Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 06:34 PM

The Chinese are capable of making good stuff, but they are mostly filling the void of the worlds appetite of cheap stuff. If we as consumers are discerning about what we buy and let our dollars do the talking, quality will improve. Sadly most of us are most interested in the bottom line without looking at the long range picture. The Chinese are just filling a need.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM

What craps me off lately is how sneaky all this 'Made In' stuff
is becoming now and leaving one with no clue on where it's made/comes
from, take this Package of Beef Jerky i bought yesterday as eg:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg where U from.jpg (37.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
In the 80's 90's i think Japan was good stuff..heck i've owned
nothing but Honda dirtbikes..they run forever..junk?...nope!
Not the same in the early 50's, but i agree with you on the Honda products.

I ran Honda mowers commercial on landscape maintenance. We cut enough grass to wear out 4 sets of wheels every season and those mowers lasted 4-5 seasons with several different operators , some of whom were not as smart as the mowers.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not sure what any of this has to with the Donald, unless he's taking Bushes place as the person who could do nothing right. He's criticized for everything from a word he used to how much ice cream he had in his bowl. I remember the Kennedy assassination and now I can tell my grandkids, I was there back in 2017 when the president of the most powerful nation in the world had ....not one... but two scoops of ice cream ...and the crowds went wild.

We didn't wake up one morning, turn on Fox news and find out that suddenly a ton of the stuff we use every day was made in some foreign country with atrocious human rights practices. It started out small like a cancer, and grew until the cure my be worse than the disease.

Back in the day when I was a kid, the great war WWII had ended only 10 years before. Japanese were rebuilding and their products began to appear on sporting goods and hardware tool shelves. They were cheaapp!!! and They were junk. Bolts whose heads could be twisted off by a 10 or 12 year old kid with a Japanese wrench, if the wrench didn't bend first. "Don't buy Japanese" was a lesson I learned as fast as that one about ****ing on the electric fence, or holding on to the spark plug wire on my uncle's outboard.

Today things are different. There are quality products from offshore, but it is still buyer beware. We have almost been fed the idea that because some products are good and cheaper, all must be, so the new fridge only lasts 18 months instead of 18 years.

It is time to view the global economy with a discerning eye. The economics are tied tightly to the politics. Redistribution of wealth is the target for today and those who are pushing the hardest have the least skin in the game and stand to benefit the most.

Rug bumped the hand wringers who wail about Global warming and alternate energy while they do little or nothing in their personal life to affect the change they feel is needed. The mice thinking belling the cat is a great idea, but none of the little rats will step up to do the job.

I try to buy made in Canada first, but it's not always possible. Looks at computers.......you know the ones that are looking at you...that you bought from a country that isn't Canada. { conspiracy theorists may see something moving there lol}.

How's our east coast fishery doing these last 40 -50 years? I do not buy fish that are processed in China, India or any other place where the mean daytime temp is above 85 F. Matter of fact I can't think of any foodstuff I buy from offshore. The fish is caught off our shores and shipped across the world to be processed and shipped back. The product is still not cheap. Why not?

Speaking of east coast fisheries, when I was in grade school, about gr.3 or 4, we brought canned goods etc from home to get a look at the Canada's place on the global processing stage. There were several different fish products. sardines herring, crab etc. all without exception were processed on the east coast.

As a teen I worked on farms picking produce for not much money. Those tomatoes, cukes, corn etc were all locally processed and the finished product shipped around the world. Heinz no longer makes ketchup or pickles there. Green giant moved their plant year ago. How do you buy local???

I picked up a can of Dole pineapple......icon of Hawaii ... processed in Asia.

Try to find shoes, or shirts made in Canada.

Trade is essential, but so is common sense. Mostly on this forum it's either/or. It has to be one extreme or the other.
Buddy, well summed up!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

Canadian made clothing list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...othing_a_list/
Old 06-04-2017, 07:04 PM

This topic brought to mind one of the great laughs I've had over the years. Back in 2006 I needed a small utility trailer for work, just a little 12 foot single axle flat deck. I ended up buying a PJ trailer from one of the local lots, had a big red white and blue sticker on the frame saying 'Made The American Way'.

On the inside, by the VIN number.....'Made In Mexico'.

How funny is that right there?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not sure what any of this has to with the Donald, unless he's taking Bushes place as the person who could do nothing right. He's criticized for everything from a word he used to how much ice cream he had in his bowl. I remember the Kennedy assassination and now I can tell my grandkids, I was there back in 2017 when the president of the most powerful nation in the world had ....not one... but two scoops of ice cream ...and the crowds went wild.

We didn't wake up one morning, turn on Fox news and find out that suddenly a ton of the stuff we use every day was made in some foreign country with atrocious human rights practices. It started out small like a cancer, and grew until the cure my be worse than the disease.

Back in the day when I was a kid, the great war WWII had ended only 10 years before. Japanese were rebuilding and their products began to appear on sporting goods and hardware tool shelves. They were cheaapp!!! and They were junk. Bolts whose heads could be twisted off by a 10 or 12 year old kid with a Japanese wrench, if the wrench didn't bend first. "Don't buy Japanese" was a lesson I learned as fast as that one about ****ing on the electric fence, or holding on to the spark plug wire on my uncle's outboard.

Today things are different. There are quality products from offshore, but it is still buyer beware. We have almost been fed the idea that because some products are good and cheaper, all must be, so the new fridge only lasts 18 months instead of 18 years.

It is time to view the global economy with a discerning eye. The economics are tied tightly to the politics. Redistribution of wealth is the target for today and those who are pushing the hardest have the least skin in the game and stand to benefit the most.

Rug bumped the hand wringers who wail about Global warming and alternate energy while they do little or nothing in their personal life to affect the change they feel is needed. The mice thinking belling the cat is a great idea, but none of the little rats will step up to do the job.

I try to buy made in Canada first, but it's not always possible. Looks at computers.......you know the ones that are looking at you...that you bought from a country that isn't Canada. { conspiracy theorists may see something moving there lol}.

How's our east coast fishery doing these last 40 -50 years? I do not buy fish that are processed in China, India or any other place where the mean daytime temp is above 85 F. Matter of fact I can't think of any foodstuff I buy from offshore. The fish is caught off our shores and shipped across the world to be processed and shipped back. The product is still not cheap. Why not?

Speaking of east coast fisheries, when I was in grade school, about gr.3 or 4, we brought canned goods etc from home to get a look at the Canada's place on the global processing stage. There were several different fish products. sardines herring, crab etc. all without exception were processed on the east coast.

As a teen I worked on farms picking produce for not much money. Those tomatoes, cukes, corn etc were all locally processed and the finished product shipped around the world. Heinz no longer makes ketchup or pickles there. Green giant moved their plant year ago. How do you buy local???

I picked up a can of Dole pineapple......icon of Hawaii ... processed in Asia.

Try to find shoes, or shirts made in Canada.

Trade is essential, but so is common sense. Mostly on this forum it's either/or. It has to be one extreme or the other.
Yup! I am probably one of the few that would support a higher tariff. Everything would cost more from certain regions, but it would make the playing field more level. Isn't that what it's for??

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Walmart business model.
Not always. Used to be all made in the U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
In the 80's 90's i think Japan was good stuff..heck i've owned
nothing but Honda dirtbikes..they run forever..junk?...nope!
Again; not always. There used to be a saying (still is with some ..ahem.. seasoned folk): "Jap crap".

Now we are seeing a bit of the same thing with Chinese products. They are getting better as the market demands in some cases.

Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Yup! I am probably one of the few that would support a higher tariff. Everything would cost more from certain regions, but it would make the playing field more level. Isn't that what it's for??
So your OK with the higher tariff charged on drywall now?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The Chinese are capable of making good stuff, but they are mostly filling the void of the worlds appetite of cheap stuff. If we as consumers are discerning about what we buy and let our dollars do the talking, quality will improve. Sadly most of us are most interested in the bottom line without looking at the long range picture. The Chinese are just filling a need.
I was at a point when I was trying not to buy Chinese stuff about 10 years ago. In the market for a new helmet, I checked out the big name top quality stuff. Just couldn't pull the trigger on one for $900. Found a Chinese one, that is 80% as nice for about about 35-40% of the price. Couldn't say no, it is a good lid.

I try to buy more Canadian, and U.S. stuff. Seeing as how U.S. is a pretty big trading partner, supporting them is indirectly beneficial for us.

Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM

I personally would rather have the factories and smog in places I don't intend on being. I like breathing without the need for a mask. I'll buy the junk if I need it, but I don't want factories making plastic and crap in my backyard !!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
So your OK with the higher tariff charged on drywall now?
Is it made in "PRC", and is the byproduct more Canadian drywall?

If the answer to both is in the affirmative, then I'd say: "yes".

Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I personally would rather have the factories and smog in places I don't intend on being. I like breathing without the need for a mask. I'll buy the junk if I need it, but I don't want factories making plastic and crap in my backyard !!
Well, we're at the point now (maybe always) where we are a global community. At least in the sense that what happens across the world affects us. What is put in the air over there can travel.

We can do it over here with lower environmental impact, and with no health dangers. Better for us. Why wouldn't we?

Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Is it made in "PRC", and is the byproduct more Canadian drywall?

If the answer to both is in the affirmative, then I'd say: "yes".
The tariff is on drywall made in the USA. Still in favour of it?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
I always look at labels..
even grocery shopping I will not by products made in China and India..
Really.
So tell me, what North American made electronic device are you communicating to us with?
Do you own a camera...aren't any made in N.A. You could use. Leica (German), but that would set you back $10,000.00
There was a piece on CBC a year or so ago...if all the electronics and sourced parts in your American made F-150 were made in the U.S. the base price would touch $75,000.00
On stuff I value and know I want to keep I'll pay extra to buy made in U.S. or Canada...but there's a whole lot of stuff that I need but will seldom use that I'm quite happy to pay 'made in China' prices.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 PM

The most surprising part of this thread is that the op just had this revelation. It's been like this for at least twenty years.

The world is globalized. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The most surprising part of this thread is that the op just had this revelation. It's been like this for at least twenty years.

The world is globalized. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle.
Well sns2, I don't agree because with the right attitude we can overcome the stupidity of our politicians and like Trump is doing, and he is trying to rectify this dismal situation in the USA, we can do it in Canada too.

I personally believe that we have the energy, brain power and attitude to get it back in our corner as well.

Quitting is never an option. Failure Sucks the big one!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
In light of what is happening world wide I am curious to know who wants to start seeing products Made In The USA and Canada again?

Bought a Sunbeam Fan today and was shocked and surprised that it was made in China, what does that do for us North Americans workers?

It's about time that we become the Powerhouse of the world again, just like the good old days and start manufacturing our own stuff again, not the cheap stuff from overseas!

Your thoughts?
Of course everybody would like to see more manufacturing in North America. But I do find it ironic that you seem to be complaining about the cheap stuff, which you supported by purchasing. And its not necessarily cheap because its made overseas, they can make quality just as easily as we can, its the specs its made too.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Each to his own.

If I could find made in Canada, I'd buy it.

You should also give your head a shake and quit looking at trump as your hero. He just screwed the Canadian taxpayer in the ear to the tune of $860 million over softwood lumber. And, he's only just begun.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Each to his own.

You should also give your head a shake and quit looking at trump as your hero. He just screwed the Canadian taxpayer in the ear to the tune of $860 million over softwood lumber. And, he's only just begun.

Give my head a shake, I have read some of your posts, maybe I am wrong but are you a teacher?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well sns2, I don't agree because with the right attitude we can overcome the stupidity of our politicians and like Trump is doing, and he is trying to rectify this dismal situation in the USA, we can do it in Canada too.

I personally believe that we have the energy, brain power and attitude to get it back in our corner as well.

Quitting is never an option. Failure Sucks the big one!
You realize that your position is much like the extreme left back in the 1960's and 1970's, right? See what James Laxter and the Waffle Caucus of the NDP wanted. The only difference is they wanted all companies to be state owned, but they certainly preached nationalism first and foremost.

"The major threat to Canadian survival today is American control of the Canadian economy. The major issue of our times is not national unity but national survival."

Sounds a lot like Trump, doesn't it?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Each to his own.

If I can find a comparable product built in Canada for a reasonable price, I will support the Canadian company, but I won't accept a lesser product; or pay way more for a comparable product, just to buy Canadian.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
So you are saying we are destine to a life of buying cheap products that have limited lifespans because we are too stupid to recognize quality?
You could have bought a Dyson, yet you didn't.......

And maybe substitute "we are" for "I am", not everybody buys cheap junk.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Give my head a shake, I have read some of your posts, maybe I am wrong but are you a teacher?
Yes, indeed I am. Many of your posts remind me of remedial students who skipped the tutoring sessions their parents paid for.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
You realize that your position is much like the extreme left back in the 1960's and 1970's, right? See what James Laxter and the Waffle Caucus of the NDP wanted. The only difference is they wanted all companies to be state owned, but they certainly preached nationalism first and foremost.

"The major threat to Canadian survival today is American control of the Canadian economy. The major issue of our times is not national unity but national survival."

Sounds a lot like Trump, doesn't it?
I am Canadian, I believe in Canada, I believe that we should manufacture our own stuff and stop being so reliant on others to do it for us, is that bad?

We are on a very slippery slope!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I can find a comparable product built in Canada for a reasonable price, I will support the Canadian company, but I won't accept a lesser product; or pay way more for a comparable product, just to buy Canadian.
I'm like you, but finding Canadian products is an increasingly difficult challenge.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
You could have bought a Dyson, yet you didn't.......

And maybe substitute "we are" for "I am", not everybody buys cheap junk.
I have two Dysons. Those units are unreal

Old 06-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, indeed I am. Many of your posts remind me of remedial students who skipped the tutoring sessions their parents paid for.

That is funny, good one sns2! hehe
Old 06-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I am Canadian, I believe in Canada, I believe that we should manufacture our own stuff and stop being so reliant on others to do it for us, is that bad?

We are on a very slippery slope!
I agree with the first part. I'm no supporter of shipping raw products (wood, oil, gas, etc.) to other countries to be refined and then bought back by Canadians for example. But what, in your mind, is the ultimate consequence of buying a $30 fan overseas? There are lots of countries, Switzerland for example, that have a thriving economy and I suspect have little to no manufacturing.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks.

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but it's not always possible to turn back the clock, and sometimes those good old days you yearn for weren't all that good.

Finally, what is wrong with a husband in China or India having a manufacturing jib which allows his family to enjoy some of the creature comforts we take for granted.