Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM

You can order a Buck with S30V steel and spend a lot less than the cost of a custom made knife. I have a Buck 110 made of S30V and it sharpens to a Razor edge, holds an edge a long time and looks very nice. Easy to order their fixed blade versions out of the same metal.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM
Banned

I have probably a dozen Hunting knives but I think my favorite is my relatively inexpensive Buck Vanguard. Now they make a carbon steel version of it too, the ergonomics of it and the quality for the price makes it my top pick. Another one I like is my Grohmann #3 yachtsmen
Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I am glad there are so many options and opinions out there and in some way, the Ultimate Knife can be a personal choice, just like the caliber.

Looking around, the most suitable candidate I have found so far is this:

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...fm?product=858

Ultra high carbon blade (64 HRC) , elegant handle with not too much flare and a solid European history behind it.

Wondering if anyone has used one.

Yours in good hunting,

Chukar Hunter

I've seen one and it's a gorgeous feel and finish-i would liken it to similar crafted Helle knives. Couple of stores in YYC carry them (Helle) so you could get a look/see idea before you commit.

This store is an offshoot of Knifewear in Inglewood:

https://www.kentofinglewood.com/coll...leather-sheath

Couple of other YYC stores (no Roselli)

https://cuttingedgecutleryco.com

https://www.targetknives.com/services/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
For years my favorite working knife was an "original buffalo skinner", stamped in the blade. Had a blade made in Solingen Germany. My Dad gave it to me in the 60's and I used 35 years... until I lost it in deep snow in the boreal forest. That knife bucked up a few critters and whittled a few camp sticks. Held an edge really good. It looked like the knife in the pic.
I own one of those knives. It is a good knife and has been used lots.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Helle makes an awesome lineup of knives and they can also be purchased at Campers Village in Calgary but I would buy Helle knives if they were garbage only because they have the best website address in the world

www.helle.no

Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM

I use a
Grohman #1 stag (carbon steel)
Grohman trout and bird (carbon streel)
And the first knife I ever baught a oldtimer sharp finger from the early 80's.
Don't think they are the best there is, but they work for me.
The #1 is my go to knife. It is a dream to handle, canadian made, it stays shrap enough and it touches up easily.
If I was to get a custom done it would likely be a pocket knife by Ed Storch
Brad
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM

I bought a Lion Steel M4 in cocobolo. M390 steel, nice hand sown Italian leather sheath. Hell of a knife for around 250$ can. They also have the M3, or the larger M5 for similar prices too. But that M390 steel is unreal. It keeps an edge for ever. Just a couple minutes on the strop and it's back to hair popping sharp.
For a bigger knife I got a BRKT Grizzly Cub in 3V. Iron wood handles. Another nice knife too. You can find them all on Bushcraftcanada.co m Same site as that workwear site in other posts. Also got a Kellam Wolverine Puukko. Beautiful knife. The handle and sheath are works of art, and the blade is a high carbon with an HRC of 63. Lot's of nice knives out there.
Knives of Alaska makes great knives too, as well as a lot of custom makers in Canada. Cosmo knives are amazing, but pricey...
Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I’ve got a bench made it’s unbelievable sharp but I’ve got big hands and it doesn’t fit all that good nice knife though. I pack it and a cutco knife much like the picture rubber doesn’t slip fights perfect very sharp and I don’t loose it when I put it down. I may have lost a few along the way lol. I only ever use drop points for hunting purposes.
I'm with GMX - Cutco makes a great knife and awesome warranty.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM

I like the Ron Post knives. He's is in Ontario.

Nice leather sheath and comfortable in the hands.

Not too expensive

I have the guard models. He does ones with the brass guard as well

Bigger knife is a 305.
120 is the smaller one
And a 7" fillet knife

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Grohmann original, made in Canada, eh.
X2
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM

sadly not wood handles - but stacked leather and VERY nice...

Have a look at Falkniven Northern Lite collection.

I love my Frej. (NL4)

Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 AM

For a simple do it all knife, I like something made with SV30. As someone else recommended, you can have Buck knives made with such. I like Benchmade even more.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Russell is by far the best for hunting. K-bar is a fighting knife for marines. Russell is is a versatile name in Canadian hunting circles. In my infantry days I carried a Russell and likewise still hasn’t left my belt.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am glad there are so many options and opinions out there and in some way, the Ultimate Knife can be a personal choice, just like the caliber.

Looking around, the most suitable candidate I have found so far is this:

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...fm?product=858

Ultra high carbon blade (64 HRC) , elegant handle with not too much flare and a solid European history behind it.

Wondering if anyone has used one.

Yours in good hunting,

Chukar Hunter
Your link is bust. Which knife are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 07:13 PM

nice
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Banned

Very informative thread. Made my wallet cringe though! Haha

I have very basic hunting knives compared to many here. Outdoor edge swingblade and a gerber. Maybe its time to make an investment in a rock solid knife! Rinella uses this neat benchmade altitude, looks lightweight and if its anything like my benchmade folder its probably high quality steel.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:26 AM

I've never went wrong with my Finnish Mora.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:23 PM

I’ve found that a carpenters knife works best for me.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Your link is bust. Which knife are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Roselli UHC Hunting knife....
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
sadly not wood handles - but stacked leather and VERY nice...

Have a look at Falkniven Northern Lite collection.

I love my Frej. (NL4)

All FN are nice. I just dont like the concave shape of the blade as its a bitch to sharpen.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
There is a BC knife company that produces excellent knives and l would suggest that you take a look at what they offer. The North Arm knife company is a father/son operation and l can attest to the quality of their hunting knife and filleting knife. They do have a website complete with video displays showing how their knives are produced. Good luck.
I have a North Arm Lynx (their drop point hunter) as well and with it my search is over. Great design, top notch materials, everything is just right about it. Didn't even need a strop after the first deer with it. The only thing is this thread is about the ultimate hunting knife, and their design is very plain/functional. If you want beauty those Crotts knives posted by Coiloil37 are as gentlemanly as it gets.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
All FN are nice. I just dont like the concave shape of the blade as its a bitch to sharpen.

Fallkniven have convex blades. Concave would be hollow ground. Convex is great for hard use as it’s got a lot of material behind the edge and not bad in flesh as meat tends to get out of the way when it’s cut. I used an F1 for about 15 years and thought it was great when I had it.
Sharpening convex is a skill like any other sharpening. When I had to sharpen my fallkniven I used a mouse pad with sand paper. Now the only convex blade I’ve got is my gransfors bruk hatchet and I sharpen it on a mouse pad as well then finish on a strop.

This thread got me thinking about that one that got away. I broke down and since that last post have contacted Dan. He’s building me another semi skinner. I’m going whole hog this time... S90v steel, mammoth ivory, thumb notches, red liners, mosaic pins, tapered tang, stainless lanyard tube and again I added 1/2” to the handle. Should be my definition of a ultimate hunting knife. He had to order the steel as he doesn’t work S90v as often and the ivory he’s got didn’t turn my crank like the previous tusk but I’m certainly looking forward to the finished product. I really like the blue and green in a tusk but these are the scales he’s got and they’re a little light on blue and green. I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks but I know he’s never built an ugly knife.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 10-14-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:58 AM

I have many custom knives hand built through various knife makers and many production knives. I have three that stand out and one of them is Grohman. It’s the most copied bush knife for a reason, design and ergonomics are the beat.
For me a good skinning knife should have.a swept up blade, thumb jimping on top of the blade, and no finger cut outs.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Grohmann original, made in Canada, eh.
This is the best designed knife ever imo!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Very informative thread. Made my wallet cringe though! Haha

I have very basic hunting knives compared to many here. Outdoor edge swingblade and a gerber. Maybe its time to make an investment in a rock solid knife! Rinella uses this neat benchmade altitude, looks lightweight and if its anything like my benchmade folder its probably high quality steel.
Well at today's warburg gunshow I ran into a guy that made some pretty nice knives. https://bellavancecustomknives.com/ if I figure out how to post pictures I'll post up the nice new knife I bought (inspired by this thread lol)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I’ve got a bench made it’s unbelievable sharp but I’ve got big hands and it doesn’t fit all that good nice knife though. I pack it and a cutco knife much like the picture rubber doesn’t slip fights perfect very sharp and I don’t loose it when I put it down. I may have lost a few along the way lol. I only ever use drop points for hunting purposes.

I also use a Cutco. Great knife, lifetime warranty and free sharpening when required. I used mine for 10 years, I sent it to them and they sent it back like new. If you want nice looking instead of generic looking Cutco has a beauty hunting knife available. Check their website.

LB
Old 10-16-2018, 03:26 PM

I'm no knife connoisseur but I've used the $400+ knives and always tend to go back to my old fixed blade Buck knife.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:17 PM

Default Looking for the ultimate hunting knife

Well like I said. This thread got me all excited to build my definition of ultimate. I flew home from Oz today for a month off and she was here waiting for me. I’m not sure how Dan got Canada post to get it from the border to my door but it made it.

Had to choose different scales then what I posted a picture of in my last post because of the tapered tang

I did a vertical and horizontal sheath.

Now off to wainwright tomorrow to get some moose blood on it.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 PM

There is a shave shop called Kent of Inglewood in Edmonton and Calgary that carries a few nice blades. They have shaving razors to hunting knives and axes.
They have some Japanese straight razors that would be nice for clean skinning pelts and some nice fixed blade Japanese hunting blades that looked good enough to shave with. Look in their shop category.

https://www.kentofinglewood.com
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 PM

In 30-plus years of guiding I've used just about every knife out there. Some were better than others, but nothing beats the knives butchers use every single day. There are a few good brands, including Victorinox, and Hinkle. I carry a boning style knife, a deep bellied skinner, a Havalon for caping, and the Officers model Victorinox pocketknife, and thats it. In an average year I will do 4-5 moose, plus other game like bears, and caribou.These knives work, and once you try one you will never go back to a normal hunting knife. The nice thing about the butchers knives is they are thin enough that they get razor sharp very easily.