Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Nice Wolf bounties in the NWT.

Noticed the Territories upped their incentives to kill wolves. Their Enhanced North Slave Wolf Harvest pilot project just started. Up to 1650.00 per wolf.

Alberta should follow suit in a few areas. Hunters could make short work of lots of wolves for a decent return for the effort.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...rea/ar-BBTwPMi
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM

I give it a big thumbs up.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 PM

I believe in my zone they have wolf bounties it was three hundred bucks a couple years ago nowhere near that price ,would be nice.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 PM

its because there isnt as many tree hugging left leaning trudeau lovers up north preventing proper wildlife management because of feelings
Old 02-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Noticed the Territories upped their incentives to kill wolves. Their Enhanced North Slave Wolf Harvest pilot project just started. Up to 1650.00 per wolf.

Alberta should follow suit in a few areas. Hunters could make short work of lots of wolves for a decent return for the effort.

What I find funny is so many people complain about to many wolves but wont do any thing unless they are paid. Do they get paid for shooting a deer, elk moose sheep etc
Old 02-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would be out all the time for those prices....fish all spring/summer/fall or a little moose hunting then onto the big dogs come winter

A new career thread about to open....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
What I find funny is so many people complain about to many wolves but wont do any thing unless they are paid. Do they get paid for shooting a deer, elk moose sheep etc
Deer and moose are food.
Lots of folks don't have the $ to hunt wolves but with a bounty, it's more doable.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Default If the CAF

Had helicopters that flew the door gunners would get some trigger time.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 AM
Banned

Would make hiring a helicopter viable.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Deer and moose are food.
Lots of folks don't have the $ to hunt wolves but with a bounty, it's more doable.
And many spend more getting deer and moose then it would cost to go by at the store.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 AM

That's a pretty good rate that's for sure $900 per Carcass.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM

With bounties like that, if the government would provide the choppers I would gladly donate my time to go wolf whacking from a chopper. It would be really fun with an AR with drum mag😀
Old 02-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

If you and others feel that there are to many wolves in your favourite areas then get right out there and do something about it. Tell us why you would require a decent return for the effort when the control of the wolves would benefit you.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
If you and others feel that there are to many wolves in your favourite areas then get right out there and do something about it. Tell us why you would require a decent return for the effort when the control of the wolves would benefit you.
The benefit of reducing wolf populations reaches far beyond the individual.

Can you see that?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
And many spend more getting deer and moose then it would cost to go by at the store.
It’s not all about money. People are busy. A lot, if not most people have to book time off work to do a hunt. Many can’t afford to miss work to hunt wolves.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It’s not all about money. People are busy. A lot, if not most people have to book time off work to do a hunt. Many can’t afford to miss work to hunt wolves.
So if theres a bounty they will now book time off work.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
So if theres a bounty they will now book time off work.
Probably not . No. I wouldn’t.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Banned

The only reason, there is a bounty on wolves, as I see it, is becuz of the two legged wolves that take our moose (preferably cows) on a 12 month basis. If this was taken care of, we could all have some game to eat.
As it stands now, all the moose are prospering on "titled" farm land. And I don't have to tell you why..
Old 02-14-2019, 09:34 PM

This bounty is for wolves impacting the bluenose herd only. Ironically the last caribou I harvested came from that herd. However you’ll note that there was an existing $800 incentive for all wolves in NWT. This is more about providing incentives to NWT citizens to keep their skills alive and people on the land. All their fur gets a top up from the government. I support the concept but the NWT population is still declining
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
The only reason, there is a bounty on wolves, as I see it, is becuz of the two legged wolves that take our moose (preferably cows) on a 12 month basis. If this was taken care of, we could all have some game to eat.
As it stands now, all the moose are prospering on "titled" farm land. And I don't have to tell you why..

There aren’t many wolves on deeded land, and aren’t many two legged subsistence hunters in the Willmore, Blackstone, Wapiabi, White Goat, Siffluer, etc. I agree that non regulated hunting is a problem, but wolf and g-bear predation is a bigger problem.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
There aren’t many wolves on deeded land, and aren’t many two legged subsistence hunters in the Willmore, Blackstone, Wapiabi, White Goat, Siffluer, etc. I agree that non regulated hunting is a problem, but wolf and g-bear predation is a bigger problem.
Problem how so?
Problem for well heeled trophy hunters that compete for wolf food perhaps?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM

I could once again post links to the video evidence of a single grizzly bear killing 45 caribou and moose calves in 25 days, or the wolves wiping out 800 caribou on an island in Lake Superior, or the studies linking the abnormally high numbers of predators in the mountains and old growth forest to human activity, but I would be smashing my head against the wall trying to reason with anyone who thinks animals with fur are more important that animals with hair.

One wolf will pull the guts out of 10 live ungulates every year, but it’s inhumane to kill a wolf. I don’t get it.

West ‘05, I do like trying to kill big trophy rams, elk and deer. Does that make me a bad guy?

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I could once again post links to the video evidence of a single grizzly bear killing 45 caribou and moose calves in 25 days, or the wolves wiping out 800 caribou on an island in Lake Superior, or the studies linking the abnormally high numbers of predators in the mountains and old growth forest to human activity, but I would be smashing my head against the wall trying to reason with anyone who thinks animals with fur are more important that animals with hair.

One wolf will pull the guts out of 10 live ungulates every year, but it’s inhumane to kill a wolf. I don’t get it.

West ‘05, I do like trying to kill big trophy rams, elk and deer. Does that make me a bad guy?
Nope,not saying your a bad guy at all,I like hunting trophy class animals as well,and no I’m not a wolf hugger neither.I trapped for the better part of 30 years,have a passion for hunting coyotes,and shoot wolves on sight.
I’m just tired of hearing everybody whining all the time about the big bad wolf killing “our game” or in other words,just being a wolf doing wolf stuff,especially in wilderness areas as you cite,it’s perfectly natural.
I’ve had favorite hunting areas of my own decimated by wolves....temporarily....then the wolves move on to decimate some other area and the ungulates rebound.
Putting bounties on wolves only because they are killing the moose and elk that we want to kill ourselves and hang on a wall to thump our chests and say “look at me/behold what a great hunter I am” is pretty selfish and childish imho.The vast majority of us are not sustenance hunters....but wolves are,and perhaps it’s us that ought to be limiting our harvest to only the sustainable excess instead of crying about wolves eating their share and not enough game left over for us to put the taxidermist’s kid through college.

Last edited by West O'5; 02-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Default wolf

I like my brother the wolf, however when the packs get up to 30 or more wolves and they start killing ungulates just for fun and not eat them, then we have a wolf problem.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Has anyone on here tired to collect this bounty? looks like it could be enough to bankroll a trip. $1200.00 plus the hide for a non-indigenous.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:25 PM

It sure isn't easy to trap,hunt,or shoot a wolf.

Anyone who gets one deserves that bounty

I know from experience hunting them as a specific target animal is almost impossible.(At least for me)The few I have killed were by sheer opportunistic chance.

The surest way is poison, but its too indiscriminate. Helicopter control may work if you get the pack.

Wolves are probably the smartest and most challenging animal we can hunt out there.

I am planning to get out in the next month or so for a week in the wall tent.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryNovice View Post
Has anyone on here tired to collect this bounty? looks like it could be enough to bankroll a trip. $1200.00 plus the hide for a non-indigenous.
This thread is a year old so there could be program changes this year. The results of 2018-19 program are here. page 13.

https://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/sites/enr/...port_proof.pdf

Excerpts from the report:

"There were 59 wolves taken by hunters in the new wolf harvest incentive area in winter 2018/19, 56 of which were paid $900/wolf ($50,400 total)."

"There were 31 hunters who harvested wolves under the new incentive program. Of these, four hunters were non-Canadian hunters. These four
non-resident alien hunters were not eligible to collect the harvest incentive so these payments were collected by their Indigenous guide. Of the remaining 27 hunters, 16 were Indigenous hunters(5 Tłıchǫ). The highest total of wolves harvested by one hunter was nine."
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM

The NWT program only sounds good, $900 for the non-native, and the wolves have to be taken in specific area accessible only by the ice road to the mines and there are check-ins as you enter the area. Overhead costs to do this don't leave much for profit. I've looked at flying in to remote areas with gear to hunt for a month but the bottom line is that I'd need 40 wolves to cover the overhead, .......aircraft aren't cheap!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Nope,not saying your a bad guy at all,I like hunting trophy class animals as well,and no I’m not a wolf hugger neither.I trapped for the better part of 30 years,have a passion for hunting coyotes,and shoot wolves on sight.
I’m just tired of hearing everybody whining all the time about the big bad wolf killing “our game” or in other words,just being a wolf doing wolf stuff,especially in wilderness areas as you cite,it’s perfectly natural.
I’ve had favorite hunting areas of my own decimated by wolves....temporarily....then the wolves move on to decimate some other area and the ungulates rebound.
Putting bounties on wolves only because they are killing the moose and elk that we want to kill ourselves and hang on a wall to thump our chests and say “look at me/behold what a great hunter I am” is pretty selfish and childish imho.The vast majority of us are not sustenance hunters....but wolves are,and perhaps it’s us that ought to be limiting our harvest to only the sustainable excess instead of crying about wolves eating their share and not enough game left over for us to put the taxidermist’s kid through college.
West you have it right on. 30 years bush trapping give you REAL life outlook on real wildlife situations. To many others have no clue what they are flapping thier gums about.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I'm a sustenance hunter.

Does that mean I have your blessing to kill wolves so that I can eat?

It's perfectly natural for me as a sustenance hunter to kill wolves, right?

Your moral compass points in the same direction for all other species that eat the same foods as we do, right?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."