Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Matching rod and reel

Hey guys,
So I want to get into fly fishing this year. Been getting together all the gear I’ll
Need the past couple weeks. I ordered a 7wt rod and 6/7/8 reel for throwing streamers for bulls ( I work around the little Smokey). The first time they sent the wrong size reel 4/5/6. So I returned it for the correct size. And the sent the same size again.. lots of people say a reel is just to hold line? Should I return the reel for a second time or just use it?

What do you guys think? I will be putting 100yards 30ib Dacron backing and 100 feet of rio grand 7wt on it. It’s a hardy ultra light cadd on a sage method if that matters.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM

A 4/5/6 reel will not hold what you are proposing, it is to small, send it back and get the correct size.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Always size your reel for one or 2 line sizes bigger than the rod so you can put some backing behind the fly line: minimum 50 yds of 20 lb in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Sounds good thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 AM

To big of a rod for the little smokey imo 4wt and under is best.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Banned

A lot of $ spent for someone "just getting into" flyfishing. $1000 rod, $350 reel, $100 line.
And yes, a 7 wt. seems like overkill for the Little Smokey, but any size fish can be caught on any size rod.
7 wt. is like the forgotten cousin. No one seems to think of buying a 7 wt. Most prefer a 6 wt. or 8 wt. for some reason.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM

I bought a 3 wt and 5wt as well. The 7wt is specifically for throwing steamers.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Always size your reel for one or 2 line sizes bigger than the rod so you can put some backing behind the fly line: minimum 50 yds of 20 lb in my opinion.
If you do that your rod will feel quite heavy on the reel end...The reel designated for 5 wt has the room built in for 5 wt line and the backing already.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I bought a 3 wt and 5wt as well. The 7wt is specifically for throwing steamers.
should fill all of your needs. You'll have the most fun with the 3 wt. unless you normally target bigger fish.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 PM

No just fished the little Smokey a few times last year on ultra light spinning gear. Caught a few small whitefish and Grayling. Now want to get serious about it so I got the fly rods.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM

7 wt works quite nicely in a lot of apps where you want to use or need bigger flies or lines to get down a bit faster or a little extra backbone in the rod when down a bit deeper, or for places where the fish need a bit extra horsepower to get them in quick, or out of something you don't want them to do into. Besides, I like the odd numbers too, 3,5,7 & 9. You never know if maybe down the road you'll perhaps be fishing a river with something bigger in it as well, or you may use it on salt water even. The bigger reel capacity and more backing can come in handy when you may not be expecting to need it.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Banned

I started with the "odd" numbers, then quickly evolved to "all the numbers". I find I mostly use the "even" numbers, with the exception of my 3 wt. rods which are great fun in the right applications.
Rarely use my Hardy Zenith 5 wt. or my 7 wt. (maybe never?).
Old 01-20-2019, 07:37 PM

7wt is a great Alberta bull trout stick. I’d say the only downside is it’s a little light for larger pike, but the Method is super stiff and acts like 2 line sizes up. So you’re good 😂
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured she’d be a good bull trout /walleye stick. I won’t be targeting big pike with it. My brother lives in crowsnest pass as well, so it may come in handy if it’s really windy. I ended up sending the reels back and got a Galvan torque in the right size.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Banned

I use a 10wt TFO Essox for pike, walleye, and big browns sky’s the limit for streamers even in the wind, used 7 and 8s but, they didn’t have the muscle required for casting my contraptions, as well you don’t overplay the fish.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 AM

As trout rigs go,matching the reel sz to rod sz is more for balance and aesthetic appeal imho,I wouldn’t get too hung up on backing capacity that you’re never gonna need,it’s only the rare huge trout on a large river that will even get you into your backing let alone come anywhere close to spooling you.....50m backing capacity is more then enough for 99.99% of resident trout you’ll ever hook into.
If a reel feels nice/well balanced/comfy etc....and of course looks good....I wouldn’t be too concerned with the number(s) that a reel mfr prints on it
Anadromous Salmon & Steelhead is another story........but even then,the importance of backing capacity is generally overrated,I’ve never come anywheres even close to being spooled by any searun fish having caught hundreds of Salmon/Steelhead on both coasts and in between on tributaries to 4 of the 5 Great Lakes.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM

A 7 wt is ideal for working big streamers on rivers like the Bow.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 PM

Default Light Reels

I bought a cheaper 8 wt reel once and used it on the ocean. Hooked into about a 15 lb coho. The fish put so much pressure on the reel that it was twisting in the frame. I couldn't wind or use the drag.
Bottom line, don't let anyone tell you they are there just to hold line. Get a good one and the right size. I threw that one in the garbage and haven't bought anything but a quality rod or reel since.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks the advice everyone. I ended up going with the Galvan torque 7
Old 03-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Thanks the advice everyone. I ended up going with the Galvan torque 7
A decent reel.