Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Default What can Alberta do if BC stops pipeline progress?

Thought should go into it.

How about the Feds NOT pay out money to the BC softwood industry?

How about Alberta stop allowing movement by truck or train of lumber, wine and produce.

Individually we can stop buying BC products and limit travel and spending in BC.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Banned

Notley had the good idea to not allow electricity produced in BC to be sold to the states through Alberta's grid.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Banned

Don't allow any Quinoa shipments to BC travel through Alberta. We could starve most of them inside of a week.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM

No more BC holidays or business from Albertans.

Grizz
Old 06-02-2017, 07:58 AM

Stop sending gas and oil to BC that will solve everything.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default AB -BC border check stop ..

Stop the money going west and the weed coming east . !
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 AM

We were planning a two week trip to the Island this June, circumstances and developments have changed and we've cancelled that and are now going to Newfoundland.

Obviously this will have zero effect on BC, but the recent election made that decision far far easier.

I suspect that the boardrooms of downtown Calgary are very busy making alternative investment decisions re; monies to be spent on NE BC resource development. It would seem to me that Ft. St. John will be the biggest looser in this along with Native folks looking for work, school, employment in the Oil n Gas spinoffs.

It's a pretty wacky situation when the whole western edge of Canada becomes BC's right to dictate how that will be administered. I would have thought that the dithering evident from the LNG fiasco would have been like a signpost that Industrial activity will face enuff headwinds in BC that Forestry, Mining, OnG etc. should spend their time and $ elsewhere.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
It would seem to me that Ft. St. John will be the biggest looser in this along with Native folks looking for work, school, employment in the Oil n Gas spinoffs.
He doesn't care. Got to fight the Man!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Banned

Don Braid has an interesting article in the Calgary Herald. I tried to post it but can't seem to. It outlined some of the things Getty and Lougheed had done in the past.

Perhaps a more computer literate member could post it.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Default article

Here's the link you asked for...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...tough-with-b-c
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 AM

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...med-at-alberta

The outcome of Tuesday’s B.C. election will be alarming for Alberta no matter who wins. Premier Rachel Notley’s government is well aware of the unprecedented anti-trade forces lining up against the province.

On Monday, I half-jokingly wished an NDP official a good-news outcome. “I don’t even know what that means anymore,” she said.

Liberal Premier Christy Clark has agreed to the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain pipeline, which only means she won’t actually throw herself in front of a bulldozer.

She accepted this project after four years of forcing concessions from the company, including $1 billion to be paid over 20 years.

This cost is, in effect, a tax for shipping an Alberta product across B.C. territory and off the coast. Roger Gibbins, former head of the Canada West Foundation, has sharper words — “It’s a bounty.”

Authority for trade is supposed to belong to Ottawa. But Clark has met barely the limpest objection from the people charged with holding the country together.

This sets dangerous precedents for provinces to block or tax products from their neighbours.

The Energy East project, planned to ship bitumen east to Saint John, N.B., is relatively quiet now, but you can bet the Quebec government is watching carefully to see how much B.C. gets away with.

I’ve asked Clark twice if she agrees that bitumen is a legitimate product for transit across B.C. and shipment off the coast. She wouldn’t say yes.

If Kinder Morgan runs into the slightest difficulty from now on — and it surely will — she’ll play to the B.C. voters, while ensuring that Kinder Morgan still pays that $1 billion.

The other two parties, NDP and Green, are ferociously opposed to building the line under any circumstances, ever.

If NDP Leader John Horgan wins, obstructive provincial measures could stall Kinder Morgan for years, even though the Trudeau cabinet granted formal approval in January.

By next year we’re into a new federal election cycle, and B.C. votes count for more than Alberta’s.

According to a Mainstreet Research poll, it’s now likely that Clark will win again.

Her support in the pro-development Interior has risen sharply. She could capture a majority of seats even if the NDP wins a larger percentage of the popular vote.

A brilliant cross-issue strategist, Clark knows how to use environmental rhetoric to accomplish political, trade and fiscal goals.

Her new promise to slap a $70 per tonne carbon tax on exports of thermal coal would cost Alberta 2,000 jobs and up to $300 million in annual sales. Clark says she’s just countering U.S. duties on softwood lumber, and banning transit of dirty energy while she’s at it.

Again, Clark has no legal authority for taxing a product to prevent international export.

“None of it makes any sense,” says Gibbins. “These things are against Canadian internal trade agreements, and by going off like this as one province, probably causing problems and complications for the federal government in trade dealings with the U.S.”

RELATED

Braid: Another high-seas shakedown from B.C.'s Christy Clark
Alberta premier doesn't think Christy Clark has authority to promise a coal tax
Braid: Notley bans B.C. campaigning but chief listed as player
And yet, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he’s looking favourably at Clark’s thermal coal proposal, with no reference to Alberta’s problem. There seems to be zero appreciation for the climate change measures Alberta has taken so far.

Notley made a hopeful comment in January, after B.C. said its conditions for building Trans Mountain pipeline had been met:

“We are now closer than ever to breaking Alberta’s landlock and fixing a problem that has dogged our province for decades.”

That poses a question that usually makes people strain to remember their high school geography.

How many Canadian provinces are landlocked?

Saskatchewan and Alberta. That’s it. All other provinces have a waterway out, including Manitoba via Hudson Bay, and Ontario through the St. Lawrence Seaway.

This makes us extraordinarily dependent on the goodwill of others. The principle that no province should tax or penalize another is a core value of Confederation itself.

Despite interprovincial squabbles that are eternally negotiated, Alberta and Saskatchewan have usually been able to count on fair rules.

No longer. In a significant way, the B.C. government has gone rogue on Canada. That isn’t likely to change after Tuesday’s election.

Don Braid’s column appears regularly in the Herald

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

IT CANT BE STOPPED ,TRUDEAU , has already approved it for all Canadians , the protesters , can march all they like , if they get in the way its off to jail , its a done deal .
Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
IT CANT BE STOPPED ,TRUDEAU , has already approved it for all Canadians , the protesters , can march all they like , if they get in the way its off to jail , its a done deal .
The federal government does have the authority to do that, but will our spineless PM use that authority to make it happen?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Any way to reroute through Montana and other US states? Although that's probably gonna be trickier than if we just go through BC.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Stop sending crude and gasoline west. Charge huge tarrifs on train traffic to and through Alberta. Cut them off at the knees.

BW
Old 06-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Banned

I am SICK about the election.Before you crap on all of B.C. remember that all the LGBTQ treehugging, save the bears and whales A-holes live in the lower wasteland.Most of this great province hate those people.But they have the population. Sure I`ll ride my bicycle to work with my chainsaw over my shoulder for 60 miles each way. Jeez
I`d be a happy man if we had a 9.8 earth quake that wiped out everything from Hope to the coast.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwrench View Post
Any way to reroute through Montana and other US states? Although that's probably gonna be trickier than if we just go through BC.
good luck getting through any of the states on the west coast, democrat hot bed.

If Horgan denies KM, Trudeau MUST override him and push it through.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I am SICK about the election.Before you crap on all of B.C. remember that all the LGBTQ treehugging, save the bears and whales A-holes live in the lower wasteland.Most of this great province hate those people.But they have the population. Sure I`ll ride my bicycle to work with my chainsaw over my shoulder for 60 miles each way. Jeez
I`d be a happy man if we had a 9.8 earth quake that wiped out everything from Hope to the coast.
Agreed, not all BCers agree with the Greens and NDP, we can't blame an entire province because of some idiot politicians and extremists.

Remember who Alberta voted in last election, we've got NO reason to be smug or point fingers.

I do agree that if they try to stop the pipeline, we should retaliate and tax the hell out of anything coming out of BC across Alberta.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Arrow

In answer to the question posed by the OP - You are seeing it.
Whine. And Cry. LOTS that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
The problem being faced is that it will be the actual Provincial Government that blocks the construction. Sure, they might be a few protestors along the way, but they are little more than window dressing at this point...

Now before you kick into a diatribe of how the prov gov "can't do that", consider the massive number of permits (prov controlled) required to move the project forward. Then also consider the level of influence / encouragement of the prov gov over FN organizations over whose ground the line must cross.

Starting to get the picture??

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by IronNoggin; 06-02-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Banned

Hope BC plans to sell all their fruit to the states, because I can see our government here retaliating against BC products crossing Alberta.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Build a Big Beautiful Wall...
And get out them Big Pipecutters for all their export pipelines that run through good old Alberta.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Just send all the unemployed Albertan's to go protest the protesters.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Build a Big Beautiful Wall...
We don't need a wall.

We already have what's needed it's called a tap or a valve close it and stop all gasoline, diesel and crude to the coast. Do it today, and by July first they'll be agreeing to a pipeline!

Their shipping docks rail yards and Warehouse's will be plugged. People will be laid off and their economy will have tanked. They have an underbelly that will be exposed. Alberta will be well within its rights to do so. Do this and they'll be digging the trench to lay the pipe.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 06-02-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
We don't need a wall.

We already have what's needed it's called a tap or a valve close it and stop all gasoline, diesel and crude to the coast. Do it today, and by July first they'll be agreeing to a pipeline!

Their shipping docks rail yards and warehouse will be plugged. People will be laid off and their economy will have tanked. They have an underbelly that will be exposed. Alberta will be well within its rights to do so. Do his and they'll be digging the trench to lay the pipe.

BW
Agreed, These people are about to feel the wrath of Albertans. I will start by boycotting all purchases from BC and pledge to never enter that province again to spend my hard earned oil patch money.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
We don't need a wall.

Their shipping docks rail yards and Warehouse's will be plugged. People will be laid off and their economy will have tanked. They have an underbelly that will be exposed. Alberta will be well within its rights to do so. Do this and they'll be digging the trench to lay the pipe.

BW
X2 It has worked before.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...gainst-ontario

Last edited by dmcbride; 06-02-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 PM

1 )Set up inspection stations for all softwood lumber coming from BC.
Just to verify that none of it has any live pine beetles that could damage Alberta's and the rest of Canada's forests........for safety sake.

Staff them with one employee.
Forms have to be sent in advance and inspection booked 3 weeks ahead.

And the inspection fee is $1000.....

2) Any electrical transmission across Alberta needs a permit thats fee-volume based.

3) Any shipments from a BC port to the rest of Canada has to be offloaded, inspected, permitted in Alberta, etc.

4) Turn the fuel taps down 50% for a month or two

BC must think we are dependent on them.
They forget we control the space between them and the rest of Canada (excluding the NWT/Yukon). By them blocking us from the Coast, we can return the favor and block them from the rest of Canada.

They could always go to the US and see how negotiating access around us, with Washington State and Trump will turn out for them.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Problem is lots of bc are working stiffs just like most of us here and I would think many didn't vote green or orange. So it is kinda crappy when I say let's stop their workers from coming here. Any pipeline project and most of rigs I've been to have bc workers. Very few Alberta plates on the vehicles and mostly bc plates.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 PM

nevermind
Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM

How much tourism from Alberta?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Invade.

Invasion force made up of Alberta Sheriffs.

As long as the RCMP stand down of course.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.