Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Whitefish

Hey Fellas,

I have been out to Pigeon Lake almost every other weekend since Christmas just looking for whitefish. I have never caught one before and so far haven't even seen one. Anyone else having any luck catching them in Pigeon this year? Just looking for hope, if they are there I am determined to catch one but maybe I'm wasting my time.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM

They are in there, I find they could be in one area of the lake one day and different area next day...
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM

This year has been the worst I have ever seen. Almost no one is seeing or catching them
Old 02-07-2019, 06:32 PM

If your not stuck on pigeon, I haven’t been skunked at sylvan yet. The average whitefish size is smaller than both hull and pigeon though. But you’ll catch more.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Thanks Talking Moose, I am only at Pigeon because I still have a walleye tag to fill. I think one more trip to Pigeon to fill that tag and then I will start trying sylvan. Thanks for the info!

I agree with you Mitch, the fishing seems really slow this year. Maybe as the spring approaches the action will pick up.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Have the walleye been bitting ,I still have 2 class b tags to fill also .
Old 02-09-2019, 12:24 PM

The walleye bite well at the light change times, sunrise & sunset... the daytime bite at Pigeon is very weak. So that’s when you can change it up & chase the whites. Aim deep. We’re averaging 5-6 lbs fish this year. Some days have been hotter than others but that’s just whitefish fishing at Pigeon.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info! That has been my pattern too. Hit the usual walleye spots at dawn/dusk, maybe catch one. Then go searching for whitefish. I feel like I have been looking all over the lake. Would you say near structure or could they be out in the open?

I haven't been out since the cold. Both having one and it being cold lol.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 PM

I haven’t been finding them near any structure
Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Whitefish

We have been seeing them at 25 feet with no structure and close to a drop off. More than we usually see this year. They just don't always bite. Dogfish
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM

It's a day to day thing...I would see them off the provincial park drop off cruising about halfway down in that 25 foot range and figured they were just at the same 10 to 12 foot range because they came off the flats at that level but never could get them to bite at that suspended level. One day we found a buncha hawg whites on a rocky spot closer to shore in 7 or 8 ft all day long and caught them at will for a couple days...figured we cracked the code but boy were we wrong....but I still fish that way hoping it happens again because they were wicked looking jumbo whites and we got them fishing like you were at guĺl or sylvan. Theres another bunch that fishes them deep like they do in Ontario on brass or silver or copper cast masters or similar hooks, unbaited and rip jigged deep with flashers like you were fishin lake trout but I don't have the patience or faith in that technique but it might be the answer. The fish are there no doubt about it.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Thanks all for the encouragement fellas. Im glad the whites are still in there, maybe as the spring gets closer the bite will pick up. A common theme so far is a rocky bottom, so far all the places Ive fished have had a sandy bottom so next time I will start looking for the rocks. Its still anybodys guess what depth they will be at.

Thanks Dogfish, I think I am starting to put a picture together of where I might go look next.

Pikeman06, Ive done the same thing and go back to the same spot year after year where I had a killer bite, hoping it will happen again. Its funny how one awesome day gets a guy hooked for life!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
Thanks all for the encouragement fellas. Im glad the whites are still in there, maybe as the spring gets closer the bite will pick up. A common theme so far is a rocky bottom, so far all the places Ive fished have had a sandy bottom so next time I will start looking for the rocks. Its still anybodys guess what depth they will be at.

Thanks Dogfish, I think I am starting to put a picture together of where I might go look next.

Pikeman06, Ive done the same thing and go back to the same spot year after year where I had a killer bite, hoping it will happen again. Its funny how one awesome day gets a guy hooked for life!
Right now, find where the burbot are spawning. They will be there. Or very close by.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Right now, find where the burbot are spawning. They will be there. Or very close by.
No kidding! But I can't find the burbot ... that is like two losses
Old 02-14-2019, 02:12 PM

On the east side of Pigeon about mid lake there is a big bluff or hill and there is a gravel bar that runs out for quite some distance to deep water.

Go follow it out about 1/4 mile and try there.

Drewski