Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Autism/Aspergers

I was wondering if any others out there have children who are on the autistic spectrum?? My 10 year old son has Aspergers. He's normal in many ways, but certainly has his quirks. The last few months he has suffered from horrible anxiety at school. We have pulled him for the rest of the year, and will hire a tutor to keep him caught up. It's tough having a child on the autism spectrum.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 PM

We have a 16 year old boy with autism. A behaviour consultant recommended Tae Kwon Do when he was 8 and it suited him perfectly. The focus and repeating patterns really appealed to him. For the first while it was stressful but improved with time. He is now 16 and a 3rd degree black belt. He also loves swimming, that some researchers describe as those with autism have a special affinity for. He has been doing that since 11.

We have progressed from a 3 year old smashing his face on the sidewalk to a polite and happy young man.

If you want more insights just pm me. It's a tough journey.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 PM

It's a tough journey. My family has a couple people that have either a learning disability or are otherwise considered disabled. No one on the autism spectrum, but I can tell you that the more you time and energy you put into your kid the better they will turn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBD_LTPjYVQ
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
We have a 16 year old boy with autism. A behaviour consultant recommended Tae Kwon Do when he was 8 and it suited him perfectly. The focus and repeating patterns really appealed to him. For the first while it was stressful but improved with time. He is now 16 and a 3rd degree black belt. He also loves swimming, that some researchers describe as those with autism have a special affinity for. He has been doing that since 11.

We have progressed from a 3 year old smashing his face on the sidewalk to a polite and happy young man.

If you want more insights just pm me. It's a tough journey.

Cheers
Thanks Greyduck,

Tae Kwon Do sounds great. My son does parkour and has advanced beyond his peer group and now trains with older kids. He's also an avid skier. Our biggest issue now is episodes of severe anxiety - with very calm and happy periods between. We have started him with a councilor who also has Aspergers, and understands what my son is going through. Moving forward, schooling will be a challenge. It's very difficult, but we are hopeful he will find his way in the world. Nice to have support, though, and listen to others who are going through this.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Not much experience with the anxiety issue once he learned to talk. I he a perfectionist? That was a stumbling block for us until he learned to fail. That took a long time.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:59 PM

My neighbour in Houston has Aspergers. Brilliant, a little different in His ways, and a good friend, many of you work for Him. His is currently the President of a large International Oil Service Company.
With effort many difficulties can be overcome.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM

My son Hunter was born with Optic nerve hypoplasia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optic_nerve_hypoplasia
He also has hypo-pituitarism and a whole list of medications to manage all his hormone deficiencies

Many of his behaviours and quirks are similar to those children within the Autism Spectrum
Despite being born blind he is the top of his class in math due to his repetitious nature.
His communication skills and his mobility are behind but is very polite and considerate. He just dose not see the point in interacting unless he needs something so we have to engage him and always get him aware of others and the need to interact
It is tough and hard work. He is Learning Braille right now. So proud of him.
FYI ... plays the piano like the next Beethoven. But only when he wants to and only the songs he wants. These kids are amazing and their personalities are even more amazing
He also loves swimming
Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 PM

This is the reason I move my family to AB 8 years ago. We have a 12 year old son, non verbal. Everyday can be a new challenge, but you move forward the best you can for your kids.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM

I have a cousin (single mom) with 2 children with Aspergers. I also have a friend with a son who has it. Lucky for all three kids, they have very good parents to help with the rough ride, and it is very rough. My friend has had to lock his kid out of the house to try and get him fresh air, due to the child's fear of bugs touching him. Even finding clothes that the child will wear can be a task. My friend has spent a lot of hours researching and trying to get contacts to deal with this situation, and it took a long time before assistance was available. At the end of the day, it seems that these kids are all extremely talented, and if they can be helped with the social aspects, things get a whole lot better as they get older. Keep on fighting.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Some of the early signs of our sons Aspergers went unnoticed by us (well we noticed the signs, but figured that was just our unique kid that we love); when his kindergarten teacher suggested the possibility I hadn't even heard of Aspergers previously. Then when looking it up and seeing it was included on the autism spectrum I was flabbergasted and in denial. Then I came to realize what a massive breadth of humanity that the term is cast over. He's certainly nowhere near what Dustin Hoffman portrayed in Rain Man for instance, yet at the same time one might see similar little snippets. His food choices are quite particular but we've been very pleased lately that he's been trying new things, often of his own initiative. You will NOT get this kid to eat something he doesn't want to, that is a battle to redirect your energies elsewhere. He might be open to trying things that he sees his peers eating, but only on occasion. He can have some challenges socially but he has a good bunch of friends at school, not to say he hasn't brought home tales of a kid or two who might bully him on occasion. He is exceptionally bright, he's the best reader in his class and I've observed the whole class paying attention to him reading things aloud for everyone. He's spoken like a small adult since i can recall him speaking sentences, his enunciation is meticulous. I usually use the comparison that he's pretty close to a small version of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory: very structured, very smart, and meticulous about things being correct as he knows them.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

No kids of my own, but have known many over the years with aspergers/autism. Some parents chose to keep their child in a bubble and ended up with a disabled high function autistic. Others chose to rock the kids' world every chance they got, to push them out of the comfort zone.

Temple Grandin, check her out.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Some of the early signs of our sons Aspergers went unnoticed by us (well we noticed the signs, but figured that was just our unique kid that we love); when his kindergarten teacher suggested the possibility I hadn't even heard of Aspergers previously. Then when looking it up and seeing it was included on the autism spectrum I was flabbergasted and in denial. Then I came to realize what a massive breadth of humanity that the term is cast over. He's certainly nowhere near what Dustin Hoffman portrayed in Rain Man for instance, yet at the same time one might see similar little snippets. His food choices are quite particular but we've been very pleased lately that he's been trying new things, often of his own initiative. You will NOT get this kid to eat something he doesn't want to, that is a battle to redirect your energies elsewhere. He might be open to trying things that he sees his peers eating, but only on occasion. He can have some challenges socially but he has a good bunch of friends at school, not to say he hasn't brought home tales of a kid or two who might bully him on occasion. He is exceptionally bright, he's the best reader in his class and I've observed the whole class paying attention to him reading things aloud for everyone. He's spoken like a small adult since i can recall him speaking sentences, his enunciation is meticulous. I usually use the comparison that he's pretty close to a small version of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory: very structured, very smart, and meticulous about things being correct as he knows them.
Sounds like your son is doing well. My son is a voracious reader, but refuses to write. He is an adventurous eater too. One thing I find, is that when we want our son to do things he doesn't want to do himself, it's nearly impossible to get his cooperation. Aspergers kids are stubborn!!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonegoat View Post
Sounds like your son is doing well. My son is a voracious reader, but refuses to write. He is an adventurous eater too. One thing I find, is that when we want our son to do things he doesn't want to do himself, it's nearly impossible to get his cooperation. Aspergers kids are stubborn!!
Some people have nooooo idea when they say their kids are stubborn! Sometimes through suggestion you can get them to come to the conclusion you want out of them but it needs to be their idea, just plant the seeds for them to grow their own conclusion from.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

My wife is Aspergic and it really messed with her life prior to being identified and treated as a middle aged adult. Having it diagnosed and finding treatments/strategies for accommodating it is important to the affected individuals happiness in later life.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM

I had a 17 year old cooking student with Aspergers who totally shut down my lunch service a few months ago.

I had a large pot of chili ready for service landed on a stainless table with about 7/8 ths of the pot on the table and the remainder overhanging the table.

I was ladling and he was garnishing, but he stopped the line on the first bowl and became extremely agitated. I did not understand the issue immediately and was a bit frustrated as the service window was short and people were lined up for the food. I was trying to reassure him that it was safe and of no concern. Big mistake on my part.

He refused to continue until a correction was made so I nudged the pot 3/4" and we were good to go.

Lesson learned for me. Don't argue-You cannot win
Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM

My five year old is diagnosed autistic, and sensory disorder. It is a very interesting and frustrating life. It has taught me a lot of patience. It has taught me a lot of compassion. And of gratefulness. It is easy to get drug down, and dwell on the hardships. But, I try to think of the positives, and remember that there are people, who wish their kids could scream at the tops of their lungs and throw tantrums.

My son is very bright, huge vocabulary. He's been speaking complete sentences since a year and a half old. He never baby talked. We would catch him off by himself practicing words. If he couldn't say it properly, he wouldn't say it. But, it took him forever to walk.

A lot of people don't understand autism, but they are aware of it. The sensory disorder is a lot for people to understand. A lot of people doubt it. So did I. But when your kid climbs up your body, in a panicked frenzy, because you set him down on the tiled floor after a bath. And he can not stand the feel of his bare feet on the floor, you start understand.

He's always wanted to work on the drilling rigs, but recently decided that NASA suits him better! I support him!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I had a 17 year old cooking student with Aspergers who totally shut down my lunch service a few months ago.

I had a large pot of chili ready for service landed on a stainless table with about 7/8 ths of the pot on the table and the remainder overhanging the table.

I was ladling and he was garnishing, but he stopped the line on the first bowl and became extremely agitated. I did not understand the issue immediately and was a bit frustrated as the service window was short and people were lined up for the food. I was trying to reassure him that it was safe and of no concern. Big mistake on my part.

He refused to continue until a correction was made so I nudged the pot 3/4" and we were good to go.

Lesson learned for me. Don't argue-You cannot win
That's what I've come to understand about my son. If something is important to him, it is very important.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm really thankful for all the posts in this subject. It's comforting to know that we are all in this together.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Way back when junior was about 3 1/2 (he's 9 now) he went through a brief phase where he would absolutely refuse to leave the house unless he was dressed up as Puss 'N Boots complete with cape, sword and hat adorned with a feather. I grew quite frustrated with it and was happy when that preference faded, thankfully it was only a couple of weeks.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 PM

It is amazing how many lives are touched by this condition. All the posts bring back memories, good and bad, from our journey.
Our boy ate nothing but Schnieder chicken nuggets and cucumbers for 3 meals a day for 5 years before he started experimenting wit diffrent foods. He still prefers them over any other meal. Didn't hurt him either, he is 6ft 2in and 190 lbs. Made shopping easy, even got a discount from the local Safeway.
On the bad side he was very violent. His school had an emergency response plan when he had a meltdown. He wasn't a threat to others, just himself. Only his mom could bring him down. I don't miss that.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 PM

There are definite links to the increased incidence of Autism and Asperger Syndrome caused by accumulated mercury poisoning from inoculation vaccines.

http://www.truthwiki.org/autism-asperger-syndrome-asd/
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Don't want to hijack this conversation as it's important, so if this post is taking it in a different direction, just delete my post and my apologies.

I have a nephew with "whatever the experts want to call it". He's 17 now. Just doesn't have the social skills to know right from wrong. From when 80 year old grandmother is getting in car, and basketball hoop over her head, firing off a shot. To, getting a car and within the first month receiving 5 speeding tickets, and ultimately side swiping another car driving them into parked cars. His car was taken away. My brother has changed. He has tried his best, but has now blows up at the slightest of things. They have my nephew in private school, and he seems to gravitate to playing on the football team. Not sure what the future holds.

And this is my possible hijack...not my intent....I think "it", on various degrees of how it effects kids is the Vaccinations of this day and age...2017. You don't see this widespread of "it" in the 70's, and before. I just don't believe the so called pharmaceutical industry funded studies that pro-vac people say "its proven science". Proven by the fox telling you the chickens are okay? Nawwww.

Again, if my comment hijacks this important topic, just delete this post. I don't want to take away from the OP's post.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 PM

I dont know about shots being related to AS. However they really didnt get serious about even studying AS. until the late 80's. No official diagnoses till 90's. So there are many with AS. out there who only learned they had AS. later in life. And no doubt many still dont know. That would explain why it seems so common now a days i suspect.
Somebody said on here the older one gets it gets better. If a person born Aspie they are Aspie all the way through there life. Most just learn to cope a little better as time goes on but adapting to a world designed for normal folks(whatever that is) still cause's all kinds of stress so one is never really better. Many have stomach trouble and digestive tract troubles and are more prone to depression etc. So parents be mindful of that.
I liken it to a left handed person living in a right hander world, they are still always left handed. Obviously not as stressful as having the mind stuff of course.

And folks with AS. are just as much different from each other as normal folks are.
Some never cope well and need looking after,others do better and go on to do amazing things.
There are studies which suggest it being heredity also.

Hopefully mods can fix all this space under my post not sure how that happened. Sorry all

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-19-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM

I agree just because you are on the spectrum doesn't mean you are the same as anyone else on the spectrum. I've met 100 of autistic people over the course of our sons treatment. Wouldn't want to try to describe each individual. I also grew up in the 60s and had 3 young boys on our street that fit what I know now as autistic. We had a different word back then. They never went to school and never developed socially, but they were good people in adulthood.
Back in they day nobody wanted to admit they had intellectually challenged kids. They were hidden. Today they probably get over diagnosed but that's another issue.

As far as the vaccine thing goes. No comment!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
I agree just because you are on the spectrum doesn't mean you are the same as anyone else on the spectrum. I've met 100 of autistic people over the course of our sons treatment. Wouldn't want to try to describe each individual. I also grew up in the 60s and had 3 young boys on our street that fit what I know now as autistic. We had a different word back then. They never went to school and never developed socially, but they were good people in adulthood.
Back in they day nobody wanted to admit they had intellectually challenged kids. They were hidden. Today they probably get over diagnosed but that's another issue.

As far as the vaccine thing goes. No comment!

We're probably on the same page with a lot of our opinions on the subject of diagnoses. Being that its only been diagnosed in recent decades there are plenty of people who had never been categorized with Asperger's or autism throughout human history because it wasn't recognized yet, though they would have stood out in their communities. I now recognize its traits in various degrees among lots of people; both in myself, in family lineage, friends and some of the random people that I meet in passing. One city inspector I deal with on occasion has a raging case that is highly annoying given his level of authority, though I'm not sure if he's aware of it. You can bet there were similar people for 10's of thousands of years prior to the advent of vaccines.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
There are definite links to the increased incidence of Autism and Asperger Syndrome caused by accumulated mercury poisoning from inoculation vaccines.

Im sort of a believer in the whole immunization AS issue. But not sold.
Im In my late 40's Diagnosed with AS when I was around 44.

Diagnosis has helped me figure out some of the things I do and the way I am. Looking back at my childhood there was always things I could not understand or get a handle on especially socially, mainly in large groups of people (yuk). Has also helped me learn things about myself and others, I am kind of an AS detector now. It is quite easy for me to see things in younger people as many AS have the same patterns I did as a kid.

Over time I have learned many coping skills or have created ways to manage most of the things that were an issue when I was a kid without even knowing I was AS. In small groups I am almost neurotypical except I can get on a subject and have a hard time getting off it. The only time it every really is an issue is when I allow myself to get very stressed without a route out of it.

Most of my extended family that I grew up with refuse to believe in any way that I am AS. But looking back on it it is obvious that I was. My Mother in law who works with AS kids in schools Diagnosed me 4 year's before I found out.

Funny aside. I found out by reading the book the "big short".

Anyways, I am a productive member of society. Provide for my wife and kids fairly well. I try not to be an arse to anyone (try ). And am a fairly happy person . Kids with AS will learn, adapt and evolve. Many will not have any noticeable signs of AS when they get older!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 AM

My 5 year old son is on spectrum. Very high functioning and i had a thread in the fishing section last year about him out fishing me on the nsr

He definitely makes life challenging at times but we can adjust to make the world work for him. On top of fishing he loves kickboxing, and hes kicked my ass at both.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Guess it's my turn to come out of the closet.

I always knew I wasn't the same as others. I finally figured out that I had Aspergers when I was in my fifties. Learning how to work with my strengths is easy, learning how to deal with my weaknesses is not.

I have started to tell a few people about it now, with varied results. I tell medical people like doctors and dentists and chiropracters because they have the right to know. But when I tell friends of long standing about it, I get disbelief. They thought of me as normal, with a bit of different thrown in for good measure.

The Big Bang Theory has been mentioned and it is a show I can relate to. I am not as gifted as Sheldon is, but I am not as fouled up as he is either.

Very often when I tell some one about it, they will have a story about a relative or a friend that has it.

I think it is more common than most people realize. I believe there are a lot of older people, like myself, that have it and don't realize it. They would have been long gone from the school system before educaters even knew about the syndrome.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=brohymn2;3497578]My 5 year old son is on spectrum. Very high functioning and i had a thread in the fishing section last year about him out fishing me on the nsr

He definitely makes life challenging at times but we can adjust to make the world work for him. On top of fishing he loves kickboxing, and hes kicked my ass at both.

That's so awesome!!

Awesome!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

http://immunize.ca/en/publications-r...ns/autism.aspx

Marshall McLuhan