Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Here's a few archtops. My wife surprised me by getting a photographer to take pictures of a bunch of my guitars and made me a great album. I had joked about getting a Walmart pic done at one point so the photographer mocked one up as well! The wood for these came from a buddy of mine who has since passed. He would cut and haul big leaf maple, sitka spruce and other woods from the West coast. He would resaw it on his homemade mill and I would process it further after that. I sure miss him.
HOLY!!!!!!!! You sir can build a guitar.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Here's a few archtops. My wife surprised me by getting a photographer to take pictures of a bunch of my guitars and made me a great album. I had joked about getting a Walmart pic done at one point so the photographer mocked one up as well! The wood for these came from a buddy of mine who has since passed. He would cut and haul big leaf maple, sitka spruce and other woods from the West coast. He would resaw it on his homemade mill and I would process it further after that. I sure miss him.
I love how the fret board ends on the middle guitar. Wow.
I bit the bullet and bought a Martin a couple years ago. Amazing what good craftsmanship can do to sound. Now if only I was a better player.... it’s coming though. Slowly
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 PM

I've never built one before but I do suffer from GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).
I currently have around nine guitars and am seriously considering building a Telecaster from a kit.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
Beautiful, beautiful work guys. Have either of you ever tackled gun stocks?
Have made a few axe handles and other things but never a gun stock although I do have a gun stock vise I use for guitar building. Great for holding necks.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Default guitar

Worked in Phillipines for couple years and bought very expensive guitar. Liked when shop selling it to me said "very exotic import wood" from Canada."Spruce"
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Worked in Phillipines for couple years and bought very expensive guitar. Liked when shop selling it to me said "very exotic import wood" from Canada."Spruce"
Ha! Yup, coniferous woods (spruce, cedar) make the best acoustic tops and Canada has plenty.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Beautiful guitars. So that leads me to ask Okotok... "How much for one of your labors of love?"

I have been playing for decades and enjoy my Taylor but I'm thinking Okotok's guitars sound just as sweet or better.

I was going to go to the Acoustic Shop in Edmonton and build a guitar there. They offer guitar building courses.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 AM

I used to build drums - lots of finishing advice came from luthiers.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Just "WOW"
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Aahh, nice thread. Love guitars. If I ever win a lottery will fill one room with ones in exotic wood, and another room with crown custom Weatherbys. Nice to see talent at work.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Beautiful guitars. So that leads me to ask Okotok... "How much for one of your labors of love?"

I have been playing for decades and enjoy my Taylor but I'm thinking Okotok's guitars sound just as sweet or better.

I was going to go to the Acoustic Shop in Edmonton and build a guitar there. They offer guitar building courses.
There's no money in building guitars by hand unless you're one of the few famous luthiers. If you paid yourself $10/hour that means about $1000 to $1500 in labour costs for a flat top and $2500 to $3000 for an archtop. Materials for a flat top are $500 to $600 and up to a thousand or more for an archtop, unless you have good sources of wood and the ability to resaw and process. I build for close friends and family for the price of materials and have a long build list.

You can build with cheaper woods for sure. I built a 1918 Martin style guitar for a woodworking 2 x 4 competition. I used one carefully chosen pine 2 x 4 and resawed slices that were then edge joined to make the top, back and sides. I reinforced the neck with 4 hacksaw blades routed and epoxied in on edge. Made the bridge and fretboard out of a chunk of hardwood I acquired at one of LeeValley's end of year sales. Some old tuners from a smashed up guitar I got at a garage sale. About $30 worth of materials. Plays and looks great and I won the competition! I'll post a pic if I can find one.

Building your own is not as hard as you think and you can get away with hand tools and home built tools, jigs etc. for the most part. I started with a book by Benedetto on Building your own archtop guitar. I still have that guitar and it turned out well if I do say so myself. Flat tops are considerably less work as you don't have the top and back to carve as on an archtop. The neck is the most work on any guitar. I slot my own boards for frets, radius and taper them etc. but it's easy to buy a pre-slotted board, just much more expensive. Carving the neck is actually fun IMO.

My first bending pipes, which I still use consist of a piece of 3" pipe squeezed into a teardrop shape with a 300 watt lightbulb inside for heat and a dimmer for control. My smaller one for doing cutaways is a 1 1/2" pipe with a halogen bulb and dimmer. I've since graduated to a sidebender I built that uses a silicone blanket and custom forms for each style I build, but still use the pipes for touch ups and one offs.

I've made a lot of my own tools. I never took any courses as the internet is a treasure trove of information on how to do it. A course would give you a jump start for sure but isn't necessary.

Stewart MacDonald and Luthiers Mercantile are two great places to get parts and hardware. LeeValley and Blackforest are both carrying a lot more parts and woods now as well. Just do it if you like woodworking and playing. It's addictive.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:01 PM

Here's a couple of pictures of the guitar I built from a pine 2 x 4. I found a pretty clear one at Home Depot. The dark wood is from a board I picked up at a LeeValley sale. Rosewood I think? Had enough wood left from the 8' 2"x 4" to make the stand too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1264 whole back.jpg (24.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1263 whole front.jpg (25.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:22 PM

Incredible work. Very impressive.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Incredible work. Very impressive.
Thanks Wolf. Fred Eaglesmith was all over the 2" x 4" one a few years ago when I showed it to him at a show.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 PM

Some pics of my first guitar built almost 20 years ago using Benedetto's book and wood from the West coast harvested by my friend along with parts and pieces from online suppliers (fretboard, tuners, tailpiece cable, fretwire and mother of pearl). It's named after my wife, hence the letters on the headstock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0912_2.jpg (54.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0915_2.jpg (49.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM

I was also pretty proud of this bridge I made out of African blackwood for my blue guitar. It has a sliding wedge to adjust the action rather than the thumbwheels used on most archtop bridges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue bridge2.jpg (73.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg side2.jpg (50.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM

That's some very impressive work!!!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
Beautiful, beautiful work guys. Have either of you ever tackled gun stocks?

I haven’t, but I have two old 22’s every now and then I get the urge to refinish them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Okotok, very nice woodwork, you are a true wood artist!