Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Default Recommend me a front rest for bench shooting

I am currently using Cabela's sand bags. I have to squeeze the front bag for minor elevation changes. A real PITA as anyone that has used bags must know. As with any product I am sure their are poor, better and best models out there. I am thinking I will continue using a sand bag for the rear rest.

Would this be a good quality rest? https://www.ebay.com/p/Be1005-Bald-E...num/1012250981

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 06-14-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 AM

I've been using this Hopps rest for 30 years its all I need, easy to adjust for elevation and solid. I use wood blocks under my back sand bag for different rifles.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 AM

I just ordered a scinclair rest of brownells yesterday, heard lots of good things about it, will reort back when it arrives
Old 06-14-2017, 11:49 AM

You want tight groups get a Sinclair rest and edgewood bags.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
You want tight groups get a Sinclair rest and edgewood bags.
Out of my budget.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Not sure what your budget is but I've been using a Caldwell Rock BR rest. Don't confuse it with Caldwell's "The Rock" rest that's sold at Cabela's for $150 because it's a step up from that one.
I bought mine 3 years ago and it was right around the $225 CAD mark plus taxes, shipping was free from Amazon. I got it from Amazon because I couldn't find one locally and they had the best online price at the time. I've found it to be a very nice rest. Easy to set up and easy to adjust. It has fine adjust features for both elevation and windage. Rest is also very solid once everything is tightened down.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
Not sure what your budget is but I've been using a Caldwell Rock BR rest. Don't confuse it with Caldwell's "The Rock" rest that's sold at Cabela's for $150 because it's a step up from that one.
I bought mine 3 years ago and it was right around the $225 CAD mark plus taxes, shipping was free from Amazon. I got it from Amazon because I couldn't find one locally and they had the best online price at the time. I've found it to be a very nice rest. Easy to set up and easy to adjust. It has fine adjust features for both elevation and windage. Rest is also very solid once everything is tightened down.

Is this the one you are talking about?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM

I have a 'Rock BR' which is larger and has traverse adjustment,
and several short Harris HES-BRM bipods with added lockable swivel levers.
but the rest I always keep in my range bag and most often use is a SmartReloader VBSR008-10
http://www.redsgear.com/smartreloade...ight-rest.html
IIIRC, I paid < $60 including USPS postal and CBSA fee, delivered from the US.
IIRC, Rusty Wood had some for ~CA$30? but they are no longer listed on their site.

The typical Chinese cast iron needed a bit of cleanup to smooth the casting line, debur & dehorn,
and I drilled and tapped the base so I could mount the lock handle on the opposite side.
I also welded side wings to better secure the front bag.

The included free little bubble level has become invaluable for leveling actions in a gun vise for servicing,
I wish I could find several more as they are easy to misplace in my shop.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM

I bought a Caldwell Lead Sled Plus from Cabela's a couple years back when they were on sale. I used my CT fold out table as a bench which was not the greatest but the Lead Sled was sure nice to use. Cost friendly too.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Smile I've tried a number of the metal ones but the best one so far is...

$2.oo Kitty litter bags from the dollar store. They are about the correct size, I can move them with one hand, water proof, cheap and I can always use them for the purpose for which the were designed.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubuun View Post
I just ordered a scinclair rest of brownells yesterday, heard lots of good things about it, will reort back when it arrives
there is machinist in the Blackie area that makes knock offs off the hi-end sinclairs et cetera - I just cannot remember is name - for a 1/3 of the usd cost in cdn$ - I have been exceptionally happy with his product - he had a booth at the CY Gun Show a few years back
Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
there is machinist in the Blackie area that makes knock offs off the hi-end sinclairs et cetera - I just cannot remember is name - for a 1/3 of the usd cost in cdn$ - I have been exceptionally happy with his product - he had a booth at the CY Gun Show a few years back
Is there a team JW sticker on it?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Is this the one you are talking about?
This is the one;

Caldwell Rock BR Rest
Old 06-14-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am currently using Cabela's sand bags. I have to squeeze the front bag for minor elevation changes. A real PITA as anyone that has used bags must know. As with any product I am sure their are poor, better and best models out there. I am thinking I will continue using a sand bag for the rear rest.

A friend has this one. Harder to find but it's one of the best rests I've shot from. Obviously easy to store, carry, and set up. Slightly rectangular in shape with different width channel cuts so very easy to find one that works best for you. Don't let the high density foam put you off. It's rugged enough. Won't scratch the hood of your truck when you're chocolate bar hunting either.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/stalking-...st-309910.html

I have various Caldwell's and like you I find the sand or corn fibre versions for the fore-stock lose their shape after time and you're constantly pinching and reshaping them to get proper elevations and squeeze. Pain in the arse.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 PM

PM
Duceman if he has not already reached out to you.
I've seen his rests they are very nice. If I ever get more serious about shooting I'll be buying one of his.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post

X2.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Is there a team JW sticker on it?
no, nothing
Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
no, nothing
My guess is that's who it come from. Duceman on this forum builds them.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Rempel built these ones a long time ago. Weighs 50 lbs. Excellent front rest.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
My guess is that's who it come from. Duceman on this forum builds them.
Yup, he makes awesome front rests amongst other interesting things for serious shooters.