plan to sign up for the online AHEIA course and course within the week. But where do i go from there. Am i old enough to get a hunting License? Do i need any other licences?

I have lots of outdoors experience and spend lots of time hiking and mountain biking throughout the summer. But... i have never shot a gun.. I don't know if thats a problem either...

Thanks,
Ryan

Get your dad involved. He may not remember much, but he can go through the courses and process with you. You can learn together and hunt together. The only reason I hunt today is because when he was about your age my oldest son said he wanted to try and asked me if I could take the courses with him. I had never hunted or even owned a gun before that except a .22 and b.b. gun when I was a kid many years ago. I'm very glad he asked me.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM

My dad for some reason is pretty stubbon on the fact that hunting is part of his past and doesn't want to get involved... Which is a drag because it would be some quality father son bonding.

Tags
beginner, hunting, noob