Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Drilled and Tapped Vs. Dovetail?

So the .22LR that I am looking at purchasing is both drilled and tapped and has a dovetail. What is the better method of mounting? Why? Looking at light weight Talley rings.
The dovetails are more expense and use a vertical two piece design, the drilled and tapped rings use a two piece horizontal design. Why the change up in mounting?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:28 PM

What's the gun? Maybe someone can give some specific advice.

Nothing wrong with dovetail rings. One advantage of a dovetail ring is that you can position the ring anywhere on the dovetail. Using the D&T and bases you are limited as to where the rings can be placed.

For the D&T, Weaver or Warne should have a base that will work. Then just find the ring that is the right height in a weaver style. Burris zee or sig zee work well. Lots of ring choices when you mount bases on your gun.

Talley makes their lightweight rings that will screw into the D&T of some rimfires.

Lots of dovetail rings can fit either an 11 or 3/8 dovetail. Warne, Burris, and Leupold come to mind as quality, horizontally split rings that should work for you. Talley rimfire rings are vertically split. A bit of a pia to mount but they are a nice ring.

Another option that I like are J&P dovetail adapters. They slide onto the dovetail and allow you to use Weaver style rings. The adapters can be positioned anywhere along the dovetail. Kinda like using a Weaver style base but you don't need to have the D&T and you have more flexibility to where you place your rings.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
What's the gun.
It’s going to be an Anschutz.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Tons of options.

Talley lightweights will work. I don't have them but a friend does and they work well.

I've used older Burris dovetail rings rings for 11mm dovetail and they worked well. This was with a Weaver RV9 scope with a 1.8 inch diameter objective housing.

I've moved to a Hubble style scope with 2.1inch objective housing and am using the Talley high dovetail rings. They also work well. They are Anschutz specific.

You have to be careful with dovetail rings as the Anschutz has a rounded top and not all rings will fit.

Have also used the j&p adapters with Burris sig zee. Easy to find a ring of the correct height and the rings can be used on your centerfire rifles.

Talked to guys at the range that use Weaver bases and a variety of rings. They were happy with the system.

Lots of options. Lots and lots of info on Rimfire Central.

Last edited by Big Sky; 02-16-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Banned

Depends on what it will be used for. With the new thing coming of longer range shooting, using a MOA rail is almost becoming a necessity with, with a couple of exceptions for a couple of rifles, means drilled and tapped.
The size of the scope could also dictate what your setup will be. Going to the dovetail with a large bell on your scope might not give enough clearance.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:07 PM

I have the Talley rings on my anschutz. Simple secure good looking and adjustable spacing. I don’t know why anybody would put screw on bases on an anschutz 22