Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 PM

Default spring bear hunt

Hey Everyone,

Whats everyones plan for spring bear? baiting or spot and stalk?

Im thinking of doing Swan Hills for a weekend spot and stalk. Only saw 1 Black bear last year and filmed a grizzly for about an hour. Hoping for more luck this year.

Lets hear em!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Banned

I’ll be spot and stalking in and around my field at work seen an amazing amount of decent colour phases that’ll go along with my big black I shot last year
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Planning my first bait to use as a backup plan. Spot and stalk is my preference and I have some places that need exploring and nothing gets me out farther and longer than having a tag in my pocket and a rifle on my back.. I have Beaver available, so I will likely use it for bait and maybe popcorn though what and how is still evolving Tough to find a spot a mile away from anything and in an allowed WMU close to me, but I have a few spots picked already. There are more restrictions on location than I thought. Basically anywhere there could be Grizzly, you cannot bait.
Suggestions on baiting setup and choice of baits would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM

I had baits out the last two years until end of June and had a blast but it’s major time consuming. This year I plan to fish more but I think I’ll to set up the fox pro and see about calling some bears in, see what happens
Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
I had baits out the last two years until end of June and had a blast but it’s major time consuming. This year I plan to fish more but I think I’ll to set up the fox pro and see about calling some bears in, see what happens
I wouldn’t hold my breath. Unless you have a dandelion or clover sound in the foxpro.
Spring bears will eat meat but not until after they do a sort of purge. They start with greens and work their way up to meat. I’m sure there is the exception though so don’t worry take my word for it

I won’t be baiting this year or any year for a while. My oldest is 10. I’ll wait until him and his buddies are driving to help with the load. I must admit that spot and stalking bears is a very good way to break into spring.
I’ll be hitting up my favourite haunts again come May. I have a spot way back on a lease road that is a bear highway. Hoping to sit on it in the evenings and pick out a bucket head.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
My son's bear came out while the call was going.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
....... They start with greens and work their way up to meat.........
Really? Thanks for the tip. I also plan to distress call black bear in Spring so now I know I will not waste my time for that.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I wouldn’t hold my breath. Unless you have a dandelion or clover sound in the foxpro.
Spring bears will eat meat but not until after they do a sort of purge. They start with greens and work their way up to meat. I’m sure there is the exception though so don’t worry take my word for it

I won’t be baiting this year or any year for a while. My oldest is 10. I’ll wait until him and his buddies are driving to help with the load. I must admit that spot and stalking bears is a very good way to break into spring.
I’ll be hitting up my favourite haunts again come May. I have a spot way back on a lease road that is a bear highway. Hoping to sit on it in the evenings and pick out a bucket head.
It won’t bother me at all if I don’t harvest a spring bear. My understanding is yes their stomach isn’t ready for meat diet as soon as they wake up but it’s also my understanding that black bears also put a major hurt on deer and elk calf’s the first week or two after they’re born.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 PM

I'll be out on those south facing mountain slopes this spring trying to spot a bear, as soon as turkey season is over. Actually turkey season is like pre season scouting, they live in the same areas, they even eat quite a few of the same foods. I've found turkey crops full of dandelion heads/leaves, clover, poplar buds, snails, big grubs, sunflower seeds, grasshoppers. As you may be able to tell I've got turkey hunting on the brain. I've gotten skunked the past two years, it may be even three. Not through lack of trying just haven't been able to make it happen.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta-04 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Whats everyones plan for spring bear? baiting or spot and stalk?

Im thinking of doing Swan Hills for a weekend spot and stalk. Only saw 1 Black bear last year and filmed a grizzly for about an hour. Hoping for more luck this year.

Lets hear em!
I plan on doing the same thing south of swan hills. Lots of cut lines and beautiful country.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I plan on doing the same thing south of swan hills. Lots of cut lines and beautiful country.
And bears to be found. Thinking along similar lines here.

Grizz
Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM

I am planning to do my first spring bear hunt this spring. Unfortunately i don't know any people that hunt bear, so I imagine it will be more of a learning trip up north.

From what I can tell, there are lots of bears up in the peace river area so that is where i will be heading. I live in Calgary so its pretty hard for me to get up there and spot. I will head up and feel out the situation best i can.

Does anyone have any basic suggestions for a first bear hunt? I plan on carving out 4 days to hunt and will bring up the trailer to hide out in. Thats about as far as i have gotten.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Spot and shoot of my deck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180725-105118_Gallery.jpg (60.4 KB, 82 views)