Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Another thread got me wondering what powers a premier actually has that could be used to bring pressure to bear in hopes of getting a pipeline built? This is an honest question about our gov't structure, as opposed to politics. By all means chime in, but do not mention names or parties. I am not interested in individual politicians, but I am interested in learning strategies a provincial premier has at their disposal.
Or.
What powers does a premier have to withhold the taxes collected within their province and not send to Ottawa? Does a premier have any power over the CRA?

BW
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Only Quebec collects it's own provincial taxes (residents there complete two tax forms, fed and prov). The CRA collects all other provinces provincial taxes for them...did you not notice you only file a federal return? So there is no way for a province to 'withhold' taxes from the CRA, as they already did the collecting, thank you very much. Only option is to collect like Quebec does. Good luck with that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Or.

What powers does a premier have to withhold the taxes collected within their province and not send to Ottawa? Does a premier have any power over the CRA?

BW
That's my big question. Until it is $, we are urinating quietly into the wind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 02-18-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Only Quebec collects it's own provincial taxes (residents there complete two tax forms, fed and prov). The CRA collects all other provinces provincial taxes for them...did you not notice you only file a federal return? So there is no way for a province to 'withhold' taxes from the CRA, as they already did the collecting, thank you very much. Only option is to collect like Quebec does. Good luck with that.
How does a province get the powers that Quebec has? Do we need to get serious about separation in the west?

BW