Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 PM

I did not miss your point Keg, I did not agree with it.

Vehicles are a necessity. Even if you are an apartment dweller that does nothing more than ride a bus it is still a vehicle.

The world has changed....

waitadamnminute.....

down the rabbit hole we go.

I am hoping this settles the argument. One of these innocent people is dead from a dog. The other may be young enough to not suffer lasting damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Gone Hunting

LOL Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Don't matter to me any way it goes. Ain't no pit bulls here and I won't live long enough for there ever to be any here in my lifetime.

Ain't nobody here dumb enough to own one. Ugly useless dogs anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I did not miss your point Keg, I did not agree with it.

Vehicles are a necessity. Even if you are an apartment dweller that does nothing more than ride a bus it is still a vehicle.

The world has changed....

waitadamnminute.....

down the rabbit hole we go.

I am hoping this settles the argument. One of these innocent people is dead from a dog. The other may be young enough to not suffer lasting damage.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Don't matter to me any way it goes. Ain't no pit bulls here and I won't live long enough for there ever to be any here in my lifetime.

Ain't nobody here dumb enough to own one. Ugly useless dogs anyway.
I sure hope you are right pal, other than living long, you have a few good decades to go.
There have been unfortunately people here stupid enough to own them. When they got out the town was just short of on lock down. Yep, I was on the deck with the bow, and there may have been a rifle near me

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
So very tired of people telling me I can't have my chosen breed of dog. Whatever opinion you have, fine, but to say I should get rid of my family dog, while all of you get to keep yours is a load of horse s@#&. That is all I'm going to say on this one
I think you should be able to have whatever dog you want too, as long as you are willing to spend the rest of your life in jail if it kills someone. Do whatever the hell you want, as long as you are willing to take full responsibility for any consequences and pay the full price for your choices.

Speaking as someone who had a close family member mauled and killed by a pair of rottweilers days before Christmas a couple years ago. It stops being statistics at that point. That's all I'm going to say on this one.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
A vehicle is necessary. Let's call it a necessary evil to fit your rationale.
While not a necessity, a great benefit, yes. However, the number of people killed due to drunk driving, texting, talking while driving, watching movies, driving tired, etc. is the outrage that should have people up in arms. Texting and driving for example, is not a necessity.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think you should be able to have whatever dog you want too, as long as you are willing to spend the rest of your life in jail if it kills someone.
Now there's a solution that makes perfect sense to me. No matter the breed, if it kills a person the owner goes to jail.

Or Ken's solution, Ralph's law, SSS a bow would be perfect for that purpose.

With dogs or Bears. Neighbors dog wonders away, we find it, we take it home, dog attacks our dog or a person on our property, we dig a hole, dog does not go home.

Neighbors know they have my blessing if the shoe is ever on the other foot.

No I've never shot a neighbors dog, but many years ago I did shoot my own dog for nipping a neighbor and some years later, another for killing the neighbors chickens.

I do not tolerate dangerous or trouble causing dogs. Of any breed.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM

I have not had a dog for nearly 2 decades. I drove 40 hours to get a long haired german shepherd that washed out of RCMP training because it was not aggressive enough.
When the dog flipped its chit at a neighbor who said she would never come back in the yard again, the wife of course became scared of a lawsuit and he went to a new home in the country with no close neighbors.
The whiny neighbor later got 3 miserable dogs.
I could not live with myself if a pet harmed someone.
If my bunny bites you feel free to file a complaint

Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Banned

You have a bunny??
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 PM

My daughter got a bunny when she moved out.
Then she got pregnant, and could not keep the bunny.
So she asked if we would take it, and we said no.
So we compromised and now have a bunny.

Got a problem with that???

In all honesty wifey absolutely hates animals in the house. It was believe it or not her idea to take the bunny and socialize it, she was not a real friendly bunny. Turned out the bunny only really liked me, so until the day the bunny died she was mine.
After there was no more bunny my son thought I was lonely, and we ended up with another bunny. He likes everyone.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
My daughter got a bunny when she moved out.
Then she got pregnant, and could not keep the bunny.
So she asked if we would take it, and we said no.
So we compromised and now have a bunny.

Got a problem with that???

In all honesty wifey absolutely hates animals in the house. It was believe it or not her idea to take the bunny and socialize it, she was not a real friendly bunny. Turned out the bunny only really liked me, so until the day the bunny died she was mine.
After there was no more bunny my son thought I was lonely, and we ended up with another bunny. He likes everyone.
Oh no..I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit..one of the most gorgeous animals ever brought on to this Earth
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Oh no..I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit..one of the most gorgeous animals ever brought on to this Earth
Right on.

I was actually just looking for tennis balls, was waiting for some smartass remark to which I was going to see how many I could stuff up in down or through, well you know

Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM

you watch, soon someone is going to say

'I don't like bunnies, saw one of Monty Python once, I think they should be banned....'

Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
you watch, soon someone is going to say

'I don't like bunnies, saw one of Monty Python once, I think they should be banned....'
Okay I'll bite. BAN the bunnies, They have a hare trigger.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Haha ZING!!!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I’m a big strong dude. If a cocker spaniel turns on me I like my chances. If one of the large working breeds does however, I hope I have a bat and big lunch to get through it.

That lady is an absolute hero...
Yessir, I still like your chances with 2 cockers turning on you, 2 of the other ones what do you want on your headstone?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Fact of the matter is, very few people have the faintest clue what they are doing concerning dogs. A few ill informed comments concerning the intelligence of "pit bull" owners. Yet hardly a soul has bothered to pick up some literature and read up on dogs.

Shortly after I grew thumbs, I started reading. Sometimes voraciously and up to 5 hours a night. I would nearly get through a Hardy Boys novel in a night when I was in grade 4.

My ability to flip through pages has helped me solve problems, further myself, and find out that factoid and bit of knowledge that nags through elusiveness. Will Chet get captured again? Why's Joe Hardy always punching solar plexises?

So when I looked for a family dog, I discounted a lot of dogs through my research. Akitas, did not make the cut. Huskies did not make the cut. Anything crossed with a wolf was not suitable. Chows did not make it either.

I also found that Staffordshire Terriers one of the many breeds that are referred to as a Pit Bull (pay attention, I'm spoon feeding a big hint), score significantly higher on a behavioural compliance index than Labrador Retrievers. This research was affirmed by kennel club dog experts, and not some "apologist" as some of you would like to say. They also score very well as family suitable dogs, by many actual dog experts, and backed up by older literature.

I could paste a page, that about 4% of you would bother to read, but many would dismiss it as "Pitbull apologist literature'', even though it predates any of that by a few decades. Rather you would all reference the same piece of garbage compiled of second hand reports, non verified by neither dog expert, or genetic testing. I am speaking of course, about dogbites.org. Merely a mess collected from paper clippings from the same reporters that confuse semi auto 22 rifles with Armalite select fire guns.

As it gets reported nearly every square headed dog suddenly becomes a pit bull.

Take the test, and post how well you identified the dogs!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:20 AM

It's sad that it happened, but it happened because they don't know dogs.

They picked breeds that characteristically make poor guard dogs. Dollars to donuts that they had didn't train the dogs themselves. Very (extremely) likely, it was some hack running a back yard breeding operation. Breeding dogs for human aggression (which is different from dog aggression, even though many will argue), and probably abusing them when "training".

Trained improperly, no doubt, as the dog did not consider his human family to be alpha. There is a hint in the story that alludes to this as well.

Neither do I believe there was no warning signs; most people just don't recognize.

Pureblood!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 AM

And again..

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...n-north-delta/

Only this time the dog had previously attacked someone.

I would be ok with the owner catching some serious charges and a lawsuit.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
And again..

It's the owner, not the dog. Again. And theses stories will just keep coming too, because....well, people have a right to own whatever animal they want.

And as you (and I) have said, it would be nice to see some responsibility and consequences to go along with that 'right'. Like serious prison time and massive fines.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
And as you (and I) have said, it would be nice to see some responsibility and consequences to go along with that 'right'. Like serious prison time and massive fines.
100% agree if want to own potentially dangerous stuff you should be responsible for it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
It's the owner, not the dog. Again. And theses stories will just keep coming too, because....well, people have a right to own whatever animal they want.

No, the dog bit her not the owner. If the owner bit her it would be a different type of story. Zombies and all that.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
And again..

That will continue to be a problem, as long as there are dogs.

Good friends of ours had a few Bull Mastiffs. And they were good dogs. Big drooly, and with varying amounts of obedience. Good with kids too. Wouldn't be my first pick for a family dog perhaps. But they seemed to be decent guard dogs also.

One time, when the girls were home alone, and pretty young, someone tried getting in their front door. The current Mastiff (forget which) jumped up in a flash, and "bang!" slammed the door shut with 2 big paws. Growled deep, and stood there while one of the girls locked it. Didn't have to train that; just natural. But then they were bred to catch poachers on royal land.

They eventually got an American Pitbull Terrier, after some theft around their place. He wasn't near as good a guard dog, and about half the size, but the thefts stopped as thieves were intimidated by his look. Smartest of their dogs, and most people friendly.

You can't judge a breed on what 2 meth heads who let a little girl get ripped up are walking around. If there was no Mastiff or Pit, it would have been a different dog. Probably would have been a Husky, like the 2 that killed that little baby around Edmonton a couple years ago.

You could get rid of the Huskys too, which are a poor choice for having little kids, and it could be a Daschund like the one that chewed a babies legs off, in another room.

It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.

Not a fan of German Shepherds myself. A friend who doesn't like Pits, just had to put his down because he bit a kid. They seem to make good police dogs, as they don't hesitate to latch onto people.

Yet people ignore that deliberate breeding and latch onto Pit Bulls supposedly being bred for fighting. Not originally, and not people! Completely opposite breeding goals. Not to mention that for the last 130 years, bull breeds were bred to be more social with other dogs.

Pureblood!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post

Good friends of ours had a few Bull Mastiffs. And they were good dogs. Big drooly, and with varying amounts of obedience. Good with kids too. Wouldn't be my first pick for a family dog perhaps. But they seemed to be decent guard dogs also.

One time, when the girls were home alone, and pretty young, someone tried getting in their front door. The current Mastiff (forget which) jumped up in a flash, and "bang!" slammed the door shut with 2 big paws. Growled deep, and stood there while one of the girls locked it. Didn't have to train that; just natural. But then they were bred to catch poachers on royal land.

They eventually got an American Pitbull Terrier, after some theft around their place. He wasn't near as good a guard dog, and about half the size, but the thefts stopped as thieves were intimidated by his look. Smartest of their dogs, and most people friendly.

You can't judge a breed on what 2 meth heads who let a little girl get ripped up are walking around. If there was no Mastiff or Pit, it would have been a different dog. Probably would have been a Husky, like the 2 that killed that little baby around Edmonton a couple years ago.

You could get rid of the Huskys too, which are a poor choice for having little kids, and it could be a Daschund like the one that chewed a babies legs off, in another room.

It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.

Not a fan of German Shepherds myself. A friend who doesn't like Pits, just had to put his down because he bit a kid. They seem to make good police dogs, as they don't hesitate to latch onto people.

Yet people ignore that deliberate breeding and latch onto Pit Bulls supposedly being bred for fighting. Not originally, and not people! Completely opposite breeding goals. Not to mention that for the last 130 years, bull breeds were bred to be more social with other dogs.
People that would do this and people that brag about it on a message board are the problem. Just a bunch of juvenile posturing. That the problem with pitbull or bully dog owners, posturing to make themselves feel tough.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
People that would do this and people that brag about it on a message board are the problem. Just a bunch of juvenile posturing. That the problem with pitbull or bully dog owners, posturing to make themselves feel tough.
Minding his own business, or someone relaying what happened is the problem?

Feminization of NA is the real problem here, if you think that he should have let that other dog maul his girlfriend. Or maybe he should have taken it on with his bare hands?

What would your avatar have done? You seem to admire this man of action movie character. Though I don't believe he had a six gun on his hip; or perhaps he would have shot it dead like Sam Elliott in a movie.

Pureblood!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Minding his own business, or someone relaying what happened is the problem?

Feminization of NA is the real problem here, if you think that he should have let that other dog maul his girlfriend. Or maybe he should have taken it on with his bare hands?

What would your avatar have done? You seem to admire this man of action movie character. Though I don't believe he had a six gun on his hip; or perhaps he would have shot it dead like Sam Elliott in a movie.
Having reread my post I would like to apologize for being overly opinionated and rude..

That being said, you said nothing of mauling, but that the other dog was jumping up on his girl friend. That is not mauling in my mind, but I was not there. If it was not a mauling there is no excuse for him turning his pit bull loose.

In my opinion, people looking for trouble usually find it.

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 09-23-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Are you for real? If everyone killed every dog that jumped up on them, there would be dead dogs all over the place.

The problem dog is the one that kills in case you are somehow in doubt, but I don't think any of the guard breeds are ideal house pets with children. The herding breeds like to bite instinctively as well and would actually be low on my want list as a house pet too.

Let's pretend that fighting dogs and attack type dogs are indeed intelligent, easy to train and are good pets when well looked after. How many people fail at training the most eager to please animal on the planet, the Labrador Retriever??? 20%, 50% 75%???

Screw up training your retriever and you lose a duck, miss a flush, have a little mess on the floor, maybe a few holes in the back yard, chewed up shoe or maybe some damaged furniture. This happens to like, nearly everybody??We all know what happens when an owner screws up an animal whose instinct is to attack and protect.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This is amazing!
What was the final outcome?
Did the GS owner report the incident? I would think that people would report having their dog killed by another dog.

Where and when was this? Is there a news report?
Old 09-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is amazing!
What was the final outcome?
Did the GS owner report the incident? I would think that people would report having their dog killed by another dog.

Where and when was this? Is there a news report?
Just use a little imagination.

It's a beautiful day and buddy (we will call him teacher) is walking arm and arm with his girlfriend in the park. Of course his well behaved Pit Bull is walking calmly at heel. He's capable of putting down a German Shepard in less than a minute, but we will get to that.

Buddy number two enters the scene and thinks he should try to intimidate this nice couple and their dog. He's had this death wish for most of his life but in all his worldly travels he had yet to encounter anyone so ruthless and dangerous as teacher and his dog.

As a show of intimidation he has his German Shepard jump up on the unsuspecting lady of the couple. With Pit Bull still calmly at heel teacher shouts a warning "Control your dog or I will release the Kraken....I mean Pit Bull and he will mutilate your pathetic animal!"

But death wish buddy fails to heed the warning! Teacher looks to his side where Pit Bull is waiting and with one flick of the wrist the wrath of Pit Bull is unleashed.

Although untold, the rest of the story is easy to envision. With a snap of his fingers, teacher ends the vicious assault,,, but it is too late. Death wish buddy realizing the error of his ways now kneels beside his fallen comrade whimpering.

The young lady rushes into teacher's arms "Thank God you were here teacher!"

"No, no, thank Pit Bull my dear, thank Pit Bull." and the threesome walk off into the forest.

I don't know what is hard to understand here. This type of thing happens all the time in rural Alberta farmland only usually with a lot more Bull and not as much Pit.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Default dog breeds

And this is where the problem starts, in my opinion. Once you have a dog that likes to scrap and fight you have a problem. For the dog owner you now have a four legged time bomb. The dog likes fighting and all it takes is for that trigger to set it off and the end result could be ugly.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Just use a little imagination.

It's a beautiful day and buddy (we will call him teacher) is walking arm and arm with his girlfriend in the park. Of course his well behaved Pit Bull is walking calmly at heel. He's capable of putting down a German Shepard in less than a minute, but we will get to that.

Buddy number two enters the scene and thinks he should try to intimidate this nice couple and their dog. He's had this death wish for most of his life but in all his worldly travels he had yet to encounter anyone so ruthless and dangerous as teacher and his dog.

As a show of intimidation he has his German Shepard jump up on the unsuspecting lady of the couple. With Pit Bull still calmly at heel teacher shouts a warning "Control your dog or I will release the Kraken....I mean Pit Bull and he will mutilate your pathetic animal!"

But death wish buddy fails to heed the warning! Teacher looks to his side where Pit Bull is waiting and with one flick of the wrist the wrath of Pit Bull is unleashed.

Although untold, the rest of the story is easy to envision. With a snap of his fingers, teacher ends the vicious assault,,, but it is too late. Death wish buddy realizing the error of his ways now kneels beside his fallen comrade whimpering.

The young lady rushes into teacher's arms "Thank God you were here teacher!"

"No, no, thank Pit Bull my dear, thank Pit Bull." and the threesome walk off into the forest.

I don't know what is hard to understand here. This type of thing happens all the time in rural Alberta farmland only usually with a lot more Bull and not as much Pit.
Problem is it's the other way around 90% of the time.