Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Banned

Default Best Chinese Food

Anyone know where there is exquisite Chinese food in either Edmonton or Calgary?

Not the Canadianized version but rather the real stuff. Been to China twice and other than Richmond area in Vancouver cannot find any good food.

Kan Han is ok in Calgary. But just so.

Ralph's old hangout not bad but not correct.

Forget the places like Silver Dragon. It's like small town Sask style.

In Edmonton there was a place just north of the new hockey rink but not exquisite

So where is the good stuff?
Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Szechuan Restaurant at 320 16 Ave NW is from all reviews Ive read and word of mouth very good. Also, here is a thread on Calgary reddit that might give you some more ideas...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...od_in_calgary/

Edit: Szechuan Restaurant leans toward spicy so beware.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM

In Calgary. My family's Chinese and we consider these to be some of the better ones in the city: China Palace in Thorncliffe right beside Center St (right beside a sports bar and a Vietnamese restaurant), Sun Chiu Kee BBQ right beside Center St between 14 and 13 Ave NW (and right beside the Lambda Supermarket), and Calgary Court Restaurant in Chinatown for some great Hong Kong style cuisine. Also of note is right behind Sun Chiu Kee BBQ is a place called BBQ Express with some of the best Chinese BBQ you can have. Takeout only place, great for lunch or dinner and they load it with tons of meat with rice + sauce for a meal to go.

Also the Regency Palace at the top floor in Dragon City Mall has a great all you can eat Chinese hotpot + buffet. That's dinner only, but the hotpot is very good. Plenty of sauces and broths to choose from, loads of beef, chicken, and pork, vegetables, plus a cooked buffet to choose from (your usual dishes such as sweet and sour pork, fried rice, etc). No idea about their lunch as we don't go there for lunch. Parking's a bit of a pain but at dinner anyway you can park at the James Short Parkade (20 second walk from Dragon City Mall) for $2 and lasts until 6AM next day, or try street parking for the same rate I believe along the river.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Jumbo Dim Sum

http://jumbodimsum.ca/

Ask for their real chinese menu when you are seated. Their "Canadian" chinese food is really good as well.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:54 PM

There is no authentic Chinese food in Alberta because restaurant operations here are bound by health codes not to mention ingredient availability
Old 06-04-2017, 10:45 PM
AO Sponsor

I have a Chinese friend who always seems to take me to the Central Grand Restaurant upstairs in this funny little Chinese mall, right at the junction of 16th Ave and Centre Street. Dang, the shrimp wanton things are to die for! Chicken feet, however, you can keep nasty chicken feet, yuck, you know where the things have been? Little teeny pork rib thingys, yum, deep fried squid, yum. Lots weird things there.

Metalwrench, how does the Central Grand measure up to your standards?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
There is no authentic Chinese food in Alberta because restaurant operations here are bound by health codes not to mention ingredient availability
Plus it's against the law to kill cats and sell them as edibles in Canada, although I hear they taste just like chicken hehe
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Banned

In Edmonton Golden rice bowl and Urban China Restaurant
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Varsity

There is a place in Varsity Acres along Shagannapi Trail. Its in the strip mall behind the Shell station. I dont even think the menus are in english. Best I have ever had, and I used to work beside China Town and have eaten in every place there. Hot, fresh and flavorful !

Peking Garden.
Simple, long-running eatery featuring less-common Chinese entrees & dim sum service.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I have a Chinese friend who always seems to take me to the Central Grand Restaurant upstairs in this funny little Chinese mall, right at the junction of 16th Ave and Centre Street. Dang, the shrimp wanton things are to die for! Chicken feet, however, you can keep nasty chicken feet, yuck, you know where the things have been? Little teeny pork rib thingys, yum, deep fried squid, yum. Lots weird things there.

Metalwrench, how does the Central Grand measure up to your standards?
Yeah we like it too. We've never been there for dinner, always lunch. And during lunch their dim sum is pretty good. However it has been at least half a year since we've been there so things may have changed, but we've always had a good experience there. Try their har gow (shrimp dumpling), siu mai (pork dumpling with the yellow wrapping), and zhaliang (rice noodle roll that wraps around fried dough, sprinkled with sesame seeds and dipping sauces are soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame paste).

In the same mall there's a great bakery on the ground floor - their sausage bun is delicious. Also try their fried dough buns if they have any.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Anyone know where there is exquisite Chinese food in either Edmonton or Calgary?

Not the Canadianized version but rather the real stuff. Been to China twice and other than Richmond area in Vancouver cannot find any good food.

In Edmonton there was a place just north of the new hockey rink but not exquisite

Ho Wan in Calgary. Salt and Pepper Squid...to die for
Old 06-05-2017, 03:44 AM

Used to be U and me, or Me N U, centre st downtown Calgary, not sure if it's still there.
But groups shady dudes used to frequent the place in the we hrs.
Food was great but it was best not to look around too much at others in there.

TBark
Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Ho Wan in Calgary. Salt and Pepper Squid...to die for
Absolutely! As good as it gets.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Gone Hunting

Is the hot pot at the Regency Palace the type where you cook your own thinly sliced meat, usually frozen, paper thin slices, in a boiling hot broth at your table? Are there other restaurants where this is served?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Silver Inn, Center st North, Calgary. The cashew chicken in yellow bean sauce is the best i've every had.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM

There's a restaurant in the (now closed down) canadian tire parking lot on 64th ne just west of deerfoot trail. Really good food there.

Can't remember the name of the place. It used to be The Grand Pearl Seafood Restaurant...
Old 06-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Is the hot pot at the Regency Palace the type where you cook your own thinly sliced meat, usually frozen, paper thin slices, in a boiling hot broth at your table? Are there other restaurants where this is served?
Yeah, that's the idea. They have trays full of meat so you can literally grab a plate and load it up with all the meat you want and bring it back to your table.

You can either choose to have one big pot to share in the middle of the table, or go for a table that have individual pots for everybody so everybody can choose their own broths.

They have 10+ different sauces that you can try. I usually like to taste my meat plain after cooking or with a little dip of hoisin sauce.

There are a few other places that do hot pot such as Little Sheep, but in the end I consider Regency Palace to have the best Chinese hot pot due to the added cooked food buffet that's there, all the hot pot items are served buffet style meaning you don't need to tick off a sheet with what you want and wait for a server to come by, the price is decent (mid 20's per person if I recall for both AYCE hot pot and cooked food buffet), and they usually refill the meat pretty quick or at least make sure it doesn't run out.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
The Gee Gong came pretty close, sadly they didn't reopen after the flood

The decor made McDonalds look classy but the food was great. I figured the food most be fairly authentic based on the number of elderly Chinese people eating there.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Gee gong lol....I remember years ago i was unfortunate enough to find myself in their kitchen at night.
I still have nightmares about what I saw. Believe me, if u saw what we did you would have never stepped foot in that place again.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM

Silver Inn, Center St North, Calgary.
John Wongs on Elbow Drive
Brothers in Evergreen.
Regency Palace Downtown Calgary
Old 06-29-2017, 02:33 PM

and just today..
Vics Hong Kong Style BBQ and Cafe in Chinatown Calgary.
100 3rd Ave.
Yummy!

and I am now hungry again!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Gee gong lol....I remember years ago i was unfortunate enough to find myself in their kitchen at night.
I still have nightmares about what I saw. Believe me, if u saw what we did you would have never stepped foot in that place again.
See-ARG told you it was pretty authentic
Old 06-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Default Best Chinese Food

I used to think that Happy Garden in Edmonton was the best. They closed down about a year ago and I would like to find another. Was going there for 20+ years and the interior never changed.

Dang Good is fine, but more Vietnamese, and a limited menu.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

Just had Kan Han last week and they are good...

The best by far is" Forever good" located in Mckenzie town located by the 4 way stop near the shell gas station...You will not be dissapointed

Last edited by kevinhits; 06-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Bills Peking House off Canyon Meadows and MacLeod trail. Good food. Only place we deliver from.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-29-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Bills Peking House off Canyon Meadows and MacLeod trail. Good food. Only place we deliver from.
You have to drive over one Neighborhood and try forever good and let me know what you think?