Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Jasper Fishing

Hey all. Headed to jasper in a week or so. Anyone fished any flowing water in the park yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Was up there last weekend, Athabasca and others are blown out from Sat/Sun warm weather. Lakes are fishing well (not including Maligne). Have fun!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM

What lakes are fishing well ?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Lakers on Pyramid, and sight casting at pike and whites on Talbot.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutTracker View Post
Lakers on Pyramid, and sight casting at pike and whites on Talbot.
This! Report to follow tonight. Hit both up on the weekend and it was sooooooooooooooooooooooo gooood!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:39 PM

Do you folks know if you can rent the kayaks/boats right at Pyramid? Or do you have to organize it at one of the shops in town first? Thinking of popping by tomorrow, will give a report if I make it out. Cheers
Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMachine11 View Post
Do you folks know if you can rent the kayaks/boats right at Pyramid? Or do you have to organize it at one of the shops in town first? Thinking of popping by tomorrow, will give a report if I make it out. Cheers

You can rent right up at pyramid resort , however , I'm not sure about their prices but I bet they are a lot more expensive then Online sport and tackle. I'd go in and rent a boat from them , they are locked at the lake , and you can rent a motor and batteries if you'd like as well , cheers and good luck !
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM

Agreed..Online is 90 a day
Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 PM

Got a boat from online today. Fishing was really slow, not even a nibble. But I've been skunked in uglier places.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 PM

Finally got some time to post!

Jasper is on my list, as long as the weather is, for every May long. Less people and off the charts fishing everytime. Hit up Talbot day 1, tried for Maligne day 2 but it was totally frozen over and opted for first time at Pyramid, and then back to Talbot on the way out on day 3.
Holy crappin good fishing!!

Great welcome view:

Talbot was stupid good. Lots of pike around but the whites were thick. Right off the launch too.

Day 1 at Talbot, 2nd cast in and fish on. Smallest on of the weekend

In the element

Holy mirror batman!

Fish on'

And on

Keeper 1

Must have caught around ... 20 or so day 1 and kept 1 fish. All the releases were pretty good but the first one took around 15 minutes to revive. These whites in Talbot are absolute cream puffs. I've heard the term, "bone fish of AB", which makes me laugh. The only thing bone fish about them is the color. You have to really work at your releases or risk a lot of dead fish. This lake is shallow and warm...even early season. They fight nothing like the colder water of say Sylvan or Pigeon. There is the odd star but most are.....meh okay. Still fun though.

Day 2 was my first trip to Pyramid. I really didn't know the lake and didn't check a depth chart. Started off with the first hour of nothing trolling around. As I got closer to the North side I could hear a lot of talk about a point that some got a hit around. So I head over there and take a first pass. Marked at least 3 fish. Started trolling it and every pass was a fish. 7 passes 7 fish - all lakers. Most were 1.5- 2 lbs but I did hook one..and lost that looks maybe 6-7 lbs. Ended up landing around 12-13 lakes in a half day. Not bad for a first trip! No pics as I left the phone back at shore.

Day 3 was back at Talbot. Twice the day of day 1. Must have landed easily 15-16 whites. In only 3 hours.

Keeper 2 - 5.5 lbs ...tank!

Spring for sure

Great opening weekend in Jasper!!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Great job, I'm jealous
Old 05-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Jasper Weekend

Well after talking with the folks at Online (who are extremely helpful btw), i was informed that i shouldn't bother wasting my time on flowing water for another 6 weeks or so. Rivers are really high and (relatively) dirty. Apparently early spring before freshet was good, but the fishing is crap until about the end of June/Beginning of July.

Ended up shore fishing from Talbot and caught a few pike, so that was some solace....

Will be headed down there again mid-summer...