Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default Summoned to be on a jury.

How much does it pay? I'm assuming at least as much as an MLA makes right? Limo service?

If you were being prosecuted for something...would you want me as a juror.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Unequivocally

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deadpool approves.jpg (26.9 KB, 97 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 PM

I've had two summonses in the last 6 or so years. For the first one I was eager to serve and was disappointed when they told me I wasn't needed, I discovered that my union would cover a certain amount of lost wages so there would not have been a financial hit. The second one came when I was on 14/7 shift rotations north of FT Mac and it would have created financial duress so I requested to be excused.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Dont spend it all at once....You may as well get a min wage job. I have been picked many times and no it is not worth it for pay. Saying that I have seen a few twisted cases over the years. Just so you know once you get on once the odds are in your favor to get called again. I had to ask one time as one year I got picked 4 times. I was starting to feel like a full time job.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 PM

I've been picked once, wifey as well... Never made it in , must have been a change of plea, or plea bargain.

I really wanted to be a part of it though..
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM

If am ever summoned for jury selection, I have a suspicion that either the prosecutor or the defense lawyer will not find me acceptable.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM

its easy to get out of jury duty

when they interview you, they will ask you if your racist

just jokingly say, no you hate all races equally

you will get dismissed pretty quickly for some one else

my buddy did it twice that way to get out of it
Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

Licensed gun owners are being summoned for jury duty so they can collect our DNA. I avoided this by not licking the envelope but using a damp cloth with water. I'm actually looking forward to it!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:41 PM

make sure you call the friday before the set jury date to confirm its still happening.

they pay $50-60 a day, travel expenses can be reimbursed to a percentage. if you dont go they can fine you up to $1000 dollers or spend 30 days in jail, and or both.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

I'd actually really like to be on a jury, but I'm not giving up MORE money to the government. If they want me to thumbs down someone they need to come up with a little more scratch than $50/day.

I already know I'm going to do more good for Alberta than anyone else there on the payroll. I need to be compensated accordingly.

The last time I took a day off work and went to testify against a criminal, I sat in court all day to watch the judge let the guy go for time served (a 40 some year old career criminal).
Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
"..if you dont go they can fine you up to
$1000 dollers or spend 30 days in jail, and or both.."
Do any AO members have any stories to share
regarding experiences of not going to Jury Duty?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM

How do they pick a person ? Never been called not once . I think if they chose more AO members we might stand a chance of turning this s... show they call the justice system around.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycut.a7 View Post
How do they pick a person ? Never been called not once . I think if they chose more AO members we might stand a chance of turning this s... show they call the justice system around.

X2

Well most AO members anyways.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Maybe even banned members...give them something to do. Hahaha

Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 PM

Rug. It's a bad idea man.

You can't argue with the defense, or prosecution, or the judge.... even if you see golden opportunities to apply your wit.

You might pop man.

And if you get sequestered with a media ban.....
Some people on here might pop if your not around.....

Think of the consequences to society for once man!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM

I was summoned once before and it was a fun experience to see how the ordeal and process works outs. It's a lottery system. The case I had was a murder trial of an mma fighter stabbed to death at a party. They had 50-75 witness, first responders and police involved. If you have any relationship with them it's conflict of interest- this I didn't know. They draw- back up to back up jurors if needed as a bench warmer due to variable of no show possibilities. The court room in Calgary it's held in is one of the largest court rooms in North America and I was surprised how set up and fluid the process went. If you no show to it, you have to come up with reason as to why and have to make it to the next major trial I was told.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I'd actually really like to be on a jury, but I'm not giving up MORE money to the government. If they want me to thumbs down someone they need to come up with a little more scratch than $50/day.

I already know I'm going to do more good for Alberta than anyone else there on the payroll. I need to be compensated accordingly.

The last time I took a day off work and went to testify against a criminal, I sat in court all day to watch the judge let the guy go for time served (a 40 some year old career criminal).
When I was still working, I wouldn't mind serving jury duty or testifying, as we received our full wage for these things.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM

Default I was picked as a juror

;Hi: I was chosen to go to jury and was honoured to be chosen. My staff agreement paid my wages in full. I think i received 25 dollars a day to attend, plus they gave meals and coffee.

The jury was for a hit and run accident and we acquitted the guy. It was very interesting how the trial went and how the justice system worked. They gave the evidence and we were sequestered until a decision was made... all in one day.

The judge instructed us on how to interpret the law in terms of a number of word tests that outlined the law.

We reviewed the evidence and voted a number of times to achieve unanimity.

Great experience of how the judicial system worked.

BTW during selection a number of guys went up and tried to get off the duty for one reason or another. Only one in ten were released from being chosen and sent home.

Hoopi
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post

I got called three times in two years (apparently they make one big list and keep using it for a while). First one, went and sat there for six hours watching them select their jury of gray haired peers. Second time couldn't make the date due to harvest, went in to explain and was relieved prior to selection. Third one just no showed (considering they never really needed me for the first two), got a nasty letter suggesting if I do that again they'd find a jury for my trial.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 PM

If a lot of forum members here sat on a jury - they'd be quite surprised to find that not all Albertans have the same opinions they do.

The last time I was in a criminal jury courtroom - they had 14 jurors - somewhere along the line they've up it from 12. Civil trials only have 6.

"Judged by 14 or carried by six" - I'd say the odds are now less in your favour if you plead self defence.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Banned

They were running out of people that the prosecutor and defence could agree on, I was getting worried.
It was an interesting experience.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
How much does it pay? I'm assuming at least as much as an MLA makes right? Limo service?

Rug, are you saying that you were notified for jury duty? Or are you wondering what happens if?
Hate to say it, but I don't believe you qualify for jury duty. No offence, but anyone who is as outspoken as you are about politics would be dis-qualified. Just the way it works.
P.S. I'm sure you would be a good juror.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yes I would like you on the jury ... unless I was prosecuted for voting NDP and recieving to many welfare cheque's while collecting pogy while I lived in Ontario with my unmarried girlfriend collecting child support from her six kid's from nine different father's
Old 12-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Rug, are you saying that you were notified for jury duty? Or are you wondering what happens if?
Hate to say it, but I don't believe you qualify for jury duty. No offence, but anyone who is as outspoken as you are about politics would be dis-qualified. Just the way it works.
P.S. I'm sure you would be a good juror.
Yep, I got a letter in the mail. Have to reply.

Interesting that being outspoken regarding politics would disqualify you.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 PM

I write her to express my condolences to this poor mother..er you re just about to judge (cut and paste right here if you want to get out)

Otherwise, I think it would be wise to inject some common sense into a system, it seems to lacking a lot
Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

https://albertacourts.ca/resolution-...mmon-questions

Do the Jury Eligibility Survey: https://albertacourts.ca/resolution-...bility-survey#
Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Banned

Thanks. Some good info.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:40 PM

So their only contact is by letter. What if that letter gets lost? Ie postman didn't deliver it?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Maybe you'll get a chance to say "Lock her up!!'

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I didnt show the last time. First time after making a special trip back from northern BC just to try out I sat there for 2 days to be told they had enough potential jurors. Got another one about 8 months ago and just tossed it. Had someone run my name in CPIC just to make sure there were no surprises waiting for me next time I get pulled over, all good