Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM

dad used to say..... " if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"

remember fellas you can buy a sheep tag over the counter.....lets keep it that way.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
dad used to say..... " if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"

remember fellas you can buy a sheep tag over the counter.....lets keep it that way.
LOL. It’s kinda broke, that’s what seems to be the problem. Haha
Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 PM

I feel that there should be a 5 year wait after killing a ram and the total Rams allowed should be no more than 3.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I feel that there should be a 5 year wait after killing a ram and the total Rams allowed should be no more than 3.
Why? I can’t see any reasonable justification.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Too many squeaker Rams killed by guys that don't need to kill anymore squeaker Rams. You pull the trigger on the 3 Rd ram and it should be a beauty.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 PM

I rather hunt sheep every year or every second year.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Too many squeaker Rams killed by guys that don't need to kill anymore squeaker Rams. You pull the trigger on the 3 Rd ram and it should be a beauty.
There's probably more squeaker full curls shot that are short and they are left to rot then you care to imagine. How do you fix that problem. For the record most guys that shoot as you put it squeakers are first Ram guys.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Here's my opinion. A legal sheep is a legal sheep.

Any hunter who gets on their high horse telling other hunters how and what they should hunt should actually...shut their yap.

Who made you God?

Who made you smarter than the biologists?

That does not mean you can't have an opinion on the subject, just means it's not mandatory for everyone else to believe.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

And that the current average harvest age for rams is 8?

Were did you get that # from?
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Here's my opinion. A legal sheep is a legal sheep.

Any hunter who gets on their high horse telling other hunters how and what they should hunt should actually...shut their yap.

Who made you God?

Who made you smarter than the biologists?

That does not mean you can't have an opinion on the subject, just means it's not mandatory for everyone else to believe.
When biologists were contemplating making changes to the current status quo recently everyone is an expert Brian except the biologists.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
When biologists were contemplating making changes to the current status quo recently everyone is an expert Brian except the biologists.
Biologists are just theorists. It usually starts like this “it’s my theory, or it’s my belief, or it’s my observation” so what makes them different from everyone else!! Oh yea they went to school for about 4-5 yrs. to get a piece of paper that says they are a certified bullshater.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Biologists are just theorists. It usually starts like this “it’s my theory, or it’s my belief, or it’s my observation” so what makes them different from everyone else!! Oh yea they went to school for about 4-5 yrs. to get a piece of paper that says they are a certified bullshater.
That's got to be one of the top five most ignorant comments uttered on AO.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
That's got to be one of the top five most ignorant comments uttered on AO.
Have you read ones papers on some of their topics!!! They have done so well managing our resources so far (mule deer, pronghorn, grizzly bear, and the list goes on).
Old 02-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Have you read ones papers on some of their topics!!! They have done so well managing our resources so far (mule deer, pronghorn, grizzly bear, and the list goes on).
I find it interesting to hear this opinion. With the exception of the grizzly bear silliness, can you think of a province or state with better resident opurtunity?
Old 02-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Simply by your lack of understanding between management from the regional offices and political interference from Edmonton I know you are ignorant to the situation.

Let's not forget that lots here would rather hear from the AO biologists than to get there information from valid sources.

I have always been amazed at how some hunter will have seen some one off observation in there travels hunting and that becomes god's truth to the situation on the ground.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I find it interesting to hear this opinion. With the exception of the grizzly bear silliness, can you think of a province or state with better resident opurtunity?
That’s easy
Bc
You can hunt 4 species of sheep. Cali’s Rocky’s stone’s and in the far north dall
Lots of opportunities for trophy elk and moose
You can hunt caribou also
Mountain goats are plentiful
For deer you have whitetail, mule, black tail and even island deer
You could hunt grizzlys just a couple years ago, and they are fighting to get their hunt opened again.

The only otc tags available in Alberta are whitetail deer, elk, black bear
And for now, bighorn sheep
Everything else is limited entry
Tags like antelope are mismanaged
Mule deer are culled in the name of cwd
Mountain goats haven’t increased
Elk situation around Suffield was totally mismanaged
Moose might be holding but they took away the archery general opportunity

The point is, if you think our wildlife is being managed well your mistaken
Alberta used to be a great place for hunting
Now it’s in middle of the pack
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Simply by your lack of understanding between management from the regional offices and political interference from Edmonton I know you are ignorant to the situation.

Let's not forget that lots here would rather hear from the AO biologists than to get there information from valid sources.

I have always been amazed at how some hunter will have seen some one off observation in there travels hunting and that becomes god's truth to the situation on the ground.
I see I have touched a nerve, you must be one of the bio’s who are doing a bang up job here in Alberta. Keep up the great work!!!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Saskatchewan is doing a pretty good job, as they don’t allow nonresident mule deer hunt, they put whitetail on draw for nonresident. That’s better for residents. Has Alberta done this?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I see I have touched a nerve, you must be one of the bio’s who are doing a bang up job here in Alberta. Keep up the great work!!!
Yup you found me out I'm just a shill, I'll let my initial assessment of your opinion stand none the less.

"Those who know the least will always know it the loudest."

I'd add that they'll be willing to bash those who do know.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That’s easy
Bc
You can hunt 4 species of sheep. Cali’s Rocky’s stone’s and in the far north dall
You could hunt grizzlys just a couple years ago, and they are fighting to get their hunt opened again.

The animals available to hunt in a jurisdiction has little to do with day to day wildlife management.

So how do you think antelope are mismanaged?

What should they do in CWD zones?

What are the limitations to goat population increases?

What role did politics play in Suffield over sound management?

Did you happen to overlook the increase in demand for tags? where does that fit in?

I highly doubt bio mismanagement is the evil undoing of what some perceive as the decline of hunting in Alberta
Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
The animals available to hunt in a jurisdiction has little to do with day to day wildlife management.

Did you happen to overlook the increase in demand for tags? where does that fit in?

I highly doubt bio mismanagement is the evil undoing of what some perceive as the decline of hunting in Alberta
Have you seen the number of tags handed out for pronghorn when the population is way down!

CWD lets just wipe out the population, that’s their fix!

Who decided that 100 goats per WMU was needed to open up a season for that WMU!

Why were Elk needed in the first place to replace the wild horses!

Then the bio’s do a study on sheep in one specific area and think the whole province should be placed on the same regulations.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

I can give a lot more examples
Unfortunately our wildlife managers have let us down
Our politicians and govt policies have let us down
Old 02-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That’s easy
Bc

Agreed
Old 02-16-2019, 06:07 PM

I feel there needs to be some improvements in sheep management but I gave up on WSF when they couldn't organize memberships or return correspondence.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Ewe to lamb ratio is healthy. Some giant rams get shot every year. For the last 30 years roughly 2000 sheep tags are sold and 150-200 rams get shot, with loss of a signifigant amount of habitat that has been made into parks. To me this sounds like a very resilant species. A very wise man stated that in the states it is only rich old men who sheep hunt and that the younger generation is not interested in sheep hunting which in turn means they will not be interested in sheep management. Anyone who is in favour of draw really only cares about the trophy on the wall and not actually what is best for bighorn sheep.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
do you have actual proof of this or just how you feel? everyone hunts for different reasons. some guys pull a 6 year mule deer tag a shoot a meat buck. should we be "pushing" our ethics on these guys where they should only be shooting what you decide to be a "mature" animal?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM

I've never hunted sheep, but always wondered. What happens if you shoot what you think is a legal squeaker and it turns out to be slightly under. You got right to F&W and turn it in, telling nothing but the truth. What goes down next?
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
do you have actual proof of this or just how you feel? everyone hunts for different reasons. some guys pull a 6 year mule deer tag a shoot a meat buck. should we be "pushing" our ethics on these guys where they should only be shooting what you decide to be a "mature" animal?
X2. I will add if someone wants 10 barley legal rams that is up to them. Its obvious the guys who think there should be some sort of restrictions on how many rams someone else can shoot are just jealous. Get a life, my hat is off to anyone with more then one ram weather it is just legal or a booner.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
i dont disagree with anything you're saying. i just think that 3 rams in a hunting career is enough. I also don't wish to limit anyones experiences either. there would be pulling ewe tags or special draws to be considered. "just because you can doesn't mean you should'.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Ewe to lamb ratio is healthy. Some giant rams get shot every year. For the last 30 years roughly 2000 sheep tags are sold and 150-200 rams get shot, with loss of a signifigant amount of habitat that has been made into parks. To me this sounds like a very resilant species. A very wise man stated that in the states it is only rich old men who sheep hunt and that the younger generation is not interested in sheep hunting which in turn means they will not be interested in sheep management. Anyone who is in favour of draw really only cares about the trophy on the wall and not actually what is best for bighorn sheep.

Some big rams do get shot every year, mostly rams that have wandered out of protected areas/parks.

The numbers of rams left over after the season that are 4/5 curl is still very low. Under the goal of the last management plan. Nothing has changed for the better on that front. The number of rams harvested has continued to trend lower for a long time. No improvement there as well.

A blanket statement that those who consider draw or some other means to limit pressure because they only care about hanging a trophy is not accurate. A lot of guys see an issue when the total number of legal ram post season are this poor.

We are not managing sheep in the province in the best interest of the resource in my opinion. What do you think we can do to improve these numbers or does anyone really even care? Are we managing by political pressure from special interest groups to maintain the status quo? We have groups fighting the bios, we have no political will to let fires burn in the mountains, we have no political will to let us poison wolves where needed. Nobody is really doing anything to improve the situation other than token efforts that don't add up to a hell of a lot.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...y-reports.aspx