Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
The Easteen Coyote are no joke. Commonly called coywolf they are an honest 45 - 60lbs. There was an attack a few years ago in which a woman waa killed on nova scotia. Have also been a few other attacks on people that could of ended badly if not for some intervention. Because of that they take the threat serious back East.

Plus there are always genetic anomalies. I remember years ago walking my Belgian Shepherd in a bog close to Vancouver. That dog was a little over 2' at the shoulders and weighed about 55 lbs. Two Coyotes followed us at about 30 yards. Both would of had 6 inches minimum on that my mom's dof and probably 10 lbs.
Yup. Eastern coyotes are bigger for sure.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

I feel likewise Cat, your remarks make no sense to me but I address them not merely threaten that you don't appreciate them. You are a moderator and have the hammer. This sounds like a threat to me, not a discussion. If I had a shotgun in my hands and was in a confrontation with coyotes at close range as I assume you would be at when bird hunting I would much prefer shot to a slug. How far could you hit a coyote with a shotgun, no sights, and a slug.

To the other fellow: I gave you a suggestion to find the survey information, and there is tons of it so do just a tiny bit of work on your own. It's very informative.

I stand solidly behind every word I have said about coyotes and the escalating problems we are seeing with human interaction.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
The only plus side to this is the media reporting on this if they keep reporting these dangerous encounters the normal every day Henry and Martha Albertain might sway their opinion on coyotes. And it's not the antis that need the help seeing the world for what it is, it's the Henry and Martha's of the world. I hope CBC and all the new network's keep denouncing the coyote's predatory nature. That only helps. This is all in my own opinion feel free to debate.
I think you are right and publicizing the problems may force the powers that be to actually address them. The wolves in Banff Park are a good example. When they [coyotes or wolves] become that habituated they must go in my opinion because they will only become more brazen.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:24 PM

some folks might want to understand that maybe there is just a touch of levity posted around this place on occasion.

If not, feel free to fill out the attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HurtFeelingsReport_zps3b998864.jpg (58.4 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Albertadiver; 05-11-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
If I had a shotgun in my hands and was in a confrontation with coyotes at close range as I assume you would be at when bird hunting I would much prefer shot to a slug. How far could you hit a coyote with a shotgun, no sights, and a slug.
Why you deranged! Bloodthirsty! Killer! You!!!l

Nasty... just nasty...
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Why you deranged! Bloodthirsty! Killer! You!!!l

Nasty... just nasty...
If you'r gonna fight you may as well win!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
The Easteen Coyote are no joke. Commonly called coywolf they are an honest 45 - 60lbs. There was an attack a few years ago in which a woman waa killed on nova scotia. Have also been a few other attacks on people that could of ended badly if not for some intervention. Because of that they take the threat serious back East.

Plus there are always genetic anomalies. I remember years ago walking my Belgian Shepherd in a bog close to Vancouver. That dog was a little over 2' at the shoulders and weighed about 55 lbs. Two Coyotes followed us at about 30 yards. Both would of had 6 inches minimum on that my mom's dof and probably 10 lbs.
Any animal that attacks should not be taken lightly, period, take these threats serious and deal with them accordingly.
Not saying what you say is not true but most encounters turn into a story and then a legend of a potential man eater floats around the local coffee shops etc.
Yes attacks may happen, define attack, close encounter in which it showed its teeth? A growl, barking at you very close, pacing ...I guess some would call that an attack once they hit the vehicle and got thier cell phone fired up, most who spend time in the woods would deem this an encounter, usually ends up bad for the yote...got no time for tuff talk in the bush.
Yes the jogger was attacked and killed, simply horrible, others have been chewed on etc this will happen although very rare but they are a wild animal and can turn on a dime, heck I even had a squirrel once go beserk on me, a load of shot stopped the threat.
I had a yote that was on out acreage out by the wood shed, I had to take a second look and raise my head up off the rifle just to insure I wasn't going to shoot a German Shepard...slight smaller version but is was a gooder...my second look gave it a chance to disappear...now off to the coffee shop to talk about this beastly encounter and start another 3' at the shoulders, 75lbs at least...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 AM

Hate to think some of the more aggressive coyote encounters may be by a rabid animal. Animal rights crowd will sure get excited when major poision extermination program is started such as was necessary in the 50's.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Hate to think some of the more aggressive coyote encounters may be by a rabid animal. Animal rights crowd will sure get excited when major poision extermination program is started such as was necessary in the 50's.
Habituated coyotes are in a direct line to cantact rabies from cats which den with skunks and interact with them. Skunks and bats are the primary vectors in AB. Extreme aggression is one of the possible symptoms of rabies.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
Horrifying and Coyote should not be in the same sentence together lol.
Unless your're the parents of the 18 year old girl who was killed and partially eaten by three coyotes in a popular park in the maritimes just a few years ago. I think they and her friends were horrified
Old 05-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Sounds like she needs to get rid of the Labradoodle & get a couple Greyhounds...

https://youtu.be/S6eNfTYCjpA

That is awsome haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Sounds like she needs to get rid of the Labradoodle & get a couple Greyhounds...

https://youtu.be/S6eNfTYCjpA

I am now properly horrified of Greyhounds too lol

Would be fair chase without running the yotes to exhaustion with a truck before releasing the hounds. Looks like fun none the less
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Coyotes in the large urban centres like London , Kitchener -Waterloo and Toronto here in Ontario are common now ,and the attacks on pets and aggressive behaviour toward people is becoming a lot more commonplace , but it's the same thing when I get a call about these coyotes , "well some people in the area don't want them killed " and my response is always the same , until all the residents and local government are on board it's pretty darn hard to provide any sort of solution to your problems .
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Read Dan Flore's 'Coyote America'...they are uniquely adapted to flourish under pressure. When European contact started Wolves were almost exterminated from the continent while Coyotes went from a small area in the south west to occupying the whole continent. We will never eradicate them from cities.
Kill the trouble makers. Thank the rest for keeping the rodents down and helping the bird population by killing your neighbours annoying cat
Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
Horrifying and Coyote should not be in the same sentence together lol.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Every time I see a coyote in the area a lost cat sign goes up on the community mailbox. Coincidence?
Nope. Just good stray cat management. I'm with the coyotes on this one.

p.s I'm wondering what they've been feeding those 50 pound coyotes. I thought I saw a 15 pound pigeon once, but when I sobered up I realized it was just a turkey.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

And, another one......

http://www.news1130.com/2017/06/27/y...jumped-surrey/

What to do if you're stalked by a coyote after young girl jumped in Surrey

Posted Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am PDT Last Updated Jun 27, 2017 at 10:39 am PDT

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Most of us have seen coyotes and are used to them going after rats and squirrels but, after an attack on a young girl in Surrey, experts are offering advice on how to prevent something similar from happening again.

Greg Hart with the Stanley Park Ecology Society says if a child is approached by a coyote, it’s important to be big, brave, and loud.

He adds it’s critical they not run, but instead stand their ground, and yell ‘go away coyote!’ so an adult will hear and be able to help.

“These events are extremely rare. Coyotes typically are not aggressive toward people at all and, in fact, they do a really good job co-existing with us,” he tells NEWS 1130.

Hart adds the animals often become bolder after they’ve had a human food source such as garbage.

A four-year-old girl was stalked and knocked down by a coyote around 6 p.m. yesterday in Surrey’s Guildford neighbourhood. A neighbour scared the animal away and the girl is expected to be okay.

Tony lives in the area and claims to have seen two coyotes – both described as scrawny and hungry. “I’ve reported [them] to the conservation, to the Surrey municipality, to the police but no one seems to want to do anything about it. I guess we’re going to have to live with the problem in the area.”

Conservation officers are expected to remove the coyote involved in the incident and release it somewhere else.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
And, another one......

http://www.news1130.com/2017/06/27/y...jumped-surrey/

What to do if you're stalked by a coyote after young girl jumped in Surrey

Posted Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am PDT Last Updated Jun 27, 2017 at 10:39 am PDT

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Most of us have seen coyotes and are used to them going after rats and squirrels but, after an attack on a young girl in Surrey, experts are offering advice on how to prevent something similar from happening again.

Greg Hart with the Stanley Park Ecology Society says if a child is approached by a coyote, it’s important to be big, brave, and loud.

He adds it’s critical they not run, but instead stand their ground, and yell ‘go away coyote!’ so an adult will hear and be able to help.

“These events are extremely rare. Coyotes typically are not aggressive toward people at all and, in fact, they do a really good job co-existing with us,” he tells NEWS 1130.

Hart adds the animals often become bolder after they’ve had a human food source such as garbage.

A four-year-old girl was stalked and knocked down by a coyote around 6 p.m. yesterday in Surrey’s Guildford neighbourhood. A neighbour scared the animal away and the girl is expected to be okay.

Tony lives in the area and claims to have seen two coyotes – both described as scrawny and hungry. “I’ve reported [them] to the conservation, to the Surrey municipality, to the police but no one seems to want to do anything about it. I guess we’re going to have to live with the problem in the area.”

Conservation officers are expected to remove the coyote involved in the incident and release it somewhere else.
Dave, you have any free range area they can release it at? Apparently it is I* L-XL and fond of left over school sandwiches.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Any CO worth his salt knows the only way to release a problem coyote is with a lead pill, what nonsense. However if SEL with heavy lite 1-2 color please release on my trapline for a good home.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 06-28-2017 at 11:11 AM.