Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Default tree guy in Edmonton ?

I need some tree work done in Edmonton - one branch lopped off high on a poplar and I think a pine to come down, it looks diseased.

(Obviously there's only one real Tree Guy, but he's in Calgary.)

Anybody know a good tree guy in Edmonton?

Thanks

B
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Geeze, Bignose, I really wish I was heading up your way any time soon but I'm not. I'd do it for a couple of brewski's and a good BS session. Maybe next time.

Here's how I can help you. We are on the verge of business insanity right now, but not yet. Many of the smaller companies are pricing very cheap just to get some cash (ahem.......CASH) flowing in.

The big guys (Arbor Care, Davey Tree, Aspluhnd, etc) have their contracts and are fine through the winter with their utility divisions.

It's the small companies with only a few employees who are pretty hungry right now. Call a bunch of 'em out of the Yellow Pages. Only a couple of branches up high in a poplar, and a pine shouldn't cost you too much now. Wait 60 days, and we'll charge you triple and take a month to get there. Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions (pics help too)!

Tree
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM

What's wrong with the pine?

Tree
Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Default pine

Tree

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I'll get on the phone next week.

The pine just doesn't look well - foliage seems thin and the bark is flaking off all over. It's sitting between two spruces that both look ok. It's not dead, just sort of off-looking, if you know what I mean.

B
Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. If it's a lodgepole or a jack (tall and thin), they just never really do well in urban settings. Also, they like soil that, although similar in PH to spruce, is made up of a different composition (sandy with good drainage). The other problem is that spruce have a wide and shallow root system compared to pine, thus they suck up all of the water prior to it getting down to the pine's system.

Good luck and don't let 'em try the 'upsell' on ya! Anything that seems suspect probably is. Remember, if the lawn guy screws up a portion of the grass, you can re-sod and be back in business. If a tree guy screws up, it could take decades for a tree to recover. Any other questions let me know.

Tree
Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned

go ahead and call Acorn tree service in Edmonton, nice guy, does great work, I think he learned from TreeGuy!!! LOL...joking!!...in a nice way!