Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Don't sweat it. Grizzlies aren't out to get you-- they'd far rather avoid you, and most times they do. I had an overnight trip over the divide a few years ago where in 2 days I encountered 9 Grizzlies and 2 Black Bears. Used a banger on one of the Grizzlies (it was upwind and saw me but couldn't figure out what I was). With the others we just let each other be. I have used a banger one other time, and they work great. Had no problems at night.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

I wouldn't let it hinder your experience but Grizzlies are unpredictable, bring a heavy caliber of choice and if you have problems kill it.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I wouldn't let it hinder your experience but Grizzlies are unpredictable, bring a heavy caliber of choice and if you have problems kill it.
It's been proven that bear spray is more effective in survival rates. Not sure how many are real good shots when a bear is charging you at 30 mph.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Banned

I would be more concerned about a black bear than a grizzly. A black bear is unpredictable and tend to be more aggressive, where a grizzly tend to avoid you in general.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
It's been proven that bear spray is more effective in survival rates. Not sure how many are real good shots when a bear is charging you at 30 mph.
True fact but If given the opportunity to make an accurate shot on any charging animal I would opt for a hard cast bullet any where at center mass and use the spice if it could be deployed quick enough as an after thought.

As I've said before I don't think anyone would intensionally kill a charging animal unless it was justified or at least I wouldn't anyways. It is up to the person who's life is possibly on the line on how they choose to stop the threat of having their life ended.

The choice is yours and no court can refuse your right to life if it is in danger of ending due to a predatorial attack. Just make your choices with good judgement if you get the second needed to think about it.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Just reiterating what others have indicated.

#1 Bear spray, which you said you always have. Hopefully, you have it on a holster on your hip, and not in your back pack. Know that best practice is to lay down a fog moving from side to side, aiming below the bear's face, so it drifts up. If you aim at the face, you are likely to spray to high. They have to be uncomfortably close, 30 feet or so, and if they are charging, make sure you have a change of shorts after they are turned back.

#2 Stay alert, but you already know that.

#3 See #1

Good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgBY2PbnO4

8-10 feet

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Having both bear spray (If no wind) and defender shotgun loaded with combination of buckshot and slugs best combination for defence against a preditory black bear or grizz defending her cubs. However never seen a Park Warden use bear spray when working around problem bears.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:58 PM

I don't worry about it too much. I have a shotgun with slugs but I don't let the whole bear thing take over my life. This is from a guy who has shot a griz at 10yds that was aggressive.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Pretty sure some buckshot to the face is going to stop most bears in their tracks. Might not kill them but they for sure will be running in another direction.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Pretty sure some buckshot to the face is going to stop most bears in their tracks. Might not kill them but they for sure will be running in another direction.
A buddy of mine put buckshot in the front of an over zealous black bear. One shot, folded like a shirt. I was under the same assumption as you but it's quite lethal. I never would of guessed it.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Always portable bear fence if you feel the need.

Grizz
Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peps View Post
Like the title says...

I've been waiting around for months to go backpacking in either white horse creek RA or white goat RA, and now that most of the snow will be gone in the mountains I think it's time.

I've got bear spray, food canister, bear bangers and I'm all ready to go.

The problem is I've thoroughly spooked myself reading about grizzly bear attacks, especially the hunter being killed in Kananskis in 2014 , and the climber attacked near the icefields parkway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tack-1.2760221

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-national-park

What do you guys think about camping alone in grizzly country?

Your gonna need a bigger gun
Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Had this happen many times, Alaska was the worst, salmon running, and out walks the bear, sits watches the river, looks over at us, nods, walks in the river grabs a fish back to shore, eats as we slowly retreat...hey it's your river there buddy have at it!

Had a black bear on Vancouver island grab my stringer with a few cut throats on it try dragging it from shore and into the bush...fly rod smacks upside the Mellon and a few stern yells he buggers off...now I think about it 40 years later, man I had balls or was too stupid
Now I would let him have it.
I know what you mean. I remember being young and sooo stupid in the Kootenays in BC chasing big black bears away from the apple trees at night... with a straw broom lit on fire. Or another time literally 'chasing' 3 small black bear cubs out of camp first thing in the morning by making noise and banging on trees. Thank god I never did see the cub's mama that time. I was camping alone with a pup tent 40 miles north of Revelstoke. No firearm, bear spray or bangers. No vehicle either. I made a platform in a big tree to sleep the rest of the week up off the ground until my ride home picked me up.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peps View Post
Like the title says...

I've been waiting around for months to go backpacking in either white horse creek RA or white goat RA, and now that most of the snow will be gone in the mountains I think it's time.

I've got bear spray, food canister, bear bangers and I'm all ready to go.

The problem is I've thoroughly spooked myself reading about grizzly bear attacks, especially the hunter being killed in Kananskis in 2014 , and the climber attacked near the icefields parkway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tack-1.2760221
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-national-park

What do you guys think about camping alone in grizzly country?
I do alot of backpacking and camping alone in grizzlie country. It's been my experience that being " a little spooked " is a healthy thing. It's when you let your guard down or are feeling just a little to comfortable is when you can find yourself in a potentially dangerous close encounter. You don't have to be full on scared but it is a good idea to keep them on your mind at all times. If visibility is low and you are walking into the wind then go up and around. Following the " Be Bear Smart " guidelines will reduce your chances of a close encounter. Bear spray is a must IMHO but is useless in the wind. Keeping your wits and a 450 Marlin handy will keep you alive.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Have you ever sprayed a can of bear spray? Pretty ineffective in anything above dead calm.