Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Calling Lake

Anyone been out to Calling Lake recently? Thinking of making the trek up on Sunday or Monday. Never been before just looking to see what the snow conditions are like to see if I can get around with the pick up 4x4 of course.

BW
Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Not sure how it’s been recently in the cold. But it was a slow start at calling.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Not sure how it’s been recently in the cold. But it was a slow start at calling.
Not really worried about the fishing just want to be able to get around and try a new to me lake.

BW
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM

You should be okay on all but the East side. East you can still travel but it ain't easy, even for a 4x4 truck.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM

Was working on the Cabin in the Townsite last Saturday / Sunday. Very cold, no one was out. there was a further 8 inches of snow in the yard. Virgin snow is about knee deep or more in the drifts. East side will be bad because of prevailing westerly winds at Calling. A Snowmobile may be a safer way to get around.

There is some patches of flood ice out in the middle a couple hundred yards long.

Some smaller heaves of a couple foot two weeks ago. As for fishing, the fish have been hitting, but very light bite other than early / late. Very frustrating to hook 10 fish and only land 4.

Walleye are in really nice shape this winter.

Drewski
Old 02-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

I've never been there before. I'm interested in catching a burbot or two, any one want to share their spots. If I catch a walleye, I'll consider myself lucky.

If the weather cooperates I'll be heading up on Monday morning.

BW
Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Bigwoodsman,

If its burbot you want ....

North of the town site, Ben Auger Park / Sucker Creek. Go out about 400 yards, drill a pile of holes shallow to deep, minnow and jig / Walleye Flyer / Wetaskiwin Wizard / chartreuse Kroc off the bottom. This is a stair step ledge area, drops are about 4 feet each time.

OR get on by the Tower, go past Calling River, north to the point at Two Mile Creek, BEFORE the Mitchell's Log Cabin, and before the water plant (light Green Building on Shore0. Follow the point out for about 200 yards to 1 mile. Rocky reef about 6 - 15 FOW with drop off to the south.

You will get your walleye, and probably some pretty good Pike action as well.

Bonus of the fishing the point at Two Mile, is that there is scattered perch on the deeper side, and the odd whitefish.

If you want to go on at the PP and run up to VW Point, there is some good areas as well obviously.

Drewski
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Bigwoodsman,

If its burbot you want ....

North of the town site, Ben Auger Park / Sucker Creek. Go out about 400 yards, drill a pile of holes shallow to deep, minnow and jig / Walleye Flyer / Wetaskiwin Wizard / chartreuse Kroc off the bottom. This is a stair step ledge area, drops are about 4 feet each time.

OR get on by the Tower, go past Calling River, north to the point at Two Mile Creek, BEFORE the Mitchell's Log Cabin, and before the water plant (light Green Building on Shore0. Follow the point out for about 200 yards to 1 mile. Rocky reef about 6 - 15 FOW with drop off to the south.

You will get your walleye, and probably some pretty good Pike action as well.

Bonus of the fishing the point at Two Mile, is that there is scattered perch on the deeper side, and the odd whitefish.

If you want to go on at the PP and run up to VW Point, there is some good areas as well obviously.

Drewski
Perfect. Thanks Drewski!

BW
Old 02-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Perfect. Thanks Drewski!

BW
How did you make out?

I was out on Sunday. Pretty cold but zero wind so it was nice. Fishing was slower than usual but I did just fine. Hooked either the same pike twice or two separate pike that were huge. I was fishing for walleye so I didn't have a leader. First one felt very solid and was on for 20 seconds. 2nd one though fought really hard. After a bit I got it up under the hole. I'd estimate 15-16 lb range. Really fat. And then turned and broke off...sigh
Landed a few small walleye, a hammer handle and then capped it off with this:

54.5 cm

Very tasty supper!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Plans fell through for today.
Heading out on Saturday for the day. How much snow is on the ice?

BW
Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Plans fell through for today.
Heading out on Saturday for the day. How much snow is on the ice?

BW
It is about the same as I mentioned last week. About 6-8 inches on the lake in terms of the South and West side. East side is blown in and varies up to 12 inches so travel there is tough. Otherwise lots of 4x4s out on Sunday. If you have any kind of decent clearance, your just fine. Ice is about 21 inches on average.

That said, there is some snow forecasted but it sounds like it should miss the Athabaska area...which is a surprise so far. Just keep on eye on the forecast
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
It is about the same as I mentioned last week. About 6-8 inches on the lake in terms of the South and West side. East side is blown in and varies up to 12 inches so travel there is tough. Otherwise lots of 4x4s out on Sunday. If you have any kind of decent clearance, your just fine. Ice is about 21 inches on average.

That said, there is some snow forecasted but it sounds like it should miss the Athabaska area...which is a surprise so far. Just keep on eye on the forecast
Thanks for the info. I'll be up there Saturday morning for the day.

BW
Old 02-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
How did you make out?

I was out on Sunday. Pretty cold but zero wind so it was nice. Fishing was slower than usual but I did just fine. Hooked either the same pike twice or two separate pike that were huge. I was fishing for walleye so I didn't have a leader. First one felt very solid and was on for 20 seconds. 2nd one though fought really hard. After a bit I got it up under the hole. I'd estimate 15-16 lb range. Really fat. And then turned and broke off...sigh
Landed a few small walleye, a hammer handle and then capped it off with this:

54.5 cm

Very tasty supper!

Nice healthy looking walleye!
Thanx for the post.

Hoping to get my Dad up to Lakeland in the next couple weeks for a day or two and see what we can catch. Sounds like quite a few lakes in the area have heavy snow on East end access points.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM

Hi guys, so what would be best access point to get on the lake in your opinion if east side is blown in? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Hi guys, so what would be best access point to get on the lake in your opinion if east side is blown in? Thanks!
Provincial Park on the South side. Currently, nicely plowed from the highway including both parking lots. Warning, the further and main launch has a huge ice heave over the launch. It has pushed up so you tires fall in between...about a 6 inch fall... not fun. Use the first entrance and parking lot and smooth sailing.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Provincial Park on the South side. Currently, nicely plowed from the highway including both parking lots. Warning, the further and main launch has a huge ice heave over the launch. It has pushed up so you tires fall in between...about a 6 inch fall... not fun. Use the first entrance and parking lot and smooth sailing.
10-4 Snap, thanks I appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM

My plans for this weekend got cancelled this afternoon when the girlfriend got a call that her dads in the hospital and not expected to survive the night. It’s been expected but still difficult to accept. It will be at least another week or two tlll I can get out.

BW
Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your gf's dad BigWoods. Anyone have an update on Calling? Headed there this weekend and curious if conditions have changes etc.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:50 PM

On Calling Lake right now.
All the stars aligned and I got out of the city before things changed. Beauty drive up this morning. Saw moose, deer, and what I think was a fisher.

Lots of snow but likes been mentioned if you have 4 wheel drive not a big deal. No if the fish would cooperate. It’ll still be a great day even if they don’t.

-20 windchill right now. Even with the heat of the sun.

BW
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Pretty cold on the weekend when the heat of the sun left in the afternoon.

Drive on at first parking lot at PP was good. Fairly hard crust of snow making free wheeling a path a bit tougher. Staying on the path was not easy either though.

Snow on West side is about 1 foot deep. East side MUCH deeper.

Fish are there but not super aggressive. Mid day deep water seemed to be the answer. Friend fished Sunday and did very well.

Spoke to a guy who caught a 14 pd Burbot last week. Lots of too big walleye were being caught.

Hopefully warmer days ahead. Very hard to fish and move around in -20C.

Drewski