Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefk View Post
All hope for this reality. However, if the WR and the PC's continue to be at odds and cannot agree to an amicable solution to unite the right, I fear that a repeat of a horrendous outcome for the 2019 provincial election may be reality….
Splitting votes again could be a disaster, just look at this board - people who voted NDP will vote for them again, regardless of what NDP does.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Splitting votes again could be a disaster, just look at this board - people who voted NDP will vote for them again, regardless of what NDP does.

That is exactly my fear, some people will mindlessly vote for the NDP regardless of what they do or say. We could end up sinking to the same level that the NDP dragged other provinces to, and it could take a very long time to undo the damage, if that is even possible.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is exactly my fear, some people will mindlessly vote for the NDP regardless of what they do or say. We could end up sinking to the same level that the NDP dragged other provinces to, and it could take a very long time to undo the damage, if that is even possible.
It is vote splitting that is causing the most damage now. If WR and Pc don't join soon, we're going to have to look for a new party.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:25 AM

We live in one of the coldest parts of the world. Wind and solar power can supplement our energy but we need gas,oil and coal to stay warm. I am old I hate being cold. It seems to me that someone has given the NDP part of the story but they do not have a vision to see the whole story. One thing they do not teach any more is common sense. We learned it going through the school of hard knocks. I would like to see our politicians all have to work in a saw mill for awhile where you have the green chain and have to pile lumber by hand.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
My mother used to say about following the crowd ... so if everybody is jumping off a cliff, will you follow?
That works both ways. Depends on why your jumping. You could say the anti coal crowd is jumping off a cliff on the grounds of worthless change.
If we want to make meaningful difference in worldwide carbon capture we need to target Asia and the other massive polluters. Alberta is stifling our economic growth and strength to save a few particles of carbon that won't even make a perceptible difference to worldwide production. All countries would better spend their money forcing legislation on a worldwide scale to stop the dirty plants that are popping up by the thousands spewing unrestrained and ever growing amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. We are jumping off a cliff worring about getting a mole removed from a toe meanwhile ignoring an overwhelming monsterous malignant tumour that is ravaging the rest of the body.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Banned

You folks make me want to beat my head against a wall.

Notley started all this? Riiiggghhhttt. Your beloved PC's started all this crap. I remember the stink about Redford discussed on this board... Would you like Redford back with her energy plan? How about Stelmach or the rest of the merry bunch in between? Sorry folks, the King is dead and you haven't had any leadership since. Take a step back and think, what got Alberta in this mess in the first place?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Notley started all this? Riiiggghhhttt. Your beloved PC's started all this crap. I remember the stink about Redford discussed on this board... Would you like Redford back with her energy plan? How about Stelmach or the rest of the merry bunch in between? Sorry folks, the King is dead and you haven't had any leadership since. Take a step back and think, what got Alberta in this mess in the first place?
The truth has been spoken.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Polotics

Quote:

Agreed, we got the NDP because we couldn't trust the PC's anymore. We need a new leadership, but haven't got it. Thus these bozos who are in right now will have two terms. Imagine the damage they'll cause in that time.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
We need to get off coal, new technologies will create new jobs. Nobody said being responsible would be easy. There will be pain in the coal sector, but change is inevitable.
Yes, I suppose you are right. Now if you would be so kind as to hand in your resignation and post your job to be given to someone from Hanna. As well could you please offer to swap the deed for your house with someone in Hanna as well. There, when you have done your part we will all jump on the bandwagon I am sure. After all nobody said it would be easy, and a little change on your part is inevitable.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Who was " the merry bunch in between"? ... the last Conservative Gov't. this province had was Kleins first term... the Liberals began to infiltrate during his second term and took over once Eddy came in 3rd and won the leadership. FWIW, a huge chunk of the reason Ab. in this mess now was it's own success, boom times created mass migration into the province...many of the newcomers thought the streets were paved with gold and all they had to do to get "their fair share" was show up and collect their cheque, when that didn't work out, who else would they blame but the gov't. of the day, and vote in the same useless party that caused them to leave their home provinces in the first place ?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Who was " the merry bunch in between"? ... the last Conservative Gov't. this province had was Kleins first term... the Liberals began to infiltrate during his second term and took over once Eddy came in 3rd and won the leadership. FWIW, a huge chunk of the reason Ab. in this mess now was it's own success, boom times created mass migration into the province...many of the newcomers thought the streets were paved with gold and all they had to do to get "their fair share" was show up and collect their cheque, when that didn't work out, who else would they blame but the gov't. of the day, and vote in the same useless party that caused them to leave their home provinces in the first place ?
It's not only premiers running the province, that's the merry bunch in between.

and you're dead on with the rest. Prentice was right when he said look in the mirror.

Alberta needs some real leadership - to look out for the provinces needs, not federally or the rest of the world. I'm sure there's a few on here that would do a great job, but alas, all anyone ever does is complain.

Funny thing eh? People that protest are despised, told to shut up but they always seem to make a difference - for right or wrong.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It's not only premiers running the province, that's the merry bunch in between.

and you're dead on with the rest. Prentice was right when he said look in the mirror.

Alberta needs some real leadership - to look out for the provinces needs, not federally or the rest of the world. I'm sure there's a few on here that would do a great job, but alas, all anyone ever does is complain.

Funny thing eh? People that protest are despised, told to shut up but they always seem to make a difference - for right or wrong.
I guess as long as you're protesting against something that the Gov't. is as well....however if you're protesting say... a ridiculous farm bill or a onerous, useless cash grab tax... then the protest falls on deaf ears, or the left wing nuts write the protesters off as "uneducated".. and is totally ignored by the sitting Gov't.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchammer View Post
Yes, I suppose you are right. Now if you would be so kind as to hand in your resignation and post your job to be given to someone from Hanna. As well could you please offer to swap the deed for your house with someone in Hanna as well. There, when you have done your part we will all jump on the bandwagon I am sure. After all nobody said it would be easy, and a little change on your part is inevitable.
Thanks...but I know I'm right. Already sold the house in Hanna. My father died of lung cancer and is buried in the cemetery on the hill.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
We need to get off coal, new technologies will create new jobs. Nobody said being responsible would be easy. There will be pain in the coal sector, but change is inevitable.
And you sir should donate $100,000 to help China reduce their dependence on coal before you die in a global warming explosion.

How far are YOU personally willing to put your pocket book in front of your fears?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What has that got to do with this discussion?.. the left wing's constant deflection to the other parties policies is getting a little old while discussing the current Government's bumbling of the whacked out legislation they are implementing....
Stop pointing out the elephant in the room sir.

FTH
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM

Where is the opposition?

What happened with the carbon tax rally?
It was a very poor turnout from what i saw.
Of course a government is going to do whatever they want with a limp opposition.

Ndp are only half to blame. Wr takes the other half of the blame.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Where is the opposition?

What happened with the carbon tax rally?
It was a very poor turnout from what i saw.
Of course a government is going to do whatever they want with a limp opposition.

Ndp are only half to blame. Wr takes the other half of the blame.
There's been 2 rallies,3,000 at the outdoor one and the hall in Calgary was full to capacity, the WR has been on the Gov't. everyday when the house was sitting...what have YOU done?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Default Nutley

Nutley is one of the only people on earth that can make Redford look good and that is a very hard thing to do!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
And you sir should donate $100,000 to help China reduce their dependence on coal before you die in a global warming explosion.
How far are YOU personally willing to put your pocket book in front of your fears?
What China does has no bearing on what I do ... that's just a cop out. Bottom line is the "if he doesn't do it, I shouldn't have to either" just doesn't cut it with me.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:

And you don't think we would be complaining if it was still Stelmach, Prentice or Redford.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

Some of you guys are hilarious. You do realize that coal use is dropping in both the U.S. and China and that coal plant closures are happening everywhere.

China already gets a higher proportion of its electricity from renewables than Alberta does and is deploying more renewables than anyone else in the world. Check out all the Republican states that already have way more wind than Alberta. Texas already has 10 times as much as we do!

Alberta is going to replace 2/3 of coal with natural gas. How crazy green!

Could post the links but suggest you do your own research rather than circulating the same fake stats
Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Some of you guys are hilarious. You do realize that coal use is dropping in both the U.S. and China and that coal plant closures are happening everywhere.

China already gets a higher proportion of its electricity from renewables than Alberta does and is deploying more renewables than anyone else in the world. Check out all the Republican states that already have way more wind than Alberta. Texas already has 10 times as much as we do!

Alberta is going to replace 2/3 of coal with natural gas. How crazy green!

Could post the links but suggest you do your own research rather than circulating the same fake stats
No, you should post the links. Also give the cost of setting up reliable renewable sources in China and Texas. BTW, I call bs on this.

In addition, just because other countries are dropping coal it doesn't mean it's a good idea for us..
Old 12-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And you don't think we would be complaining if it was still Stelmach, Prentice or Redford.
Oh, I know everyone would be complaining... Search the forum
Old 12-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
What China does has no bearing on what I do ... that's just a cop out. Bottom line is the "if he doesn't do it, I shouldn't have to either" just doesn't cut it with me.
I prefer government changed it's motto to
"
1. Before we decide to do something we have to have a clear vision of what exactly we are trying to accomplish and how to measure success,
2. Everything we do should achieve some (may be intermediate) goal,
3. Every step must be done in efficient and cost effective manner
"

Well, maybe in 2 years we can change a motto along with a government

PS. And above all as a no-go test "We do not take stupid actions which do not accomplish anything even if it looks and sounds cool and popular" - hope I didn't quote Saskatchewan primer by accident

Last edited by ak-71; 12-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
In addition, just because other countries are dropping coal it doesn't mean it's a good idea for us..
Kind of like idling in a school drop-off zone ... just because other parents are not running their vehicles is no reason for me to shut mine down!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kind of like idling in a school drop-off zone ... just because other parents are not running their vehicles is no reason for me to shut mine down!
Exactly. My concern is the coming shortage of C02. Idle away!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Re-read your own posts - you, basically, agree that 5 plants will not make a difference, there will be a lot more coal plants in 10 years in the world, but you support the plan because it makes you feel more morally right and virtuous.
Do I interpret your words right?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Retiring coal early, blowing up the energy market? Was this the NDP? Yes
There was a plan in place to retire units by the PC government which allowed the free market to sort it out, by the way it was working. Now we will spent billions. All carbon tax raised will pay for this and it still won't be enough.
Not just disappointed in the NDP our Feds are much the same.
Our economy is in real trouble and about to get much worse.
Cheap energy is what allowed us as a young nation to grow.

Guess I am feeling disappointed in all governments at this point.
If there is no money left to spend cut back.
That being said PC's in AB could have done a much better job when the money was flowing.

Sorry just felt like ranting.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
How about we destroy our economy and destroy our standard of living when no one else does doesn't make sense either.

Point is we are moth balling good coal power plants while China builds new ones. Why then sir are you paying more for power while China does nothing but drop their power costs.

Not only do you waste money but you subsidize chinas economy at the expense of your own.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Re-read your own posts - you, basically, agree that 5 plants will not make a difference, there will be a lot more coal plants in 10 years in the world, but you support the plan because it makes you feel more morally right and virtuous.
Do I interpret your words right?
Not even close ... and your extrapolation is not even on the same planet.